Jump to content

The next phase. Any advice?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Regular Member

So....the lights on my tank have stopped working. So that's fun.

Piggy is not happy at all. He's been sulking ever since they went off.

I desperately need to replace them ASAP to cheer him up - black on black makes it soooooo dark!! 

Shopping for lights is truly doing my head in. I genuinely don't understand ANY of it (far too many abbreviations, letters and numbers for my liking!). I've currently got hubby on the case.

AND lights are so expensive. I don't have much of a budget at the moment so really struggling to find anything.

Why isn't there a website that simply tells you "Hey, these are perfect for 72"x24"x24" tank with black sand and black background, and they're only £50!!"

That would be awesome!!

:blowup:

Edited by titch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
18 minutes ago, titch said:

So....the lights on my tank have stopped working. So that's fun.

Piggy is not happy at all. He's been sulking ever since they went off.

I desperately need to replace them ASAP to cheer him up - black on black makes it soooooo dark!! 

Shopping for lights is truly doing my head in. I genuinely don't understand ANY of it (far too many abbreviations, letters and numbers for my liking!). I've currently got hubby on the case.

AND lights are so expensive. I don't have much of a budget at the moment so really struggling to find anything.

Why isn't there a website that simply tells you "Hey, these are perfect for 72"x24"x24" tank with black sand and black background, and they're only £50!!"

That would be awesome!!

:blowup:

Oh no and this is your new big tank :o I will try and help what is the length Im so tired I can't read right :rofl 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
1 hour ago, koko said:

Oh no and this is your new big tank :o I will try and help what is the length Im so tired I can't read right :rofl 

Aw thanks Koko.

It's 72" total length, but it has a hood, so the lights can't be suspended or sit on the tank rim. They need to either be attached to the inside of the hood, or sit on the glass brace bars. The tank has condensation glass panels, and I have NO idea if they'll affect how much light gets through.

I'm thinking 2 x 3ft units, but it's so confusing - lumens, wattage, PAR (or something equally as brain twisting). I simply don't get it.

LEDs would be preferred if poss.

56 minutes ago, DawnMichele said:

I hope you find something.

Thank you, me too!

Piggy is really not happy. Hasn't been very active at all since the the lights went out. I think the fact he's now on his own won't be helping either :(

Edited by titch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
48 minutes ago, koko said:

Well if your not going to have plants that require a lot of light you could get away with Leds hun. :) 

No, none that require a LOT of light, but there will be plants (anubias mainly as well as dwarf water lettuce, elodea).

Hubby has found me something cheap n cheerful that'll do for now (delivery tomorrow).

By no means do I think they'll be the answer long-term, but I can get them quickly & hopefully they'll cheer Piggy up.

So, please give me your recommendations & I'll revisit them when budget allows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
1 hour ago, titch said:

No, none that require a LOT of light, but there will be plants (anubias mainly as well as dwarf water lettuce, elodea).

Hubby has found me something cheap n cheerful that'll do for now (delivery tomorrow).

By no means do I think they'll be the answer long-term, but I can get them quickly & hopefully they'll cheer Piggy up.

So, please give me your recommendations & I'll revisit them when budget allows.

Hi, I have 2 3foot LED units on my 6 foot tank resting on the glass condensation sheet, I got them on eBay.....best thing I ever did the plants have gone crazy!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
53 minutes ago, fingers said:

Hi, I have 2 3foot LED units on my 6 foot tank resting on the glass condensation sheet, I got them on eBay.....best thing I ever did the plants have gone crazy!!!!

Oooh... that's reassuring. 

Are they all-singing all-dancing or just cheapo(ish) ones?

I've ordered 2 3ft led units. Hoping they'll be good enough but I'll know better tomorrow if/when they arrive. Fingers crossed!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
13 minutes ago, titch said:

Oooh... that's reassuring. 

Are they all-singing all-dancing or just cheapo(ish) ones?

I've ordered 2 3ft led units. Hoping they'll be good enough but I'll know better tomorrow if/when they arrive. Fingers crossed!

I think about £30 each!!   designed for plants or marine! around 120 LEDs per unit!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
11 minutes ago, fingers said:

I think about £30 each!!   designed for plants or marine! around 120 LEDs per unit!!

Nice!

