Sign in to follow this  
ANGELMB15

Microbe lift broad spectrum

Hello I was just wondering if anyone knew if the Microbe Lift Broad Spectrum medication would still be ok to use after 4 years in storage?  I can't find any info on this.  Thank you.

What do you want to use it for? It sounds pretty harsh to me.

For my pond. I used to treat it every spring when I had fish in it, but the past 2 years I didn't have time for it. 

Were your fish sick in the spring?

Just curious about what you would prevent by treating healthy fish with toxic chemicals. That's a risky treatment for a fish that is sick with a parasite infestation, but it should reduce the parasites.  If the fish isn't suffering from a parasite you get the toxic effect on the fish and nothing else.

The past two years you didn't have time for it, you said. Did the fish seem any worse off in those two years? If not, I suspect that you can forgo the treatment as they probably don't need it. Malachite green is pretty harsh and formaldehyde is used to preserve the dead so I don't need to say anything else about its harshness. 

If you insist on treating with it, I would go with a new bottle. An aged bottle of harsh chemicals probably isn't the best thing to use in your pond. A NEW bottle of harsh chemicals is not the best thing to use in your pond, either but there it goes.

If you suspect parasites, many pond keepers advocate the use of powdered praziquantel during the warm up. It is much safer when used as a preventative.