The next phase. Any advice?

So some of you may have seen my intro thread which details my rise from a 10 litre bowl :hide: to a 190 Juwel Trigon and now a Juwel Rio 240. Some of you may have seen my D&D threads (yes, plural), but hopefully things may be on the up where they’re concerned. Fingers crossed.

Since upgrading the last time, I‘ve been hankering after a BIG tank…something I can keep more than a couple of piggies in. I figured it would be something I could aim for in a few years’ time, which would give me a chance to save my pennies.

I emailed a couple of custom tank manufacturers to get an idea of cost. Custom builds are a LOT of money. :thud Who knew?! When I’d recovered from the shock I tried to put the idea to the back of mind.

Having said that, I can’t resist checking out eBay and Gumtree for a bargain – you never know what might be had. That’s when I found this…

_86_zpsxv6psftb.jpg

It’s an ND Aquatics custom build tank, complete with cabinet, hood & LED lighting, and it’s currently sat in my dining room :happydance It measures 6ft x 2ft x 2ft, just short of 600 litres.

I’ve checked the tank over and aside from a couple of minor scratches and needing a good clean it looks in pretty good shape. It’s been empty for about a month (previously running with Cichlids) and I’m assured it’s watertight (I’ll be checking though, obviously!). The cabinet and hood are immaculate.

The picture was taken by the previous owner before he removed the sand and equipment. He’s also cleaned the glass of algae and removed the background, so a little less elbow grease required by me.

I’m now itching to get it set up, but I’m still treating Winston’s mysterious illness, so moving to a new tank isn’t really on the cards any time soon.

It gives me time to plan though…

I’d like to go ‘stealth-mode’ on this tank. Black background & black sand. Love this look.

I’d also like to use wood  as my hardscape but I’m pretty nervous about this, since the last piece of wood I had could’ve been the root cause of all my fishy issues with Winston (I threw it away in the end, just in case).

Does anyone have any advice with regards to wood? I’m thinking redmoor root, simply because they’re generally long and narrow, so there’s little chance of any hollows for water to stagnate in. That is if I can find a piece that doesn’t have any sharp pointy bits my piggies can injure themselves on, but I’m open to suggestions.

Those of you with black backgrounds, did you paint them or use one of those you buy off a roll by the foot? I’m thinking of painting it but concerned if I ever got bored it’d be a nightmare to remove.

Any and all advice is GREATLY received. I want to get this right.

I’m so excited.  Think of the extra space I can fill with Orandas and Ranchu!!!!! :9

I’m going on holiday at the end of June and my hearts says get it set up before, but my head says wait til I’m back.

I have no patience. Koko will attest to that!  :teehee

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin

WOW what a great find hun :o

I dont paint my backs anymore.. In fact Justine and I have been finger painting and then we use those for the back ground :)

Me personally wouldn't use logs or wood. the problem with it is it can change your PH, KH and GH in the tank. Also some logs have holes in them allowing water to get stuck in the log and go bad :( What about big River rocks :) 

Just now, koko said:

WOW what a great find hun :o

I dont paint my backs anymore.. In fact Justine and I have been finger painting and then we use those for the back ground :)

Me personally wouldn't use logs or wood. the problem with it is it can change your PH, KH and GH in the tank. Also some logs have holes in them allowing water to get stuck in the log and go bad :( What about big River rocks :) 

Awww.... I knew you'd say that!! :tantrumLol!

River rocks were my first idea if I'm honest, but 1) I don't like the look as much as wood and 2) they're really difficult to find in a decent size.

I'll keep thinking...

• Admin
1 minute ago, titch said:

Awww.... I knew you'd say that!! :tantrumLol!

River rocks were my first idea if I'm honest, but 1) I don't like the look as much as wood and 2) they're really difficult to find in a decent size.

I'll keep thinking...

I love the look of logs in the tank. I had one my self years ago... Problem that happened with mine.... It fit the tank perfectly but I didn't know it had some holes allowing the water to get stuck. After about a month my fish started to act strange. Then one had Septa... then another got white gills... Soon one died and I had to act quickly ... took the log out change all the water ..... and Got 2 out of three out of danger... I won't do that again. Im even scared of hollow ornaments too.. same issue :( 

Just now, koko said:

I love the look of logs in the tank. I had one my self years ago... Problem that happened with mine.... It fit the tank perfectly but I didn't know it had some holes allowing the water to get stuck. After about a month my fish started to act strange. Then one had Septa... then another got white gills... Soon one died and I had to act quickly ... took the log out change all the water ..... and Got 2 out of three out of danger... I won't do that again. Im even scared of hollow ornaments too.. same issue :( 

Scary!! :scared 

Back to the drawing board. I know I'd like have sand, anubias and perhaps java fern. Just need to figure out what I can safely attach the plants to instead of wood. Hmmmm.....

