Sign in to follow this  
Lizzy

Fuzzy white spot with red on new Oranda's we

Poor guy. It looked bad. Sorry he passed away. I wonder what it was that took him down. Sharon, is Costia truly likely to have advanced like this whilst he was at .3% salt the entire time? So awful looking. Looked like flesh eating bacteria or something. 

Thanks for the condolences everyone. I'm glad he was in QT and never the main tank. Poor fella. He was such a sweet fish, came to the surface to say hello whenever he heard my voice. Whatever it was, it was nasty. I'm sad he didn't make it, though I'm relieved it's all over. So distressing to witness.

I'll be bleaching everything ASAP. 

I'm sorry, I just got back from church.  On the back end we observed your fish looked emaciated and that, alone, can weaken them further and make it impossible for them to get on top of an illness.  I myself had an oranda who succumbed just that way - I didn't notice his big head compared to his tiny body until it was pointed out, but he definitely wasn't fat and happy like he should have been and hadn't been thriving for a long time.  

Sometimes these things just happen.  You did your very best with how he was presenting and I'm sorry you lost him.  Keeping the meds on hand for future use is going to be helpful though - that's never a waste.

51 minutes ago, shakaho said:

So sorry.  I've never seen that condition before.   I wonder if it was costia, which can kill very quickly.  I'm so glad that you kept  him in quarantine.   Bleach that QT very thoroughly along with anything used in the tank.

Did you mean columnaris or costia? If it's the latter I don't think so, because it was a spot as opposed to a body wide infection and I didn't see the exces slime coat or clamping associated with it.  It's possible, but I think it was a bacterial infection that persisted in the area under the wen where the peroxide couldn't reach, and he was weak enough that it got a foothold and then really went nuts.  Without the infection I don't think he would have made it very long anyway, given his wasted state.

Edited by Arctic Mama

It looked like bacteria to me too but I'm not a professional. But I will say this, I've gotten tons of fish from these places. All of them are too thin. ALL of them. I don't know the time frame Taryl meant but some of them I've gotten seem like strong healthy fish now and are approaching a year old. Also they're not thin anymore! Don't get discouraged. I would have quickly bought this fish too if I saw it. He was beautiful. It's just too bad he couldn't pull through. :(

18 hours ago, Lizzy said:

Well, Mochi didn't make it. Got home from the store to find him floating on his side. Thanks everyone for you help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:k055:

Well, everything has been bleached; tank, equipment, and all surfaces his tank was on, in, and around. I threw out the sponge filter and the part of the hose line that was in the water/closest to the tank, they're cheap and easy enough to replace. I also chucked out some pellet food that I thought I might have "double dipped" into. Paranoid much? Maybe, but after that, I'd rather not take any chances. 

17 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

I'm sorry, I just got back from church.  On the back end we observed your fish looked emaciated and that, alone, can weaken them further and make it impossible for them to get on top of an illness.  I myself had an oranda who succumbed just that way - I didn't notice his big head compared to his tiny body until it was pointed out, but he definitely wasn't fat and happy like he should have been and hadn't been thriving for a long time.  

Sometimes these things just happen.  You did your very best with how he was presenting and I'm sorry you lost him.  Keeping the meds on hand for future use is going to be helpful though - that's never a waste.

Thank you. He was a Petsmart find so I'm not surprised to hear that. I was hopeful, he was just a cutie. And I was planning on bolstering my on-hand meds anyway so just call me prepared! 

16 hours ago, mjfromga said:

It looked like bacteria to me too but I'm not a professional. But I will say this, I've gotten tons of fish from these places. All of them are too thin. ALL of them. I don't know the time frame Taryl meant but some of them I've gotten seem like strong healthy fish now and are approaching a year old. Also they're not thin anymore! Don't get discouraged. I would have quickly bought this fish too if I saw it. He was beautiful. It's just too bad he couldn't pull through. :(

Awe thank you. He was a beautiful fish indeed. I've been battling that feeling of I shouldn't have, but I never could have expected this. Needless to say, the last few days have been rough. I don't want to go so far as to say I'm traumatized from the whole experience. It was just a rough day of Goldfish keeping for me. And certainly one that makes you think real hard about this hobby. 

30 minutes ago, koko said:

:k055:

Thanks Koko ?

Sounds good!

So sorry for your loss. RIP Mochi.