Fish Of Gold

HELP! Fish injured when stuck on filter intake tube!!

I just walked into the bedroom to make a few videos for Youtube and seen my goldfish Tricycle stuck to the intake tube of the filter. I don't know how long he was stuck there. I turned the filter off and got him loose but he doesn't look too good! He is in a "C" shape floating around. He tries to swim but eventually went to the bottom of the tank behind his favorite sleeping spots behind a plant. He usually rests on the bottom several times a day now that his one eye has gotten so big so that is pretty normal for him. His fins look so tattered and very red, I never thought I'd have to see the day when I get a goldfish stuck to the filter intake tube! HELP! What should I do?

102_9946.JPG

More pictures of Tricycle...

102_9943.JPG

One more...

102_9945.JPG

I'm sorry, I've had that happen to me as well.  My fish didn't make it though he hung on for a few days.  The best and only real treatment, if there is one, is the obvious - a warm, dark quarantine tank with no current.  If there is an open wound a low salt concentration can encourage more slime coat production (.1% should be fine for this) but otherwise just putting him in a low stress environment should help if he is going to make it.  

I'd also not try feeding him for a day or two.  Injured and stunned fish don't eat well and he needs to get a leg up on healing before we ask him to digest anything on top of it.

Of of course the obvious - if he refuses to swim or it appears his spine is broken (can be straighten out at all?) euthanizing him is really the only option.  

Good luck to you and Tricycle :(

7 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Of of course the obvious - if he refuses to swim or it appears his spine is broken (can be straighten out at all?) euthanizing him is really the only option.  

Good luck to you and Tricycle :(

Thank you for your help! I'll get him in the QT tank ASAP with a bit of salt. He's still holding on, but not swimming too much, just a squirming type of swimming a few inches every now and then. He looks a bit straighter now but not like normal though.

Keep us posted as to how he is doing and you can report if you need more help and we haven't responded in 24 hours.

21 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Keep us posted as to how he is doing and you can report if you need more help and we haven't responded in 24 hours.

When Tricycle was in the main tank he was still on the bottom behind his plant when I went in to  move him to the QT tank. After placing him in the QT tank he just floated on the water's surface in the corner all night. When I checked him before bed at midnight, he was still in that same corner not moving and still in the "C" shape. By morning I checked on him around 7 and he still hadn't moved but his fins were slightly moving and he was looking around. Had to leave the house for several hours, when I came back he was no longer floating and was swimming very slowly in the middle of the tank on the opposite side of where he was all night and this morning. Every time I sneak in to check on him he is always in a different spot in the tank slowly making laps around the tank and resting in between for a while. He looks better than yesterday and this morning. He seems to move his left fin more than the right one so maybe it might be too sore, but he can move it. He is no longer in a "C" shape and a lot straighter now.

I did not add any salt because I didn't know how much to add to the 10 gallon QT tank to make it 1%. Should I still add any? Some of his fins are still bloody looking. I didn't add any filter and no air bubble stone either because you said not to make any current. Will he be OK without those running in his tank? What about making any water changes while he is in there?

Edited by Fish Of Gold

Video I took of Tricycle tonight

Oh poor guy. He looks so sad. For a fish to get stuck to an intake usually means that he was probably weak or sick already. They don't suck in healthy fish. I hope he pulls through. 

Use the air stone, that won't make any appreciable current.

For the salt to be at .1%, that is about a teaspoon per gallon if you don't want to weigh it out.

13 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Use the air stone, that won't make any appreciable current.

For the salt to be at .1%, that is about a teaspoon per gallon if you don't want to weigh it out.

I added an air stone and he seems to like to lay right next to it occasionally. I added the Epsom Salt to1% also. You didn't mention anything about when or if I should do a water change, or should I just add a bit of Prime to help stabilize the water? Maybe a water change would stress him out too much still?

He is swimming more often today than yesterday. When he sees me he swims to the surface up in front of the tank like he usually did when it was feeding time in the main tank. Today he has been noticing the speckled pattern on the kitchen counter thru the bottom of his QT tank and keeps trying to eat them. Is it still too soon to give him anything to eat? He seems hungry today, but I don't want to rush into doing anything if you don't think he is ready to eat yet.

I'm sorry, I thought you had more experience with this, but I may be confusing you with another poster.  No Epsom salt please, aquarium salt only.  1 teaspoon per gallon.  That's the only additive I endorse for this situation.  Water changes in quarantine are 100% daily or, if you're feeding lightly enough, 100% every other day with a dose of prime on the non water change days.

Temperature should be warm, 75-76 degrees F or so, and the tank should have no substrate or cycled media.  There should be no lights on or loud noises by the tank if you can help it.  Dark and quiet means lower stress for the animal.

i mentioned fasting him for a day or two, but even after that don't feed too heavily.  One or two mouthfuls of food at a time is a good feed volume, twice daily.  If he is showing interest do try a feeding, but remember that we are looking at tiny tiny amounts and resist feeding him more until Saturday, at least.