What do you have in your tank?

• Admin

Me I got a long piece of slate that I tied two plants on too... Also got this too 

She gave me a lot :o 

I can get you a photo of you like... not the prettiest tank in the forum but they like it :teehee 

2 hours ago, koko said:

I can get you a photo of you like... not the prettiest tank in the forum but they like it :teehee 

Yes please! Photos - I need inspiration!

Awww... how cute is your ranchu?! :wub:

I'd seen salvinia minima mentioned before, I like how it looks so that could be a goer. Can I do a bleach dip on these as I would the anubias & java fern?

I'll look into rocks more. Their weight makes me nervous though in a tank - is that irrational? I have a fear of dropping them while moving to clean underneath and cracking the glass bottom. Plus the additional weight (water + sand + rocks = :scared). I've very paranoid about tanks exploding! 

My husband keeps reassuring me about it all, but there's always a niggle of doubt in the back of my mind (especially with a secondhand tank - the guy seemed pretty upfront about everything, but you never know what sellers 'forget' to mention). Daft isn't it.

Me personally wouldn't use logs or wood. the problem with it is it can change your PH, KH and GH in the tank

Is there no PH, KH or GH issue with rocks then?

Edited by titch

• Admin
5 hours ago, titch said:

Awww... how cute is your ranchu?! :wub:

I'd seen salvinia minima mentioned before, I like how it looks so that could be a goer. Can I do a bleach dip on these as I would the anubias & java fern?

I have done a very light bleach on those before... :) 

5 hours ago, titch said:

I'll look into rocks more. Their weight makes me nervous though in a tank - is that irrational? I have a fear of dropping them while moving to clean underneath and cracking the glass bottom. Plus the additional weight (water + sand + rocks = :scared). I've very paranoid about tanks exploding! 

I get that way some times. But I make sure that I don't drop them in the tank or I scootch the rocks or slate over on the tank... I have to do that with the one I got now. I personally get all my rocks from the LFS cause last time I got them from a land yard it wasn't just a plan rock it had some other mineral in the rock and started to rust :o 

5 hours ago, titch said:

My husband keeps reassuring me about it all, but there's always a niggle of doubt in the back of my mind (especially with a secondhand tank - the guy seemed pretty upfront about everything, but you never know what sellers 'forget' to mention). Daft isn't it.

Is there no PH, KH or GH issue with rocks then?

Not with plane old rocks you can get from the LFS... 

2 hours ago, koko said:

Not with plane old rocks you can get from the LFS... 

1 hour ago, shakaho said:

Not usually, just injury to the fish and gunk caught under or between rocks.  Smooth rocks, spaced well apart seem harmless.

The smooth ones are proving tricky to find in anything larger than a pebble. Plenty of lava rock & the like in a decent size but so far nothing smooth. 

Think I'll have to widen the search area! 

Tank is clean! Woop! 

Question - if I transfer my current FX6 (running on my Rio at the mo) over to this tank & add another new FX6 will I have to cycle the tank or will I have an 'instant cycle' due to my matured filter?

You should have an instant cycle, but keeping testing to be sure. If you get no ammonia/nitrite for a week, you can safely say that the system has cycled.

1 hour ago, shakaho said:

You should have an instant cycle, but keeping testing to be sure. If you get no ammonia/nitrite for a week, you can safely say that the system has cycled.

Fab, thank you. 

Just saw this thread.  How exciting!!  Can't wait to see what you come up with.  I'm a black background black sand kinda girl myself. :rofl3  

I have driftwood with anubias . . . :peeka

• Admin
30 minutes ago, fantailfan1 said:

Just saw this thread.  How exciting!!  Can't wait to see what you come up with.  I'm a black background black sand kinda girl myself. :rofl3  

I been using Justines paintings for my back ground :teehee 

1 hour ago, fantailfan1 said:

Thank you. I'm like a kid a Christmas!! CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!

Do you have any pics of your tank. I love seeing other people's tanks - gives me inspiration :)

I'm not allowed to use wood though. Koko has put her foot down and won't let me!! :thumbdown    :teehee