Sign in to follow this  
kitsulove

Bump on goldfish

My black moor has this raised bump on its body. I'm not sure what it is. She's active and eating just fine. It's been maybe 4 days and it kind of got a little bigger and darker. 37c04d574a315ec5b58d9999caad8ab6.jpg2a52eedc9728dcd82e2f6316a1888140.jpgf7697abed6248a6b0c87a19a04cf3781.jpg

I tried getting ok photos but she keeps moving around in the tank.

Hi! If you could fill out this form, it will help the mods work out the issue. Thanks for the photos! If you have trouble copying and pasting the form you can quote my post and fill it out that way :)

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

22 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Hi! If you could fill out this form, it will help the mods work out the issue. Thanks for the photos! If you have trouble copying and pasting the form you can quote my post and fill it out that way :)

• * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

I forgot to fill this out. I remember someone told me to fill it out when I have a question. My bad!

Ammonia (tank) 0ppm  (tap) .25ppm
Nitrite (tank) 0ppm  (tap)ppm
Nitrate (tank) 20 ppm (tap)0ppm
Ph (tank) 7.0 (tap) 8.4

test kit is API master test kit
water temp is 70 
tank size is 55 and it's been running for over 3 months 
I have 2 filters. One is a marineland penguin 200 and a canister filter magnum 350 from the same brand.
I change my water once a week because the nitrates go up within a week. I change about 25%-50% depending on how high the nitrates are
It's going to be a week tomorrow since I did a water change. I can only do the water change on my days off. I changed about 25%
7 including the black moor. 2 are shown in the photos and they're smaller than the black moor except the telescope ranchu. It's body is almost the same size. I have another Oranda that's bigger than the black moor, 2 guppies and 1 female betta.
I use the API tap water conditioner and ph up. 
I feed my fish Hikari fancy goldfish pellets, brine shrimp or flakes. I feed them once a day.
Newest addition to the tank is my telescope ranchu
No medication in the tank besides salt from API
For my black moor (as shown on photos above) she has this pinkish red bump on her body. She's acting like she normally does, swim around, eat, eat my from fingers when I do feed brine shrimp to them.  

Hi there!  We will try to help you out but I have a few more questions first.

Do you know if your water is hard or soft?

Could you please hold your fish in your hand and snap a picture out of the water with flash?  That might help us see it better.  Are you sure this a raised bump and not a missing scale?

Edited by Arctic Mama

Welcome to Kokos and hope your Goldfish feels better.

Hi there!  We will try to help you out but I have a few more questions first.

Do you know if your water is hard or soft?

Could you please hold your fish in your hand and snap a picture out of the water with flash?  That might help us see it better.  Are you sure this a raised bump and not a missing scale?

For the tap water in my house is soft. The outside I'm not 100% sure if it's hard water.
I'll do that when I get home. I'm still at work for now. She's had a missing scale before, but it doesn't look like it now. I looked at her in the morning before work and it's more of a darker red now

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thanks for doing such a thorough job of answering questions.  For future reference, please answer the questions on the form.  I suspect you didn't realize that would work.  

We read these forms so often that we get confused if the answer isn't in place, so I put your answers on the form.  

On 3/25/2017 at 11:34 PM, FishyMandy said:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank)0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)20
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)0.25
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.0
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)8.4
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API master test kit
      • * Water temperature? 70F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?55, 3 months
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? marineland penguin 200 and a canister filter magnum 350 from the same brand
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?once a week because the nitrates go up within a week. I change about 25%-50% depending on how high the nitrates are
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? It's going to be a week tomorrow since I did a water change. I can only do the water change on my days off. I changed about 25%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 7 including the black moor. 2 are shown in the photos and they're smaller than the black moor except the telescope ranchu. It's body is almost the same size. I have another Oranda that's bigger than the black moor, 2 guppies and 1 female betta.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? API tap water conditioner and ph up
    I feed my fish Hikari fancy goldfish pellets, brine shrimp or flakes. I feed them once a day.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Newest addition to the tank is my telescope ranchu
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No medication in the tank besides salt from API
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? For my black moor (as shown on photos above) she has this pinkish red bump on her body. She's acting like she normally does, swim around, eat, eat my from fingers when I do feed brine shrimp to them.  
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? no

I'd like to expand a bit on Arctic Mama's question about your tap water.  You said it was soft.  Do you use a water softener?  Do you have any other treatments to the tap water, like filters? Could you collect samples of your indoor and outdoor tap water, take them to a fish/pet store, and request a test of GH and KH? Demand specific numbers for the results-- not descriptors like safe, good, dangerous, etc.  We need to deal with the large pH difference between the tap and tank water but we need more information to know how to best handle it.  

If you haven't read our guidelines yet, please do so.  You have followed good fish husbandry practices and we'd like to upgrade those to excellent.  

You note that we recommend 20 gallons per goldfish and at that stocking level, recommend changing a minimum of 50% of the water weekly.  You can compensate for a smaller than ideal tank by increasing the amount of water you change.  With your fish load, I would recommend changing at least 80% of the water weekly, but doing that all at once would subject the fish to a stressful pH change.

Thanks for doing such a thorough job of answering questions.  For future reference, please answer the questions on the form.  I suspect you didn't realize that would work.  
We read these forms so often that we get confused if the answer isn't in place, so I put your answers on the form.  
I'd like to expand a bit on Arctic Mama's question about your tap water.  You said it was soft.  Do you use a water softener?  Do you have any other treatments to the tap water, like filters? Could you collect samples of your indoor and outdoor tap water, take them to a fish/pet store, and request a test of GH and KH? Demand specific numbers for the results-- not descriptors like safe, good, dangerous, etc.  We need to deal with the large pH difference between the tap and tank water but we need more information to know how to best handle it.  
If you haven't read our guidelines yet, please do so.  You have followed good fish husbandry practices and we'd like to upgrade those to excellent.  
You note that we recommend 20 gallons per goldfish and at that stocking level, recommend changing a minimum of 50% of the water weekly.  You can compensate for a smaller than ideal tank by increasing the amount of water you change.  With your fish load, I would recommend changing at least 80% of the water weekly, but doing that all at once would subject the fish to a stressful pH change.

Yes I use minerals and not sure about the filters. All I know is that this water company comes to my house every now and then to change this tank.
I'll have to find a store that could do the actual numbers. I just did a water change to bring the nitrates down since they got pretty high since I last posted. I did a 50% change.
I read the guidelines maybe about a month ago when I had a problem with one if the fishes I had.
For the number readings for my water, I'd have to go to a different local pet store. They're more knowledgeable about fishes. I'll post once I get those readings.

fb3d4c3d997ddeb18ad1ff5486f7c0d5.jpgc508785950e7d69e6304e60ff63a8e8b.jpgc836255f70e7718a56dc2f17238ece4b.jpg

More photos of my fish and it's bump