Sign in to follow this  
Rickisrad

Red spots on Ryukin

Clean water, no salt right now.  I want it warm and we are going to do a course of the malachite green first.  Can you take a picture of your bottle's front and back so I can review their concentration and instructions?

You will likely also need to obtain Furan 2 and Kanamycin from Amazon or similar retailer, because that is where I'm going next if the malachite green doesn't knock this out.  

I'll give you more specific dosing instructions for your quarantine once I've seen the bottle okay?

I only had a few drops left in the bottle that I had. I will pick up some more after work today and then post the pictures for dosing instructions. There are a few aquatic specialty stores as well as Petsmart and Pet Supply Plus around me so I will look there for the other products you recommended. I also have Melafix on hand if that can be substituted for one of the anti-bacterial remedies. 

Wiggles and I appreciate all of the help!!

Melafix is not a substitute for Furan 2 or kanamycin . . .  They both are good to have on hand even if you don't end up using them at this time.  I'd get them if you can. :D

Okay, I'm going to have you dose that malachite green every day at a drop per gallon, with 100% water changes every two days as it reacts with biological material and exhausts.  Continue dosing every day, with water changes every two days, for six days.  No lights on the tank please, and NO filter.  Just an airstone and those water changes. Keep the temperature as close to 80 degrees as the fish will tolerate.

Feed very lightly twice daily if he will eat.  Extra food will foul the water AND make the meds less effective, so go for only two mouthfuls per feed.

Ok I will start the treatment tomorrow after work that way I can monitor activity. I'm not home right now. I will not turn on the lights and I will turn off the filter. I don't have carbon in the filter only a sponge. The temp is an automatic 78* heater. 

Again, I appreciate all of the help

Last day of the malachite green and Wiggles looks great!! How long should I keep in quarantine? Thanks for the great help!!

http://IMG_6220_zpswdw9lkx1.jpg

http://IMG_6218_zpsahy2vkbx.jpg

Edited by Rickisrad

Wiggles looks great!!!  

He looks much better!  The red should clear from the tail with time, but I'd keep him in quarantine another week or so and make sure it's fully knocked out.

:) thanks again. He has had that red in the tail for a couple years (since he was a baby) I think because it is so transparent you can see the blood flow. 

On 09/04/2017 at 0:31 AM, Rickisrad said:

:) thanks again. He has had that red in the tail for a couple years (since he was a baby) I think because it is so transparent you can see the blood flow. 

this is a correct observation. veins appear more predominant in white or matte white goldfish. although your fish's veins are an indication of the recent stress it experienced, they should settle down more than what you see them at currently. good work on restoring her health :)

How are things going? 

He is still in quarantine. I'm trying to clear up his eyes. He tends to scrape them up because he is so crazy. It's been an ongoing battle since a baby. I'll probably transfer him back this weekend. 

Well he has been in the main tank since the 24th and he is starting to develop the same issue. I don't know what to do with him. I can't keep switching him back and forth. No other fish in the tank shows any sign of this. 

So sorry to hear that. My BEST to him.

1 hour ago, Rickisrad said:

Well he has been in the main tank since the 24th and he is starting to develop the same issue. I don't know what to do with him. I can't keep switching him back and forth. No other fish in the tank shows any sign of this. 

Im thinking you might need to get him his own tank :) 

I only have a 10 gallon. I can't get myself to spend a ton of money on a bigger tank for one fish. Albeit we like him but no more room for more tanks. :(

Can you do a recap of what treatments he has undergone and whether he was in the main tank or QT at the time of the treatments?  Also are there other fish besides GF in the main tank?  There is something in that main tank that's not in the QT that's bothering him.  We need to figure out what it is . . . 

In the main tank I started with copper then changed to prazi. Those didn't work so I transferred him to the quarantine. I treated with prazi again and it did not help. I then treated with malachite green. That helped get better. I transferred back to the main tank a week after treatment ended. It took 2-3 days in the main tank and he developed the same issue. There are harlequin rasboras, plecos, and 3 "sharks". None of them pay any attention to the GF. 

I have a decision to make. I either need to keep Wiggles in the 10 gallon tank with some plecos for the rest of his life or put him down. He is getting bad. Unfortunately, the pictures attached look good compared to his underbelly.

http://IMG_6383_zps3cpqh4vk.jpg 

Sorry to hear he isn't doing well. 

There is something in that Main tank that isn't working for him. I would highly suggest either have him in his own tank or get rid of all those other fish.

can we have a photo of the main tank Im sorry if you posted it already, I tried to find it :) 

I decided to keep him in a 10 gallon by himself. Its small for him but I can't spend the money for a bigger tank. 

http://IMG_6385_zpsceysacvc.jpg

http://IMG_6392_zpsutibmsp5.jpg

My I also suggest if your going to keep him in this tank, Take all those Logs and big objects out of there. The more stuff you put in there the less room he has. It will change the volume of the tank. So instead of 10 gallons you might only have 7-8 gallons in stead. :) 

That picture is of the main 65 gallon tank that he was in. I just moved him to a new 10 gallon tank that has no decorations or gravel until he is done with treatment.