The next phase. Any advice?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice find on the tank, Everyone has such pretty tanks....with the sand, plants and all....My sister makes fun of my tank because I have NOTHING in it, bare bottom, no background, just water, bubbles....and Sushi....Super easy for me to clean....:teehee

8 hours ago, DebDee said:

Nice find on the tank, Everyone has such pretty tanks....with the sand, plants and all....My sister makes fun of my tank because I have NOTHING in it, bare bottom, no background, just water, bubbles....and Sushi....Super easy for me to clean....:teehee

Thank you. Yeah, I think it's nice too. For now.

Give me a couple more months, and I could be cursing the day I said sand would be cool. I could well be back to a bare bottom myself.

I do like the look of it, and Piggy seems to love sifting through it. I'll persevere.

Just need to get my sand cleaning tactics sorted :flex:

On 08/06/2017 at 4:59 AM, titch said:

Oooh yey! No ferts. Minimal plant maintenance. Sounds good to me!

Lights arrived but one is damaged (it's bowed for some reason). Return organised & replacement will be delivered tomorrow. I tried them both on the glass sliders before repackaging the one back up. Have to say, pretty impressed. 

Was unsure how well the light would penetrate through the glass & down 24" of water, but they've defo surpassed expectations.

I'm a happy bunny & Piggy has perked right up!

:redbanana::greenbanana:

Even weaker, cheaper lights will penetrate water well and look bright. What you pay for, is really radiation penetrating power. The more expensive light units will give you greater PAR at depths. (PAR stands for photosynthetically active radiation. To put it crudely, it's the bit of light plants find useful.)

Edited by Daniel

19 hours ago, Daniel said:

PAR stands for photosynthetically active radiation

I knew that... :whistle

19 hours ago, Daniel said:

To put it crudely, it's the bit of light plants find useful.)

Now you're talking in a language I understand. The cruder the better I guess! :rofl2

Well they work and look pretty, so that's good enough for me. Time will tell if they're good enough for the plants however.

• Admin
28 minutes ago, DawnMichele said:

That's easy for you Koko!!!!   :teehee

Hey now Missy :P 

Ill get you my pretty and your little dog Toto to :rofl 

OK, so we're off on holiday a week today :panana We fly out early Tuesday morning , returning late on the Wednesday night (just over a week later).

Whilst we're away, there will be no fish sitter - so no WC or feeding.

What's the best protocol before I go?

WC - how many and how big? Should I do a couple of 50% changes on the Sunday & Monday prior to leaving?

Feeding - should I feed as normal in the run up to leaving or reduce the amount/times I feed? He has some elodea densa in the tank which he can nibble on while we're away, but is there anything else I could add as a go-to-snack?

Is there anything else I need to think about/do?

Also... how do you guys cool your tanks down? We've had quite a heatwave here over the last fews days and the tank temp has risen to 28-29*C. I've tried using the frozen water bottle trick, but it doesn't make a dent! Trying to cool 600 litres of water is tricky! WC bring the temp down a couple of degrees only for it to climb back up.

I have the hood & glass condensation trays open, 2 large airstones running and the filter outlets pointing up to agitate the surface. The lights don't seem to kick out much heat, but I've left one of them turned off, so one end of the tank is pretty much in total darkness. The tank doesn't get any direct sunlight, but I've kept the blinds down in the room to help a little.  Any other suggestions?

So far, Piggy is coping ok. He's a little slower than normal, but isn't showing any signs of distress.

100% water change before you leave.  Don't clean any algae from the tank walls.  The fish can nibble on this.

Your temperature is fine.  If it goes much above 32, your fish may feel sluggish, but won't suffer any harm.  If you aren't miserable from the heat your fish won't even notice.

Goldfish can go a couple of weeks without food and feel good.  The elodea will probably disappear fast.  More won't foul the water, so you could add more if you can get it.

7 hours ago, shakaho said:

100% water change before you leave.  Don't clean any algae from the tank walls.  The fish can nibble on this.

Your temperature is fine.  If it goes much above 32, your fish may feel sluggish, but won't suffer any harm.  If you aren't miserable from the heat your fish won't even notice.

Goldfish can go a couple of weeks without food and feel good.  The elodea will probably disappear fast.  More won't foul the water, so you could add more if you can get it.

Brill, thank you. 

100% WC may be a little difficult tho. I have to filter out my nitrates from the tap water at a rate of 1-2 litres per minute. It took me 6.5hrs to fill the tank for the first time! :wacko:

I usually age my water for 24hrs before each WC & I simply don't have enough water barrels/buckets to store 600 litres! I do have enough for approx. 350 litres though. 

Is it vital I do 1 x 100% WC? Would 2 x 350 litre changes do the trick (approx. 60% each time)?

Should I just feed as normal up until we leave?

2 hours ago, DawnMichele said:

:hi Hi Titch!!!! Hope you have a safe and wonderful holiday!!!! My BEST to the Goldfish!!!! 

Thanks Dawn - we can't wait. It's been a couple of years since we had a break (my hubby set up his own business 18 months ago, so time & money have been tight).

I'm sure Piggy will be fine without us for a week or so. AND when we get back I can go shopping for some friends for him! Woop!

1 hour ago, titch said:

Brill, thank you. 

100% WC may be a little difficult tho. I have to filter out my nitrates from the tap water at a rate of 1-2 litres per minute. It took me 6.5hrs to fill the tank for the first time! :wacko:

I usually age my water for 24hrs before each WC & I simply don't have enough water barrels/buckets to store 600 litres! I do have enough for approx. 350 litres though. 

Is it vital I do 1 x 100% WC? Would 2 x 350 litre changes do the trick (approx. 60% each time)?

Thanks Dawn - we can't wait. It's been a couple of years since we had a break (my hubby set up his own business 18 months ago, so time & money have been tight).

I'm sure Piggy will be fine without us for a week or so. AND when we get back I can go shopping for some friends for him! Woop!

:redbanana:   :redbanana:    :redbanana:

On 6/20/2017 at 9:36 PM, titch said:

Sorry to pester you good people, but would 2 WC of 350 litres be OK (one on Sunday, one on Monday), rather than 1 x 100% (reasoning above)?

And can I feed as normal up until we jet off or should I reduce the times/amount I feed over the next couple of days (to break him in gently)?