56 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I'm sorry, I thought you had more experience with this, but I may be confusing you with another poster.  No Epsom salt please, aquarium salt only.  1 teaspoon per gallon.  That's the only additive I endorse for this situation.  Water changes in quarantine are 100% daily or, if you're feeding lightly enough, 100% every other day with a dose of prime on the non water change days.

Temperature should be warm, 75-76 degrees F or so, and the tank should have no substrate or cycled media.  There should be no lights on or loud noises by the tank if you can help it.  Dark and quiet means lower stress for the animal.

i mentioned fasting him for a day or two, but even after that don't feed too heavily.  One or two mouthfuls of food at a time is a good feed volume, twice daily.  If he is showing interest do try a feeding, but remember that we are looking at tiny tiny amounts and resist feeding him more until Saturday, at least.

I have sent you a PM by the way :) 

OOps I added Epsom salt, I will now go do a 100% change then and replace it with Aquarium salt instead.

Ok, yes I have been keeping his tank at 76 because that is what the main tank's temp is right now when I took him out the other day.

Yes, there is no sub or cycled media in the QT tank.

I have him in the one side of the kitchen, it is quiet in there and no windows, just has a little light from the dining room window. We have been keeping the ceiling light off if we go in there to get something or to cook we are just turning on the stove's hood light which doesn't shine in his tank. There is just a small dim night light on the other side of the room so he is barely lit at all so it is still dark on his side of the room. Yes we have been keeping as quiet as possible and barely going into the room so he can rest.

I did just give him 2 small blood worms which he gobbled up and begged for more but I didn't give in to his begging no matter how cute his googly eyes are looking at me! lol I will give him some more food before dark as his 2nd light feeding. OK no more after that until Saturday.

A question: 1. Should I stick to blood worms or can he have softened pellets too? Which one is better while he is in QT, or are both fine?

Let me clarify something - you can feed him two small meals daily until Saturday if he will eat them, at which point we can reassess and then up the feed volume if he is doing well. So you can feed him again tonight and twice tomorrow, twice Friday, and twice Saturday.  Make more sense?

Both food types are fine, if he will eat a softened pellet go for it.

The tank location sounds fine to me.

Edited by Arctic Mama

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

Let me clarify something - you can feed him two small meals daily until Saturday if he will eat them, at which point we can reassess and then up the feed volume if he is doing well. So you can feed him again tonight and twice tomorrow, twice Friday, and twice Saturday.  Make more sense?

Both food types are fine, if he will eat a softened pellet go for it.

The tank location sounds fine to me.

Yes I get it now, give him 2 small meals a day until Saturday, then we reassess, got it! ;) 

I just gave him a few bloodworms again for dinner which he gladly ate. I'll try a pellet tomorrow morning to see if he wants to eat it.

Kind of off topic a little bit, but mjfromga mentioned that usually only sick or weak fish get stuck to intake tubes, so that made me think about that for a while. He used to be a strong swimmer before his one eye got so big and he swims sort of wonky now and never very fast, plus his big eye makes him rest on the bottom several times a day, (Kind of reminds me of that one cute goldfish Googles big eyes) Well it seems that he doesn't see his food too well now and possibly Icicle and Fudgsicle are eating up his share of pellets as well as their own and that made him weaker now, I'm not sure. Do you think that may be a cause of why he got stuck to the intake filter tube? Same thing seems to happen with Popsicle in the other tank too, Dreamsicle and Creamsicle gobble up the food faster than Popsicle can see it, but he is not as bad in sight as Tricycle and I know Popsicle is getting food but maybe not his full share, but I'm not sure if Tricycle is getting his fair share really. Is there a way to make sure they all get their share of food?

I had one very tiny fish get stuck to an intake. It was not dead, but did not last through the next 24 hours despite my efforts. It was always a very small and weak fish (fry sized but many months old) and I just think there was something genetically wrong with it.

This fish does look sort of skinny but it might just be his eyes throwing me off. If he bottoms sits, it may be due to his weird eye, but I wouldn't think so. If I recall correctly, the fish called Googles had his swim bladder give out even before his eyes began to grow huge. All his fins also collapsed. 

I think the bottom sitting from time to time and the other issues were more likely a sign of him getting sick and this was the end result once he ran out of strength. Him not getting any food would have weakened him but that not be the lot of it. 

If you wanted to ensure the smaller, weaker fish get their fair share, I would begin by observing them during feeding time. This will tell you a lot. See who is getting how much. I failed at this initially with my first two fish and one fish got way more than the other and grew quite fast and the other never grew much. 

It also seems to help to drop a bit of food and let the larger and faster ones snag it and begin to chew and then while they are chewing, do a sort of "wave two" of food and you'll notice them ignore much of it since they are chewing their mouthfuls and then the dinkier ones can get some. This worked for me when I had a timid fish that just didn't seem to like to compete with the others.

Be careful to just split up a normal feeding to do this rather than adding the wave two as extra food. Over feeding is not good either. 

