Jump to content

ReVamping my AC110 Filters!!


Recommended Posts

  • Regular Member

My hubby pointed out that my filters seem louder lately (I hear them all the time so really hadn't noticed!) He researched replacing them......very expensive! So replacing old worn parts....this looked like the way to go. We researched a bunch & this way I would end up with THREE rebuilt filters for less than the price of one new one!!  I told him I only run the 2 filters as I'm not using my 29 gal tank right now. He said we'd rebuilt all three & I would have a spare!  I WAS ALL IN!!! We looked up all the proper names of each part & he started researching.....He is really good at finding deals on just about anything! (We ended up going thru Big Al's.

Here's what we got:

1 motor, 3 impeller shafts, 2 impeller assemblies, 1 intake tube, 2 foam inserts, 2 check valves....also added a 4 pk airstones, waste remover...(basically a long turkey baster), 3 media bags, 2 check valves.

We are going to do the revamping this weekend & then store the extra filter under my tank!!

 

HOW COOL IS THAT???!!!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Well.........I was just watching TV about an hour ago when I decided to go ahead and have a go at those filters!  I took all three completely apart (saved most of ceramic rings in a bucket) & went to work. I scrubbed the "tank" part of all 3....I doubt that has ever been completely done! I put the new sponges in a container with the old sponges & squished them together (tried to get all the "goodies" I could into the new sponges).  Everything pretty much looks like new....ignoring a few scratches they have endured over the years. I sit the 2 up on the tank & cranked them up........They sound good....much quieter,,,no "rattling" sounds at all, just the sound of 2 filters doing their jobs!!  WOOHOO!!!

A N D now I have a complete extra 110 ready to go!

I called my hubby & told him what I had done AND that I am SOOO glad he thought of this idea....I doubt I EVER would have come up with a complete overhaul on all three! I also told him that I am tickled pink!!! He is something else!! 

I am blessed & that has nothing to do with his fish filter idea! He is THE BEST hubby ever!!

Edited by Jeana727
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

OH LOOK OUT FOR THE HORROR THAT CAME!!!!

Later I was sitting near the tank & I heard THE SOUND....you know The One No Fish Keeper EVER Want To Hear..............DRIPPING!!!!

I looked under there & immediately shut the filters down!!!!  All in all what had happened was where the motor attached to the filter tank had a dry O Ring!!!!  (ALWAYS rub on a little vaseline on any rubber filter parts!!!!) It made for a really exciting day.....probably a little less than a gallon of water but more than enough to wet ALOT of stuff under the tank...SOME that NEVER should get wet!

Oddly my husband just showed up during the disaster (he NEVER gets off work early!!!!) and we worked thru it!!!! 

 

Take my advice! CHECK YOUR EQUIPMENT......the simplest, small thing is VERY important!!!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin

the dreaded Drip Drip noise .... Oh I hate that. :thud 

 

Im glad over all it went well. I just had to buy a new peller for my AC as it broke inside the motor and was making the worst noise :o 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

If you have Aquaclear filters (Mine are 110s) check your impellers now & then. When we picked up the new ones I was surprised just how worn the impeller shafts were!!!  And check the O Rings for wear!!!! If you replace this stuff REPLACE the ORings no matter what!!!  Also when installing the new ORings put a little vaseline on there!

You DO NOT want to hear that DREADED D R I P P I N G sound!!!

Edited by Jeana727
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Actually check WHATEVER kind of filter you have......I have Aquaclears so I assume everyone does.........LOL! (Not Really)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
3 hours ago, Jeana727 said:

Actually check WHATEVER kind of filter you have......I have Aquaclears so I assume everyone does.........LOL! (Not Really)

I agree, I like to check out my filter insides (motor) at least once a month :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
On Sunday, April 09, 2017 at 8:10 AM, Jeana727 said:

If you have Aquaclear filters (Mine are 110s) check your impellers now & then. When we picked up the new ones I was surprised just how worn the impeller shafts were!!!  And check the O Rings for wear!!!! If you replace this stuff REPLACE the ORings no matter what!!!  Also when installing the new ORings put a little vaseline on there!

You DO NOT want to hear that DREADED D R I P P I N G sound!!!

I have Penguin 350 filter's. I change the impeller's from time to time and soak them in white vinegar. It helps with them not to get worn out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
2 hours ago, Jeana727 said:

I often wonder if there is ANY situation where Apple Cider Vinegar is NOT part of the answer!!  :thumbup2:

I don't think so :rofl 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Hey Jeana. What I meant to tell you was to buy some extra impeller's. Every couple of month's take them out and soak them in the Vinegar and put the other one's in and just keep rotating them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

ALSO.......my hubby (the computer Xpert) researched & you can actually MAKE replacement impeller shafts. He got a stainless steel rod from Home Depot & has "made several impeller shafts!!! They end up being totally CHEAP!!

(I don't NEED them yet .....remember the Shopping SPREE I went on earlier!) but we have them for whenever they will be needed!!!

 

How Cool IS THAT??

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
1 hour ago, Jeana727 said:

ALSO.......my hubby (the computer Xpert) researched & you can actually MAKE replacement impeller shafts. He got a stainless steel rod from Home Depot & has "made several impeller shafts!!! They end up being totally CHEAP!!

(I don't NEED them yet .....remember the Shopping SPREE I went on earlier!) but we have them for whenever they will be needed!!!

 

How Cool IS THAT??

 

That's GREAT!!!! Replacement part's are so expensive!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

ALSO yesterday he got a pkg (nothing unusual there he's always up to something) I just placed it on his desk. When he got home he brought it in to show me. It is a moisture detector! He placed it on the left side behind the tank. If the filter should leak at all it alerts you. He tested it...(no way you could miss that sound!) He's going to get another for the other end of the tank! He just wanted to make sure it was really sensitive.....we placed a barely damp paper towel down & put it on there! Wow it went right off!!! So I know if the filter (God forbid) should leak we will know before it can soak everything (like my original disaster!!!)

He also has cameras on my tank! We have a couple of three day weekends coming up where we will be away. I can check on things thru my Iphone. Should anything look LEAKY I can just shut my tank down. The fish would be ok for a short while & it would save my house from a FLOOD! :yikes

I am getting PRETTY High Tech over here!!!

 

Edited by Jeana727
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
7 hours ago, Jeana727 said:

ALSO yesterday he got a pkg (nothing unusual there he's always up to something) I just placed it on his desk. When he got home he brought it in to show me. It is a moisture detector! He placed it on the left side behind the tank. If the filter should leak at all it alerts you. He tested it...(no way you could miss that sound!) He's going to get another for the other end of the tank! He just wanted to make sure it was really sensitive.....we placed a barely damp paper towel down & put it on there! Wow it went right off!!! So I know if the filter (God forbid) should leak we will know before it can soak everything (like my original disaster!!!)

He also has cameras on my tank! We have a couple of three day weekends coming up where we will be away. I can check on things thru my Iphone. Should anything look LEAKY I can just shut my tank down. The fish would be ok for a short while & it would save my house from a FLOOD! :yikes

I am getting PRETTY High Tech over here!!!

 

That sounds soooo cool!!!!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...