Sign in to follow this  
mcpesq817

Canister filter recommendations for 100g tank

Hi everyone, thanks very much for all the help on my other thread regarding a 46g bowfront.  After all the helpful advice and experience, my thinking now is to return that tank and up-tank to something like a 100g acrylic.   The dimensions are 60"x18"x20", which I think would give the fish a lot more room and possibly allow me to add another fish or two.

I've been looking into filtration and am hoping to get recommendations on what would work for a tank this size.  This will be in my living room, so for marital harmony, I am looking to go canister rather than HOB so that I can keep the tank closer to the wall and for cleaner lines.  My very slight preference would be to go with Eheim (though, if I get an acrylic with a black background, I'll have to swap out the green hoses and possibly spray bar).  I also started looking into Fluval which are cheaper and have black components, but I think you have to buy media, etc.  I also think I would prefer getting two smaller canisters for better water flow and protection if one should go down) rather than one extra large unit.

Eheim:  If I went Eheim, are two 2217s going to be strong enough?  I think the gph are 264, so that would put my slightly over 5x.  Instead, should I go with two of the Pro 4+ line models?  If so, which would be best?  I have a hard time discerning the Eheim line-up, gph, etc.

Fluval:  If I went Fluval, are two 406s (245gph each), or should I bump up to two FX-4s or FX-6s (latter I think is 538 gph each).  I also noticed that Fluval reports figures not only for pump output, but also filter circulation.  I'm assuming the latter, which tends to be around half of the pump output, depending on filter), is the key when it comes to the 10x number (or 5-7x number for canisters)?

Thanks so much in advance!

Hi!!  I  absolutely recommend the sun sun canisters on eBay! I have 3 and all run silent and do a great job!!....You will like the price too. :-)

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/sunsun-canister-filter

Edited by fingers

Not an expert but can tell you my experience with Fluval canisters. I have 2 ranchus and 2 ryukins in a 75 gallon.

I bought that 75g used and it came with 2 fluval 405. They kept my water immaculate. The fish were fine with the current from the output. My only gripe was how hard it was to take off the top of the canister during maintenance.

When petsmart had the FX6 on-sale during Black Friday 2016, I bought two FX6 to replace my aging 405s. The FX6 is a beast, in terms of size and performance. I can't even fit them under my stand. I deployed one in the 75G and I noticed that even my ryukins are having a hard time adjusting to the current from the FX6's output. I read people were modifiying them with diy spray bars to buffer it. Others suggested directing the output upwards toward the tank's wall. This worked for a while, but when I transfered an ECR ranchu to the tank, he started looking like blimp.

Someone in another forum replaced the nozzle on the FX6 with this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B5EIGK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_66oApCENyu2gm[/url]. I tried it and after a couple of trials found the ideal spot to direct the flow.

So right now my 75g has a 405 and an FX6. They take care of the debris, floaters like bits of food and poop are gone in minutes.

I don't know how strong the current from 2 FX6 in a 100g would be but I know one guy that runs two of them in a 125g long and another fellow that also have two in his 150g tall, both said their goldfish are fine with the current.

That's my 2cents, hope it helps. And do keep in mind that nothing beats a regularly scheduled water change and filter maintenance.

Thank you both - very good information, I really appreciate it!

Anyone out there use Eheims that can help?

I think Koko does.

I have a sunsun that has been in operation for 3 years without much issue. Really the only one I had was from dropping it once. Now when I prime it leaks a little but I don't think I would have had that issue if I had not dropped it lol.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

I don't anymore. But if you do the Eheim I would suggest the pro series they are easier to deal with :) 

Thank you both - very good information, I really appreciate it!
Anyone out there use Eheims that can help?

You're welcome. I forgot to mention that my fish are 4+ inches long (excluding tail). I tried to place my 2 inch ranchu in the 75g and he had a hard time handling the current.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the advice.  If anyone else has Eheim or Fluval filters for a tank around 100g, I would greatly appreciate any information!

Anyone know if the Eheim pro series have black tubing or not?  I'd hate to have to replace the tubing but I'm thinking of going with a black background for my tank.

10 hours ago, mcpesq817 said:

Anyone know if the Eheim pro series have black tubing or not?  I'd hate to have to replace the tubing but I'm thinking of going with a black background for my tank.

When I had one it was a green like color hose... It was to help keep the Algae down but that never worked for me :lol 

My pro had the green tubing but from what I remember you don't see the tubing in the tank.  

Thanks guys.  I ordered the tank and stand yesterday, and should get it in by the end of the month.  I have a little more time to figure out the filtration in the meantime :)

2 minutes ago, mcpesq817 said:

Thanks guys.  I ordered the tank and stand yesterday, and should get it in by the end of the month.  I have a little more time to figure out the filtration in the meantime :)

We are here to help you anytime :) 

So it looks like the newer Eheim 4+ line has black tubing.  Makes it a lot easier.  With a 100g tank, would the Pro 4+ 600 (2275) work?  It apparently is rated for tanks up to 160 gallons, with 330gph flow.  If I got two of them, that would be around 6.6x flow, which seems to be within the 5-7x range recommended for canisters.

https://www.bigalspets.com/eheim-pro-4-canister-filters.html?sku=6667

Other alternatives are (1) the Pro 4e+ 350 (2274), which is rated for tanks up to 95 gallons yet seems to have a 400gph output (but is a lot pricier, especially if I buy two), or (2) the Pro 3 2080 (1200XL), which is rated for tanks up to 320 gallons and 450gph flow, or the Pro 3e 2076 or 2078, which are rated for tanks over 100 gallons, and have flow rates of over 400gph (but are a little pricier and have green tubing).

I thought about going with the Fluval FX4 or FX6, but they seem to be slightly louder than Eheim (tank will be in my living room/main TV room) and seem to be pretty powerful units - not enough to use just one, and two would seem to be overkill on my 100g tank.  Then of course I see others using these filters on tanks like 50g, so I'm just very confused.  

I'm leaning towards getting two Pro 4+ 600s, but would welcome any thoughts or recommendations.