13 hours ago, mjfromga said:

I had one very tiny fish get stuck to an intake. It was not dead, but did not last through the next 24 hours despite my efforts. It was always a very small and weak fish (fry sized but many months old) and I just think there was something genetically wrong with it.

This fish does look sort of skinny but it might just be his eyes throwing me off. If he bottoms sits, it may be due to his weird eye, but I wouldn't think so. If I recall correctly, the fish called Googles had his swim bladder give out even before his eyes began to grow huge. All his fins also collapsed. 

I think the bottom sitting from time to time and the other issues were more likely a sign of him getting sick and this was the end result once he ran out of strength. Him not getting any food would have weakened him but that not be the lot of it. 

If you wanted to ensure the smaller, weaker fish get their fair share, I would begin by observing them during feeding time. This will tell you a lot. See who is getting how much. I failed at this initially with my first two fish and one fish got way more than the other and grew quite fast and the other never grew much. 

It also seems to help to drop a bit of food and let the larger and faster ones snag it and begin to chew and then while they are chewing, do a sort of "wave two" of food and you'll notice them ignore much of it since they are chewing their mouthfuls and then the dinkier ones can get some. This worked for me when I had a timid fish that just didn't seem to like to compete with the others.

Be careful to just split up a normal feeding to do this rather than adding the wave two as extra food. Over feeding is not good either. 

Thanks for the info! I'll have to watch more carefully when I feed them to see what is going on. ;) 

My BEST to Tricycle.

Yes, generally speaking a fish who gets stuck to a covered filter intake is already sick.  They don't usually get damage from that though, aside from some shredded fins where they get pulled into the tube.  

But if an intake is knocked loose and they get suctioned to the smaller tube then yes we can expect real injury.  That's what I was picturing with tricycle. If he got these injuries or the C shape with an intact filter intake I'd be much more concerned about underlying issues.

Abanayabar got sucked into the filter opening where the tube is attached because I forgot to reattach the intake tube. It killed her. She said this baby was found stuck to the intake TUBE so I thought he was found wrapped around it like Raiden was. Maybe I'm wrong? 

Edited by mjfromga

10 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Yes, generally speaking a fish who gets stuck to a covered filter intake is already sick.  They don't usually get damage from that though, aside from some shredded fins where they get pulled into the tube.  

But if an intake is knocked loose and they get suctioned to the smaller tube then yes we can expect real injury.  That's what I was picturing with tricycle. If he got these injuries or the C shape with an intact filter intake I'd be much more concerned about underlying issues.

Tricycle was stuck to the strainer guard part of the intake tube.

Update: Yesterday morning he was back to floating on the surface just like he did when I first added him to the QT tank, but trying to swim a little. Then right before I went to bed he was on the bottom just looking around. Today he is still bottom sitting and not really moving much at all. I didn't try to feed him yesterday because he was just floating around and I didn't think he was able to swim to the bottom to eat the sinking pellets. He really doesn't look too good today like when it first happened so I don't think he will be interested in food or not really.

9 hours ago, mjfromga said:

Abanayabar got sucked into the filter opening where the tube is attached because I forgot to reattach the intake tube. It killed her. She said this baby was found stuck to the intake TUBE so I thought he was found wrapped around it like Raiden was. Maybe I'm wrong? 

Tricycle was stuck to the filter intake strainer guard thing, wrapped around it. He doesn't look too good today :( 

Yes I thought that's what you meant originally because you said it was the INTAKE TUBE. Any fish that gets stuck to that was getting sick or there was already something really wrong with them. Sadly my little one that ended up like this didn't make it but I hope yours does. 

55 minutes ago, Fish Of Gold said:

Tricycle was stuck to the strainer guard part of the intake tube.

Update: Yesterday morning he was back to floating on the surface just like he did when I first added him to the QT tank, but trying to swim a little. Then right before I went to bed he was on the bottom just looking around. Today he is still bottom sitting and not really moving much at all. I didn't try to feed him yesterday because he was just floating around and I didn't think he was able to swim to the bottom to eat the sinking pellets. He really doesn't look too good today like when it first happened so I don't think he will be interested in food or not really.

Tricycle was stuck to the filter intake strainer guard thing, wrapped around it. He doesn't look too good today :( 

That's a different thing than an injury from the tube.  I wish I'd understood that initially because I wouldn't have been treating for suction injuries - my apologies on the mixup.  Can you get my a picture of him today, including one of his belly and underside of his gills?

Edited by Arctic Mama

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

That's a different thing than an injury from the tube.  I wish I'd understood that initially because I wouldn't have been treating for suction injuries - my apologies on the mixup.  Can you get my a picture of him today, including one of his belly and underside of his gills?

He's gone.... :cry *SIGH!* :( I'm so sad now! :cry1

Well, I guess I can refocus on my other thread that I made a while ago that I still need help with. Koko was helping me but I think she must be very busy because I haven't heard back in a little while. This is the thread:  Dreamsicle sick again with 2 others as well