Sign in to follow this  
Rickisrad

Red spots on Ryukin

Hello, I have noticed these red spots on my Ryukin goldfish. Initially I thought that it s(he) was damaging itself by swimming crazily into a piece of driftwood. When I feed him he likes to do flips and go nuts showing off. Well the red spots seem to be spreading. Looking closer it looks like there is possibly white (anchorworms?) things sticking out of the sores. Any idea on specific treatments and what exactly it is?? http://IMG_6167_zpsjobu42tv.jpg

http://IMG_6175_zpsfzdtwt80.jpg

Welcome to Kokos!!!! Hope your Goldfish feels better. She is beautiful!!!

:hi 

Please fill out the following form as it will help us figure out what is going on with your fish.  Thanks for the pics . . . 

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)    0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)        0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)        20-30
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)      0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)           0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)           0
    • * Ph Level, Tank              7.3
    • * Ph Level, Tap                7.0
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
      • * Water temperature? 79.8 degrees F
      • * Tank size 60 gallon tank up for approximately 6 years
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Emperor 400 biowheel
      • * 20% water change bi weekly-3 weeks
  • * 3 weeks 20% change?
  • * 1 big Ryukin, 10 rasbora, 8 neon tetra, 8 small plecos, 3 redline shark.
  • * I use aqua safe water conditioner, bacteria boost
  • * omega flake food, omega wafers, omega shrimp pellets, and spectrum thera a pellets, once a day?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?  No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Melafix
  • * I use salt all the time 1 tbsp. ocean salt per 5 gallons of water. About 1.5 years ago ick outbreak from new addition to tank. Killed off about 10 fish but the goldfish in question survived. treated with Formalyn.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • One rasbora has tail rot? then the spots on the goldfish in the picture.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? All seem to be eating fine and I do not notice any different behavior.

What type of pleco is a "small" pleco? :idont 

Why do you routinely salt?

In the first pic, the eye looks white.  Is that on the inside or the outside of the eye?  How long has it been like that?  Is the other eye like that?

Also, the bacteria boost is most likely not needed in a 6 year old established tank IMO, unless perhaps you're adding more fish and anticipate a cycle bump. :D

Sorry for all the questions just trying to get a feel for what's going on . . .  I will discuss this with other mods and get back with you.

I can't see anything that looks like anchorworm in the pic so if you still see something sticking out could you try and get a closer pic of it?

Bristlenose plecos and a gold nugget pleco. 3-4" max size.

I have always salted as a preventative measure and to keep the electrolyte balance. I have read good and bad on salting. There is usually no in between thinking. Same thing with the bacteria boost. I use it when I change the water. Always have. 

The one eye is cloudy since this issue. 

I will try to get a better picture.

When I upload the pictures to photobucket they are not as clear anymore. 

Thanks for the pic.  That is helpful.  The mod team has discussed your situation and we have a few suggestions.

The spot furthest back on the fish (closest to the tail) looks like a bacterial cyst that is "oozing", kind of like a pimple popping.  Typically the best treatment for this is good, clean water.  

One concern is WCs of just 20% done every 2-3 weeks at a rather warm temperature for GF.  This nice warm environment provides an excellent opportunity for pathogen growth.  One of the pathogens we're concerned about is flukes.  It doesn't seem as though you've treated this fish for flukes and the flipping and showing off the fish does, while it may look cool, could actually be the fish flashing, trying to "scratch an itch" caused by flukes.  The red spots you're seeing may very well be infected fluke attachment sites.  

Some of the tropical fish you have in with your GF may also be nipping (rasboras and tetras can be nippy).  And while you may never see them nipping, it may very well take place at night while the GF is less active.

We'd recommend a couple of things.  First would be a large WC.  Your tap and tank pH are close enough that you can do an 80-90% change without any issues.  I'd also suggest treating with prazi.  Once you have the prazi we can help set up a treatment schedule.

Finally, we'd also suggest weekly WCs of 50%, leaving out the salt.  I realize you've always used it but most of us (if not all of us) on the mod team do not feel it is needed on a daily basis and should be used for treatment purposes.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I will look at a couple aquatic specialty stores for the Prazipro. If I can't find it I will order it. How do you feel about coppersafe? I have that on hand. 

I did a 20% water change yesterday I will do a 50% today. I will do bigger water changes more frequently. 

I have not seen any of the rasboras or tetras nip. I have also not seen any signs of nipping. 

I think coppersafe is very harsh and other treatments (whether PraziPro for flukes or good ole 0.3% salt and heat for ich) are much more effective and safer.

Again, while you may not see them nipping they could be doing it when you don't see it.  The nipping may be causing the stress which is making the GF more susceptible to illness such as bacterial cysts and/or flukes.

Ok. Unfortunately the other tank I have has a couple African cichlids in it and a few tiger barbs which were moved because they were nippers. I will look for the Prazi then. 

Goldfish have extreme sensitivity to copper to the point that new copper pipes in the water line can kill the fish.  (It happened to me when I was a kid.) Some people have used Coppersafe successfully on goldfish, but I wouldn't recommend it.  

Ok I had to treat with copper. :( She is getting bad. I ordered the Praxipro and will do a major water change and treat with it when it arrives. Hopefully it comes by Saturday. 

This fish is in a Qt?

No it is not in QT. I have not had much success with a quarantine tank. It seems to stress them out more moving and handling them. I used to keep a 10 gallon set up for a QT tank. I still have it but it is not set up. 

I received the Praxi today. I did a 75% water change and did not add salt this time. I added 3tsp of praxipro because it is a 60 gallon tank. 

I need to pick up new hoods for my 2-10gallon tanks so I can set up one for quarantine and one to keep some of the plecos that keep multiplying like crazy. 

How is it going? 

Thanks for checking!! Funny I was going to post an update with a picture when I got home from work today. She is getting much better. Wiggles still has some flukes hanging on. But her activity level and appearance has improved.  I am going to do a 50% water change today and dose the praxi again for one more week. 

I did remove the neon tetras from the tank. When Wiggles was inactive they were nipping. The Harlequin rasboras stay mid to high in the water and do not bother her. 

Glad they are doing better.

Well she was getting better and now worse. I have read that this is one of the harder parasites to eradicate. I guess there are multiple generations that can live. 

I am thinking that I will have to set up the quarantine tank and keep her in there for a while and treat more aggressively. The goldfish is the only one showing signs of this issue

Sorry to hear that.

Yes, quarantine is always wise if something isn't system wide.  An air stone, thermometer, separate heater, and daily water changes are key.  We also tend to recommend the temperature in the quarantine be slowly raised from the tank temp. For parasites I'd aim for 78-80 degrees if the fish can tolerate it without stress.  I also prefer Paraguard to any other parasite treatment as it seems to be more gentle on the fish than malachite green.

Please give us a rundown of the current symptoms and new pictures so we can best advise you on the next step of treatment, okay?

http://IMG_6200_zpsnyb3jd86.jpg

She is still not better. :( I set up a 10gallon quarantine tank today. Tomorrow it should be ready to transfer. Should I still medicate with Prazi? It hasn't worked thus far. I have malachite, formalin, copper, Prazi, and salt that I can treat with. 

Edited by Rickisrad

I would like you to also if you can get Metro+ I will let AM see what she recommends :)