Sign in to follow this  
Lizzy

Fuzzy white spot with red on new Oranda's we

Hi friends ! It's been a little while since my last post, life exploded and got crazy. Updates, my tank cycled! Hooray! I got two new swimmers in March! Hooray! And I just "added" a new guy to the family! Hooray!

My new fish, Mochi, has been in quarantine for 2 weeks so far. I walked into Petsmart to grab 1 thing, and I walked out with my dream fish, a chubby calico oranda! Everything has been uneventful, until today.

While doing his bi-daily water change, I noticed a white patch on his head. It just looked like wen growth so I thought nothing of it. But later today, I noticed that the white spot was fuzzy and had some redness around it. 976a6b49921c26212d00ed828117d5a6.jpg

f5303e44adb2ad15078092902c6e9b3b.jpg

I've begun slowly salting his tank, which is currently at a .1% solution.

* Test Results for the Following:

* * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0ppm

* * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0ppm

* * Nitrate level(Tank)0ppm

* * Ammonia Level(Tap) .25ppm

* * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0ppm

* * Nitrate level(Tap) .5ppm

* * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6

* * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6

* Other Required Info:

* * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Freshwater Masters Kit, Drops

* * Water temperature? 70 degrees

* * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallon, temporary quarantine tank, running for 2 weeks

* * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 1 large sponge filter

* * How often do you change the water and how much? Every other day 50-90%

* * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today, 90%

* * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 oranda, 4 inches

* * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime water conditioner

* * What do you feed your fish and how often? Fed twice daily-Mixed diet of New Life Spectrum Thera A Anti-Parasitic Formula 1mm, Repashy Soilent Green, peas, and 1-2 time(s) a week frozen blood worms.

* * Any new fish added to the tank? No

* * Any medications added to the tank? .1% API aquarium salt

* * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. 1 round of NLS HEX Shield medicated food.

* * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? There is a small spot on the top of the wen that looks cottony with touches of red veiny streaks surrounding. Poo appears long and clear.

* * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No, swims + eats normally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

435b45e57acd25955b79bb503619d8c1.jpg

I had a calico ranchu who had the same thing. All I did was keep up with the weekly water changes and it disappeared by itself. My fish didn't have any other odd signs also. Eating, swimming, and look healthy.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

That actually looks pretty nasty. Added in that he came from PetSmart, I would want to treat that. I think I would go with General Cure for that in QT for starters. Please don't take my advice though, a Disease Helper will be along soon. 

Just to clarify, have you had the fish in quarantine for 2 weeks and have not yet treated with praziquantel?  How long have you treated with 0.1% salt?  Why did you treat with the medicated food?  Because of the spot or something else?

Just for general information, the Hex Shield medicated food has as its active ingredient IH-Imidazole-I-ethanol, 2-methyl-5-nitro-(443-48-1) also known as metronidazole, a valuable antibiotic.  Treating with any antibiotic for 3 days (as in the instructions for the medicated food) selects for antibiotic resistant bacteria, decreasing the effectiveness of that antibiotic in the future.  

First, I would like you to get praziquantel which will treat the fish for flukes.  If you have a local fish store, they should have it, otherwise order it online.  

Meanwhile, increase the salt concentration to 0.3%.  I assume you added 1 teaspoon of salt  per gallon of tank water.  Please add that amount of salt to the tank to raise the salt concentration to 0.2%.  At your next water change, add 1 tablespoon of salt for each gallon of water for a concentration of 0.3% and maintain that concentration.

Try treating the spot with an antiseptic.  If you don't have hydrogen peroxide, get some at the drug store and also some q-tips or other swab sticks..  Then take the fish out of the water and clean the spot with the swab dipped in hydrogen peroxide, taking care not to get any in the eyes.  Now this should be a two-person job, one to hold the fish and one to swab the lesion, but a dexterous person can place the fish on a wet cloth, hold it in place with one hand and swab with the other.  Get the spot as clean as possible and return the fish to the water.

When you get the prazi, we will treat the fish with this for two weeks.

Thanks for the reply, Sharon! The fish is new to me, he's been in standard quarantine for 2 weeks so far, never in the main tank. He has not been treated with praziquantel. The .1% salt was dosed last night at 6pm. It was raised to .2% this morning, about an hour ago, at 8am I have been following Koko's outline for salting. I used the Hex shield because he was showing signs of white stringy poo within his first few days in quarantine, which cleared up after treatment. 

I'll head out to the fish store as soon as it opens and pick up the praziquantel. I do have hydrogen peroxide on hand and will swab the spot ASAP. 

Alrighty, swab complete. It was very uneventful but successful. I did an 80% water change and salted to .3% as advised.  I have the prazi and can start medicating for the 2 week period. 

It's been a rough night for lil Mochi. His initial problem cleared in about 3 days. But last night I came home to a horrible sight. Mochi's right cheek was red and swollen. I had done a water change that day and he was perfectly fine. I checked in him in the middle of the night and it looked worse. Is it a ulcer? He doesn't look great at all. He is still being treated with prazi for two more days.

92e3ef0819ce4fd230ba39d9d6d25b0d.jpg

ff48ac9a4a07f6b6a888de96660739ce.jpgcd6834eb7d12129c0e16515e2b667cf2.jpg

8baf777a88d15f1bd71108e13785fe35.jpg

Sorry for the crappy photos. He's hanging out in the back corner of the tank closer to the surface. He isn't gasping for air, just hovering near the surface but will occasionally swim around the tank like normal.

