Sign in to follow this  
Sieta

Very sick fish from long term miscare

8 minutes ago, shakaho said:

I have no experience with costia.  Isn't the treatment salt?

Costia is typically treated with heat over 86, prazi, and salt.

Heat and salt, probably, but certainly not prazi, which treats only flatworms --flukes and tapeworms.

Gotta love all the conflicting articles out there ≥<

So just the metro and triple sulfa and epsom again?  Since salt is out of the question atm.

Edited by Sieta

Since the current treatment has apparently relieved the dropsy, you should continue it.  However you can gradually raise the temperature and you can do 1% salt dips daily.

Gotcha thanks,  how long do I leave him in the dip?

3 hours ago, Sieta said:

Gotcha thanks,  how long do I leave him in the dip?

6. If the fish stays continues to stay upright, or tilts over but can get back up, keep him/her in the salt solution for exactly 5 minutes.  

7. If at any time the fish tips over and cannot right itself, remove the fish immediately. 

8. Remove fish from the salt, and place in holding tank. The reason why we do this is to: 1) give the fish a place to recover by him/herself, and 2) let the fish purge out ammonia/wastes in a place that is not the main tank.

9. After 1-2 hours, the fish can be moved back to the main tank or hospital tank. It might still be disoriented, but should be fine.

Yes sorry.  Start with salt and heat and Koko directed, but a higher line treatment would be paraguard or malachite green if that didn't kick it.

Things aren't looking good. Ren is just being blown around the tank.

IMG_20170430_005753252~2.jpg

If I may suggest since he's getting pushed around. I would get a tub or tote that is shallow and just add an air stone to it. This way he won't have to struggle trying to swim around the tank :) 

I'm looking for a tub now, 

The edging and sides of his fins are turning grey/black. 

There is also massive amounts of clear stringy poop showing up since last night.

IMG_20170430_123055367~2.jpg

IMG_20170430_123223248~2.jpg

Edited by Sieta

I believe that would be signs of bacterial infection inside... Lets see what the other Mods/Disease helpers say :) 

Truth?  I'd euthanize the poor fish.  I am still suspecting a parasite like costia, likely with an infection to boot.  The slime coat, redness, and fins make me think that.  But with that tight belly, the floating, AND those external symptoms I just don't see you being able to get on top of it.  The animal is suffering and weakened.

Has he been tolerating the salted quarantine and dips?  If he has we may be able to continue those, add in paraguard, and run a course of kanamycin with it to see if we cannot hit all the problems at once and give him a fighting chance.

Edited by Arctic Mama

27 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Truth?  I'd euthanize the poor fish.  I am still suspecting a parasite like costia, likely with an infection to boot.  The slime coat, redness, and fins make me think that.  But with that tight belly, the floating, AND those external symptoms I just don't see you being able to get on top of it.  The animal is suffering and weakened.

Has he been tolerating the salted quarantine and dips?  If he has we may be able to continue those, add in paraguard, and run a course of kanamycin with it to see if we cannot hit all the problems at once and give him a fighting chance.

Yeah he did well with the the salt, it's the other that pineconed. 

I understand the euthanasia I just so wanted to save these guys and give them the chance at a better life. 

I do have kanaplex on hand, I can order/get some paraguard

I understand!  It's not their fault they're so sick, it's kind of you to want to give them their best shot.  Just be realistic about the potential outcomes.

I'm so glad they did well with the salt.  Keep that up on their water at .3% strength (about a tablespoon per gallon. Put the salt in a mesh bag or nylon so it melts into the water slowly), keep the tank warm, and begin the kanaplex.  You will need to do 100% water changes every other day and keep an eye on the ammonia on the off days, but don't dose the prime too close to putting the medication in as it can actually react with the antibiotics and make them less effective.  I've been meaning to write an article on that, actually.

A two week course of kanaplex (7 treatment days total, with a day in between each new dose) ahould suffice.  I'd also do daily salt dips for another three days so we can see if there is any external improvement with the treatment.  Please update with pictures and details on how they did during the dips at day 3, and we should have a good idea about it the kanaplex is helping during that time too.

Go ahead and order the paraguard, it's good to have on hand as a mild but effective parasite treatment even if we don't end up needing it here.  I order big jugs of it on Amazon :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

Hope they feel better.

Im praying for these guys :) So sad :( 

So just for clarification,

I am now ditching the metro, triple Plex and Epson salt altogether. 

I am starting treating the water with kanaplex (every other day for 7 days) and paraguard(soon as it gets here) and doing salt dips outside of the tank (daily)

Correct?

Thanks so much everyone for the help with these guys, they have just touched me so much. They lived for a year in those conditions while 2 of his other goldfish and 80% of the tank died around them. They are survivors and I'm just not ready to give up on em yet.

I lost the little one Stimpy just now this morning. :(

3 hours ago, Sieta said:

I lost the little one Stimpy just now this morning. :(

Oh no :( 

Yeah, I was pretty upset. 

Ren is doing much better now though at least, he is actually swimming right side up and not being blown around anymore.

1 hour ago, Sieta said:

Yeah, I was pretty upset. 

Ren is doing much better now though at least, he is actually swimming right side up and not being blown around anymore.

I hope he makes it. I thought Stimpy was stronger :( sad