Sign in to follow this  
xStatic

Small pimple-like bump on side

I'm feeling pretty frustrated right now... just fed the fish and noticed Opal has a very small bump on her side that's red with a raised white center. It's not very large and I only noticed it because she's a mostly white fish. Going to start a water change now, I will update with the D&D questionnaire filled out soon.

She's otherwise eating and acting normally. No signs on the other fish... I'll try to get a photo but it might be tough because the spot is so small. 

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) ~40ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) ~<10ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0-8.5
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0-8.5
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master
      • * Water temperature? 74F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 60 gallons, running 1+ year
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Marineland Emperor + Aquaclear 70 both w/ sponge intake covers
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? weekly, 80-90%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 6 days ago, 80-90%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 fish - 2 small and 2 medium
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Repashy Soilent Green, served in small amounts 2-3 times day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
    Initital QT treatments with PriziPro and then salt.
    One treatment for ich with salt and raised tempts ~10? months ago.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
    One small fish has a small red spot on her side with a raised white center, it resembles a small pimple. 
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? None

Sorry for the multiple posts...

d705fc5a7328f9fa5185510615d95cc1.jpg45c14de1d12a30b495ac5af44df8463b.jpg

Looking at the spot again maybe there isn't a raised white part? Maybe it's just a missing scale that she knocked off herself somehow?

It does look like there might be something pushing up... If it was me I would either QT the fish with .1% salt and clean water for a week see what happens. Or you can salt the whole tank and keep the water clean. Over all we want to make sure the water is clean and the salt will help :)  Till we can see if something  is under there :) 

1 hour ago, koko said:

It does look like there might be something pushing up... If it was me I would either QT the fish with .1% salt and clean water for a week see what happens. Or you can salt the whole tank and keep the water clean. Over all we want to make sure the water is clean and the salt will help :)  Till we can see if something  is under there :) 

Thanks for your advice :) I did a big water change and I think I'll add salt to the whole tank. I'll do daily partial water changes to keep water quality pristine.

A few more questions for you:

How many rounds of prazi did you do during quarantine?  Was this one year ago?  Did you get all of the fish at one time?

What are the dimensions of your 60 gallon tank?

Would you please give the standard length (tail not included) and variety of your fish.  You can estimate the length/

Do you have substrate?  If so what kind and how deep?

9 hours ago, shakaho said:

A few more questions for you:

How many rounds of prazi did you do during quarantine?  Was this one year ago?  Did you get all of the fish at one time?

3 rounds: 3 days meds in the water, one day no meds, three days meds in water, etc. After Prazi was finished I did extra 1-2 weeks salt treatment

I got the fish at different times but QT'd each one separately in a smaller tank before allowing them into the main tank. 

What are the dimensions of your 60 gallon tank?

It's standard - roughly 48" L x 13" W x 24" H

Would you please give the standard length (tail not included) and variety of your fish.  You can estimate the length

Suna (fantail) - 3.4-4"

Mango (oranda) - 3"

Opal (fantail) - 2"

Fairy (shubunkin) - ~3" long, but he's not very big overall (He's in this tank temporarily while he's small, not for life. He's been in here since August and went through the same QT treatment on his own at the fancies)

Do you have substrate?  If so what kind and how deep?

I have a thin layer of sand - maybe 1" deep. I vacuum and stir it up regularly. 

Just an update... the red spot has gone away on its own. I think it was a missing scale after all and the thing that looked like a white dot in the center was actually the small opening along her lateral line. I'm still going to keep water changing and I think I'll keep salt in at 0.1% for a couple more days but I guess it was just a little scare :)

How are things? 

How are things? 

Everything's great! Thanks for asking :) no sign of the red spot coming back on Opal of any of the other fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, xStatic said:

Everything's great! Thanks for asking :) no sign of the red spot coming back on Opal of any of the other fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:thumbup2: