Sign in to follow this  
Mighty

Risk of eggbound goldfish

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I was wondering how big of a risk egg binding is in female goldfish.. I have a female Jikin all by herself right now and I want to find her a companion but so far I only have eyes for other females. Do you guys think 2 females would be fine together indefinitely or do they need a male to help them expel eggs?

I see egg bound goldfish on social media from time to time but I'm not sure if I'm worrying over something extremely unlikely or if I really need to keep it in mind when stocking my tanks to be safe.

Thanks for any input

I have seen no evidence to support the popular belief that the absence of a male leads to egg binding.  Every confirmed case of egg binding I have heard of had at least one male in the tank.  I say "confirmed" because people tend to diagnose any bloating in a female without pineconing as egg binding.  Actually, the only tank in which  I personally have seen eggs (they disappear fast) contained four females.

I have had quite a few tanks with just females in there and never had that problem. right now I got 2 girls and they been laying eggs by themselves :lol 

To truly confirm egg binding, one would need to open a fish up. Many people can't bring themselves to do this or can't be bothered and so they just assume egg binding. I had eggs in my main tank a while back. I didn't know the genders of the 3 fish in the tank at the time. They're all female it turns out. 

Well that is good to hear, thanks for the replies!