What kind of fish is this?

mjfromga

First photo was February 23, second photo April 3. Originally thought comet and named her Asteroid. Now looks more like a common. Her tail fork has filled in and she's growing in height more. Most people are saying she's a common or mostly common. She was sold to me as a 29 cent feeder comet. I just would like extra opinions. Thanks for any contribution. 

DSCN4316_zpsdgblw1ay.jpg

IMG_20170404_084059.jpg

Welcome back, Myra!

Asteroid has an odd comet tail with pointed forks (typical) but the top fork smaller than the lower one (unusual).  I like the way it looks.

Compare that with the tails of these hibuna.  With pet store commons and comets like I have you don't really have much difference in the body form of commons and comets.  They all come from the same ponds.  But the fish in the video have distinctive true common bodies.  

Thank you very much, Sharon. Her tail isn't really forked much now and DOES look a lot like the fish in the video. So you're saying she's a common with kind of a wonky tail? Or she's a comet with a wonky body? I don't know anything about single tails and she's my only one. She's also looking like she will be all orange. 

I'm currently going with Asteroid the common/comet thingy because I don't know which to call her. This is her in QT in late January 2 days after I got her. I got her because I thought the ridge above her head was cute. Reminded me of a Ryukin. Someone told me this means she may be stunted? Is this true? She was the largest fish in the feeder tank. 

DSCN4057_zpsfdigttix_kindlephoto-111371649.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

She looks like a comet to me.  

The largest fish in the feeder tank shouldn't be stunted.  The "symptoms" of stunting sound like pure fiction to me.  I once picked out the tiniest fish in the feeder tank which also had the longest tail.   I had not yet read that long fins on a small goldfish indicated stunting.  Butterfly didn't know about it either.  Shes grown into a fish of average body length with a tail longer than her body.

Thank you. She is bigger now but I cannot catch her to get anymore photos. Fighting a green water issue and she's WAY too fast to catch. I guess it'll be easiest to tell when she fills out more. For now, Asteroid the Comet it is! 

I saw her yesterday. She looks much bigger. She actually sort of leapt from the water to snag some food on top. It was awesome to see. The fatties cannot jump up. I cannot catch her in the green water. 

• Admin
55 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

I saw her yesterday. She looks much bigger. She actually sort of leapt from the water to snag some food on top. It was awesome to see. The fatties cannot jump up. I cannot catch her in the green water. 

Its cool when they jump for food :) I love seeing Koi's at shows doing that :teehee