I've ordered the 3ft AquarienEco ones, 35 quid each with about the same number of LEDs as yours. For the money, I'm really not expecting much but we'll see. To be fair, I'll just be happy to see Piggy again!! :teehee

Hope I'm as impressed with mine as you are with yours. 

P.s. PHOTOS PLEASE!!!! :)

Edited by titch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
1 minute ago, titch said:

Nice!

I've ordered the 3ft AquarienEco ones, 35 quid each with about the same number of LEDs as yours. For the money, I'm really not expecting much but we'll see. To be fair, I'll just be happy to see Piggy again!! :teehee

Hope I'm as impressed with mine as you are with yours. 

Sounds similar!!... seriously good lighting mine can have blue or white or both!!....I leave them all on for 8 hours a day!....the growlux tubes I used to use were £25 per tube!!!....best thing I ever did changing over.   I hope it works out for you too!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
8 minutes ago, fingers said:

Sounds similar!!... seriously good lighting mine can have blue or white or both!!....I leave them all on for 8 hours a day!....the growlux tubes I used to use were £25 per tube!!!....best thing I ever did changing over.   I hope it works out for you too!!

Thank you, me too. 

Point me in the direction of photos of your setup. Would love to see it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
37 minutes ago, titch said:

Thank you, me too. 

Point me in the direction of photos of your setup. Would love to see it!

Just took this with my phone...not very clear but you get the idea!!IMG_20170606_224633_zpsxfjicwet.jpg

This tank has the same lights lIMG_20170606_225311_zpsizueyqw0.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
11 hours ago, fingers said:

Just took this with my phone...not very clear but you get the idea!!

Wow! Nice tanks.

Your plants look amazing too! There's hope for me yet :teehee

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
15 hours ago, fingers said:

Just took this with my phone...not very clear but you get the idea!!IMG_20170606_224633_zpsxfjicwet.jpg

This tank has the same lights lIMG_20170606_225311_zpsizueyqw0.jpg

 

No Co2 or plant food in there Fingers? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
4 hours ago, koko said:

No Co2 or plant food in there Fingers? 

Hi Koko! I just put minimal amount of Flourish excel Mon Wed and Friday and liquid ferts at each water change in the octagonal tank, nothing in the big tank except the lights!!!  :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
1 hour ago, fingers said:

Hi Koko! I just put minimal amount of Flourish excel Mon Wed and Friday and liquid ferts at each water change in the octagonal tank, nothing in the big tank except the lights!!!  :-)

Oooh yey! No ferts. Minimal plant maintenance. Sounds good to me!

Lights arrived but one is damaged (it's bowed for some reason). Return organised & replacement will be delivered tomorrow. I tried them both on the glass sliders before repackaging the one back up. Have to say, pretty impressed. 

Was unsure how well the light would penetrate through the glass & down 24" of water, but they've defo surpassed expectations.

I'm a happy bunny & Piggy has perked right up!

:redbanana::greenbanana:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
9 hours ago, titch said:

Wow! Nice tanks.

Your plants look amazing too! There's hope for me yet :teehee

Thanks!!....I'm sure you will be happy with the new lights!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
1 minute ago, titch said:

Oooh yey! No ferts. Minimal plant maintenance. Sounds good to me!

Lights arrived but one is damaged (it's bowed for some reason). Return organised & replacement will be delivered tomorrow. I tried them both on the glass sliders before repackaging the one back up. Have to say, pretty impressed. 

Was unsure how well the light would penetrate through the glass & down 24" of water, but they've defo surpassed expectations.

I'm a happy bunny & Piggy has perked right up!

:redbanana::greenbanana:

Lol...I posted at the same time!!.... glad you like the lights!.....I would never go back!!!!! :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
52 minutes ago, fingers said:

Lol...I posted at the same time!!.... glad you like the lights!.....I would never go back!!!!! :-)

Well if first impressions are anything to go by, I can't imagine I'll be upgrading anytime soon.

And to be fair, for the money, even if they only last a year I don't mind forking out another 60 odd quid to replace them. 

Next step... plants! ☺️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
9 minutes ago, titch said:

Well if first impressions are anything to go by, I can't imagine I'll be upgrading anytime soon.

And to be fair, for the money, even if they only last a year I don't mind forking out another 60 odd quid to replace them. 

Next step... plants! ☺️

Exactly my thoughts!!..... Chinese workmanship at its finest!!!!!!..:-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...