Jump to content

Pectoral Fin Damaged


Recommended Posts

  • Regular Member

So I check on my goldfish a couple days ago after I had been away for the day and found that he seemed to have some sort of injury on its pectoral fin. I was told on another goldfish group that it looked like a minor injury and treating with a peroxide swab should do the trick. Three days later and nothing has improved and in fact gotten worse. The blood seems to be pooling into the fin more and starting to come onto the body. My fear is that he broke his fin and, because he can still use it, is making it worse by swimming. When he rests the fin lays by his side kind of limp, but he does have movement with the fin. I'm not sure what to do at this point to help it heal. I've included some pictures in the links below.

Fin 3 days ago

Fin today

 

 

Edited by LindsayPanes
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
Quote
  • Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level: 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level: 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level: 20ppm
    • * Ammonia Level: 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level: 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level: 5ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank: 7.5
    • * Ph Level, Tap: 7.5
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Nutrafin Test Complete Test Kit (liquid)
      • * Water temperature? 20 degrees Celcius
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 30 gallons for 5-6 years.
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Marineland Penguin 350B Power Filter.
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 90% water change every 2-3 days.
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 90% two days ago.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 goldfish, 2.5" and 1" long.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Basic water conditioner.
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Homemade gel foods (peas, spinach, peppers, carrots, paprika, garlic, etc)
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Smaller 1" goldfish 3 weeks ago.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. None, never been sick or needed to be treated.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Blood pooling in the pectoral fin.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Having trouble staying upright and not using fin much/at all.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
Just now, LindsayPanes said:

Thank you! I'm really worried that it may continue spreading and cause permanent damage.

We will try and help ya hun :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Welcome to Kokos!

Does your homemade food include anything but vegetables?  If so, what?

Did you quarantine the new fish before adding it to the tank?  If so, how long was the quarantine and did you treat with anything during the quarantine period?

What medications do you have or have easy access to?

What does the other pectoral fin look like? A picture of the fish from the under side showing both pectoral fins would help us.

How long have you had the larger fish?

Edited by shakaho
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Hello!

The homemade food is all vegetables, but I sometimes supplement bloodworms for protein if I don't have salmon for the gel food.

The new fish was quarantined for a month before adding him to the tank and he did not receive any treatments during quarantine.

I currently have Tetracycline and some Fungus guard, as well as aquarium salt.

The other pectoral fin is completely normal and fully functioning! This is an older photo but the fin looks exactly the same apart from the orange spot. This is a picture of what would be the damaged fin taken the same day.

The larger fish is a little over a year old now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Does septicemia appear so quick and specific like that? There are no other symptoms of it and there wasn't an ammonia spike and the water is definitely not contaminated. The new fish also has no symptoms of septicemia and there is no other bleeding on the body at all. I have no experience at all with septicemia so I don't know.

Edited by LindsayPanes
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
7 minutes ago, LindsayPanes said:

Does septicemia appear so quick and specific like that? There are no other symptoms of it and there wasn't an ammonia spike and the water is definitely not contaminated. The new fish also has no symptoms of septicemia and there is no other bleeding on the body at all. I have no experience at all with septicemia so I don't know.

Still talking...

 

To me it looks like the fin might have gotten stuck in that filter hinge you have on the filter intake. I have seen this happen before. We are talking on what kind of med you might need or if it can be healed in clean water.... :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
Just now, koko said:

Still talking...

 

To me it looks like the fin might have gotten stuck in that filter hinge you have on the filter intake. I have seen this happen before. We are talking on what kind of med you might need or if it can be healed in clean water.... :) 

Thank you!

It would be very surprising if that did happen because he almost never swims up to it unless it is to get the larger chunks of food that get caught in the bars. Do you think a salt dip to prevent infection would help in the mean time?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
Just now, LindsayPanes said:

Thank you!

It would be very surprising if that did happen because he almost never swims up to it unless it is to get the larger chunks of food that get caught in the bars. Do you think a salt dip to prevent infection would help in the mean time?

I don't think the salt would do much... Do you have Metro on hand? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
2 minutes ago, koko said:

I don't think the salt would do much... Do you have Metro on hand? 

Metro+? Not on hand, but I might be able to get a hold of some tomorrow. Right now I only have Tetracycline and Fungus Guard in my fishy medicine cabinet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
18 minutes ago, LindsayPanes said:

Does septicemia appear so quick and specific like that? There are no other symptoms of it and there wasn't an ammonia spike and the water is definitely not contaminated. The new fish also has no symptoms of septicemia and there is no other bleeding on the body at all. I have no experience at all with septicemia so I don't know.

Septicemia can be isolated in my experience. Very common at the base of a fin/fins where the blood vessels are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
5 minutes ago, koko said:

Okay the more I think the more I would use either Maracyn 2 or OXYTETRACYCLINE HYDROCHLORIDE. sorry for the caps. :o

 

I don't think I'll be able to find Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride locally, but I can ask for Maracyn 2 and see if they stock it. Is Metro a good fall back if I can't get it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
9 minutes ago, LindsayPanes said:

I don't think I'll be able to find Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride locally, but I can ask for Maracyn 2 and see if they stock it. Is Metro a good fall back if I can't get it?

Metro I think would do the least help in this. I would try those two ....

 

I have noticed you haven't treated either on with PRazi... So We could do the Prazi with Metro or the Maracyn2 for the fin. At some point I would highly suggest to PRazi them and Metro. You could use General Cure which has both in it. Also I would like to say that with the second fish the tank at some point will need to be bigger. 20 gallons per fish is the best way to go. 

:) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
9 minutes ago, koko said:

Metro I think would do the least help in this. I would try those two ....

 

I have noticed you haven't treated either on with PRazi... So We could do the Prazi with Metro or the Maracyn2 for the fin. At some point I would highly suggest to PRazi them and Metro. You could use General Cure which has both in it. Also I would like to say that with the second fish the tank at some point will need to be bigger. 20 gallons per fish is the best way to go. 

:) 

Sounds good, I'll look into them!

Unfortunately I know that's the case. This tank was sold to me as a 40 gallon but it wasn't until later that I measured it and found out it was 10 gallons smaller than it was supposed to be. I've been trying my best to make up for it in extra water changes, but I wouldn't be able to get a larger tank unless I move it out of the house I am in currently. I've been in the progress of planning out a larger tank with a sump for some extra gallons of water, but the problem is location and permission, unfortunately. Until I can get moved out and settled, I've been making do with keeping an eye on water parameters and changing the water whenever it reaches 20ppm and changing as much as possible. Within the next year I should have the resources to get a new place and a bigger tank though, fingers crossed!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Helper
11 hours ago, Goldiegirl said:

Septicemia can be isolated in my experience. Very common at the base of a fin/fins where the blood vessels are.

I have to contest this.  Septicemia is a bacterial infection that has entered the bloodstream and thus spread throughout the entire system.  Very rarely is it visible only asymmetrically.  If this bleeding were through the base of both fins and the animal had blanched color and darting?  It's possible.  But I agree that it looks like a mechanical injury and not even a break, if the fin can move. Unfortunately there isn't much for it but time and a low stress environment.  Low to no current and plenty of hiding places is key right now, on top of the basic all purpose happy fishkeeping tonic of very clean water. 

 

Sorry Koko, I'm not convinced this needs medication yet.  Oxy and Metro would be great to have on hand but I'd only do clean water at present.  The assymetric nature of it and what I'm seeing looks like injury and aggravation of it, not an infection. And certainly not a system wide infection.

Edited by Arctic Mama
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...