Fish Of Gold

HELP! Fish injured when stuck on filter intake tube!!

Yes I'm sorry, o was under the impression the c shape was from physical trauma, not that this was a normal filter and a fish so sick it just floated to the intake.  That's a totally different bear.

I can try to catch up on your other thread a little later if you'd like.  

3 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Yes I'm sorry, o was under the impression the c shape was from physical trauma, not that this was a normal filter and a fish so sick it just floated to the intake.  That's a totally different bear.

I can try to catch up on your other thread a little later if you'd like.  

Yes please, thanks.

On 4/28/2017 at 1:29 AM, Arctic Mama said:

Yes, generally speaking a fish who gets stuck to a covered filter intake is already sick.  They don't usually get damage from that though, aside from some shredded fins where they get pulled into the tube.  

But if an intake is knocked loose and they get suctioned to the smaller tube then yes we can expect real injury.  That's what I was picturing with tricycle. If he got these injuries or the C shape with an intact filter intake I'd be much more concerned about underlying issues.

I didn’t put a cover on my filter and one of the fish I got today got his fins stuck in the filter I turned it off and he got out but I’m not sure how long he was in there but yes eventually after trying to swim around for 5 minutes he sank to the bottom and wasn’t breathing I don’t think he was sick because I got him today I’m buying a filter cover tommorow but so you need a filter cover for all filters?

Yes an intake guard is definitely needed, not only to protect the fish but it also stops any big solid pieces getting sucked in and ruining the filter