•  

I tested the tank this morning. I have a slight reading of ammonia, so I did a large water change, 90%. I think the salt from his last round of treatment messed with the cycle of the sponge filter a bit. :(

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) .25ppm

* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrate level(Tank) 0

* Ammonia Level(Tap) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0

* Nitrate level(Tap) 0

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6

* Other Required Info:

* * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Freshwater Masters Kit, Drops

* * Water temperature? 70 degrees

* * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallon, temporary quarantine tank, running for 4 weeks

* * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 1 large sponge filter pulled from main tank. 

* * How often do you change the water and how much? Every other day 20-90%

* * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today, 90%

* * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 oranda, 4 inches

* * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime water conditioner

* * What do you feed your fish and how often? Fed twice daily-Mixed diet of New Life Spectrum Thera A Anti-Parasitic Formula 1mm, Repashy Soilent Green, peas, and 1-2 time(s) a week frozen blood worms.

* * Any new fish added to the tank? No

* * Any medications added to the tank? .3% API aquarium salt + Prazi pro

* * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. .3% of salt for 1 week, hydrogen peroxide swab for previous infection, with 2 weeks of prazi to be completed by Sunday. 

* * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? A very angry and swollen cheek on his right side. Slight swelling beneath the gill too. Wen appears to be peeling. 

* * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Hanging out at the top of the tank, not gasping for air, just hovering. Will occasionally swim around the tank only to return to the corner to hover. 

Edited by Lizzy

He's so adorable. Hope he feels better.

He's so adorable. Hope he feels better.

Thanks Dawn! Hopefully I can get some advice on medication!

Can you redo the pics and hold him like you did in your first round of pictures? :idont

Can you redo the pics and hold him like you did in your first round of pictures? :idont

6e664327392b7dbd681fe80c061c7c90.jpg

Here are a few more to show the swelling better. fa601b0d30d93dfdfd2f4c05689a4020.jpg451f7d0e7d1e2d1281db9382443e0ecd.jpg

MORNING UPDATE: He looks worse in some ways, and better? in others. He's much more active, swimming. The swelling is pretty much gone. But that's about it for the good news....

Bad news: The entire right side of his face is RED. It doesn't look bloody, but more inflamed and irritated. I did a 90% water change last night and this morning and redosed to .3% salt. There are no other medications in the tank. Still not eating. Rapid breathing with cottony wisps blowing in and out of his mouth.  I suspect Columnaris, though I am no expert and don't want to throw medications at him that will only stress him further. 

I'm at a complete loss as to what to do. The fish store doesn't open till noon, but I have Colloidal Silver on hand, 200ppm. His condition is distressing, I'll be posting more photos in a moment. I'm heading out to church here in a moment, opportunity to pray to the Good Lord for a miracle. Any advice and help is very welcome. 

Obtain kanamycin and metronidazole please :). We will use those together for a two week course.

Obtain kanamycin and metronidazole please . We will use those together for a two week course.

Thanks so much ! I'll grab those as soon as the fish store opens.

Here are a few photos from this morning poor baby
e565e5a1226150bb5526bda94d8cb0fe.jpg16191528152792730fac5702e485a568.jpg
2a1e0f6a5aeb85c35b75415d98f99a1a.jpg

i can see your fish is sick, but have no idea why.  I have reported it, and you have reported it, but nobody knows what it is.  Can you find a veterinarian who could take a scraping and have it analyzed?

Poor guy. His wen looks like it's just disintegrating around that spot. Hopefully it's something like hexamita HITHD and Taryl's recommendation of metronidazole will help him. Wishing him luck. 

If his fins were affected I'd think columnaris, but it doesn't appear so.  If you're continuing salt in your quarantine that will help inhibit if it that is the case.  If it is hexamita you need the metro and if it is some other non-specific topical infection the kanamycin is a better choice, which is why we are doing both at once.

Once you get the meds we need to go over the quarantine in more detail, and please be extremely careful about even touching the main tank or equipment without thoroughly washing your hands first.  We don't want to spread this if it is something communicable.

If his fins were affected I'd think columnaris, but it doesn't appear so.  If you're continuing salt in your quarantine that will help inhibit if it that is the case.  If it is hexamita you need the metro and if it is some other non-specific topical infection the kanamycin is a better choice, which is why we are doing both at once.

Once you get the meds we need to go over the quarantine in more detail, and please be extremely careful about even touching the main tank or equipment without thoroughly washing your hands first.  We don't want to spread this if it is something communicable.

Great, sounds good. I will continue salt. I got the meds from my LFS and am ready for more detailed instructions regarding his quarantine!

So far I've been keeping my QT equipment separate and washing my hands up to my elbows after any encounter with the QT tank.

Poor guy. His wen looks like it's just disintegrating around that spot. Hopefully it's something like hexamita HITHD and Taryl's recommendation of metronidazole will help him. Wishing him luck. 

Thanks! We'll see how he fares!

i can see your fish is sick, but have no idea why.  I have reported it, and you have reported it, but nobody knows what it is.  Can you find a veterinarian who could take a scraping and have it analyzed?

Thanks so much. I'll see about a veterinarian, though my area is a little limited.

Well, Mochi didn't make it. Got home from the store to find him floating on his side. Thanks everyone for you help.

So sorry.  I've never seen that condition before.   I wonder if it was costia, which can kill very quickly.  I'm so glad that you kept  him in quarantine.   Bleach that QT very thoroughly along with anything used in the tank.