Sign in to follow this  
MELODY MUNRO

Comets with Stiff tails

Hey everyone.

I am new to the forum and joined because I am having an issue with 2 of my 7 comets. I have had my comets for almost 3 years and they are all over 10+ inches - not including the tail.  4 have short tails and 3 have fantails.  2 of the 3 fantails have sections of their tails that are stiff and on one the bottom of her tail is permanently rolled up in a tube shape. They all eat well and are given Hikari koi pellets, duck weed, shelled peas and worms from my compost from time to time.  (the compost is maintained for my fish - I also keep Oscars and Severums).  They are presently in a 180 gallon until I complete their pond (2000 litres - hopefully in the next 2 months or so).  The tank is filtered by an undergravel filter...water changes are done every 2 days at 50% and the nitrates are always below 40. I have all of them since they were babies....2 of them I rescued from the feeder fish tank at my LFS...They have been well looked after and are otherwise very healthy.  I have never had to treat any of them for any diseases.  As they get older though I am noticing this thing happening with just these two fish.  Could it be a hereditary defect?  I would think if it was diet or the conditions I would be seeing it in more or all of the fish.???

Thanks

Melody

When you can photos would help out a lot. I know that some fish have fussed tail fins. But its hard to understand what your saying with out a photo hun :) 

Oh and :welcome 

We need pictures.  You have to upload them to a host site, such as Photobucket, and then copy them from the site to paste them into your post.

One often finds baby goldfish with bent tails.  I haven't seen this condition correct itself.  

"I have had my comets for almost 3 years and they are all over 10+ inches - not including the tail."  Did you possibly mean 10 cm?  

Just a clarification on terminology.  "Comets" refers to the long-tailed fish.  We call those with short tails "commons" or (using the japanese term) "hibuna."

Your fish will love that pond.

Edited by shakaho

These are my goldfish.  If you look at the tails of the ones with big tails see how they look stiff. And I did mean 10 inches.  They are almost as long as my forearm.

I see you said that some of them were sold as feeder fish. It's just as Sharon said, the little tail kinks are likely just birth defects. They will appear more prominent as the fish get older and larger, of course. 

The fish look healthy and the tank looks great. I wouldn't worry if I were you. I got a "feeder" comet and her tail is kinda wonky too. I'm sure as she grows, it'll appear even more wonky. I just call them quirks of a particular fish and think it's cute. 

I agree....

I think they look great... The longer the fins the harder it is for them to move them.... :) WOW very pretty fish  :) 

The tails look normal to me.  Tails get beat up if the tank contains anything hard, like the wood.  Even the filter uptake or plant pots can damage tails.  The fish will appreciate the space in the pond.

I see two London shubunkins -- the calico fish with short tails, one long-tailed shubunkin, three comets, and one hibuna.

I have never seen a whole tank of goldfish grow to this size in three years.  They still have a couple of years of growth before it slows down.  Those 50% water changes every second day really worked!

Welcome to Kokos!!!! Great looking Goldfish!!!

Thanks for your input everyone.  My goldfish are just one of nine tanks that I keep.   I also have a180 gallon with an oscar, severums and silver dollars, mixed tropical with assorted tetras and angelfish as well as a 110 gallon african cichlid all mbuna tank...as well as guppies and endlers.  I am really looking forward to finishing my pond for my goldfish...my plan is to grow them as large as I can and for them to live as long as they can and have good healthy lives...I have a worm farm that I have just for my fish.  Into this I add a lot of greens and tomatoes and fruit so that fish like my oscar get a good amount of Vitamin C (which oscars need) and greens...and I also get the benefit of worm casting for my vegetable garden....My gold fish have grown fast but they have never been in anything smaller than a 110 gallon even when they were babies...and I have a strict maintenance routine with regular water changes...

I have an Oscar in a 125. His name is Big Boy.

We would love to see photos of your other pets :thumbs: 

They look fantastic.  Very normal on the tails, I agree :)