mouth injury

susan

I'm hoping somebody can help me out. This is fish, he's 10 yo and in a 55 gal alone. I came home this morning from work and seen this when I was feeding him breakfast. it wasn't like that last night when I left. I'm in the process of salting the tank right now. 

20170327_180818.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

hello Susan, welcome to kokos. i referred you from the kokos fb page. thank you for bringing your concern to our team here at kokos. i will now be moving your thread over to the Disease Diagnosis/ Treatments forum since you have already commenced salting, we need to ensure that any medicine advised does not conflict with the treatment you have already started :)

until moderator/helper arrives, please take the time to answer the following questions. your answers will help us to determine if this is infact just an injury or something a little more sinister.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Welcome to kokos! What an awesome fish.
I hope you can get this sorted easily.

Thanks for the referral. I'm using dip strips till my drop test comes in.(I know, they're not the best.)I'm out of ammonia test strips right now. Nitrates about 15. Nitrites are 0 and ph is 8. Ph went up when I added salt. There's no red streaks on his fins or anything fuzzy. He's about 10 years old and about 10 inches long and is in a 55 gal alone. His behavior hasn't changed any, but he is a jumper if he thinks he's going to get a snack. He about made it out of his tank one time chasing a bug and I about had a hearth attack. The last water change was Saturday. So far the only thing I've done is add sea salt. I hope I got everything. lol

Is his mouth normally that distended? He may have over-stretched it, trying to get his mouth over something, or gulping too excitedly.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

It is a little bit. I didn't know if it was just some swelling going on or what. I can't think of what he would have gotten a hold of. The only things in his tank right now are a bubble strip, a sponge filter and gravel.

Have you filled out the form yet?
That'll help us get a better understanding of your setup, so we can help you out. ^__^
Sometimes goldfish will just get too excited grabbing at food or something, and they essentially sprain their mouths.

Ammonia: ?

Nitrates:          tank 10/tap 0

Nitrites:           tank 0.5/tap 0

PH:                 tank 8/ tap 7.8

GH: tank 150/ tap 150

KH: tank 120/ tap 120

Test kit: Tetra dip strips

Water temp: ? have to get a new thermometer 

Tank size: 55 gal. running about 2 months, but brought over filters and gravel from old tank which had been running for 3 years.

Filters: Eheim Liberty 200 and biggest sponge filter I could get my mitts on.

Water changes: 1x a week. 50% last change was Saturday.

Tank dwellers:   1 commet about 10 inches long.

Water conditioner: Prime

Food: Wardley pond pellets, salad greens, the occasional piece of fruit. 2 small feedings a day 3 if he gets a treat.

No new roommates.

Medications added: sea salt, just added the last of it today. 

No fungus abrasions, salt sprinkles, red streaks on fins or body, or frayed fins. Just his mouth looks bruised. The only change in behavior is he's not digging through the gravel like he normally does, but his appetite is still really good. Still swimming around, fins erect and still begging for food.

Redness of the mouth can indicate mouth rot...Stressing on 'CAN'...Is the fish rubbing his mouth or nose on objects?...Is the mouth collapsing inwards?...Check for all these signs

Sent from my XT1706 using Tapatalk

• Admin
1 hour ago, susan said:

the sea salt is mortons. there's no anticaking crud in it. I can't seem to get a video to upload.

Upload it to youtube hun :) then get the share link and post it here :) iu.jpg

If it was me I wouldn't be using Sea Salt with goldfish. There is a lot of minerals in it.... Im wondering if that is bothering him... IF you can find this stuff, this is what I use :) 

I would like you to do a 50% water change and get the salt out hun. Then another one tomorrow :) 

If you can also order from Amazon. Collodial Silver of 200ppm min :) We are going to add this to the tank. Its a natural antibacterial treatment :) 

There aren't any signs of collapsing in his mouth. the one side is still swollen though. He hasn't been rubbing his mouth on a thing either. This is him at breakfast this morning.

p.s. I'll do a water change bit I won't be able to order the colloidal silver till friday. 

Edited by susan

Thank you anorea. :) He's come a long way from that 99 cent fish. If we're looking at the same spot he doesn't have any protrusions, it's a shiny patch he has under both of his eyes. I don't see a cut on the outside but that doesn't mean he didn't cut the inside of his mouth. The one side is starting to look better, but the other is still cringe worthy. 

20170329_073845.jpg

• Helper
4 hours ago, aditya2105 said:

Looks like it's just an injury...Add some melafix to your tank for the injury...He should be getting better

Please don't advise treatment - melafix is not a neutral medication, nor is it wise to use prophylactically for a mechanical injury.  Colloidal silver is a wiser choice to promote healing and has less respiratory side effects and potential pathogen acclimation when dosed in proper concentrations - that is why koko brought it up.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Thank you anorea. [emoji4] He's come a long way from that 99 cent fish. If we're looking at the same spot he doesn't have any protrusions, it's a shiny patch he has under both of his eyes.
20170329_073845.jpg

How old is he? I have a sarasa comet who is 14! Those patches sound adorable.