Unpacking shipped betta?

Shahbazin

A few days ago, we lost our old betta, Cee :( Just old age, from the signs, & the cories are as perky as ever. And as it's sad to have no betta greeting us in that tank, I wanted to get another betta - but just the right one - so I ended up buying one on-line, a super neat black orchid crowntail. This fellow will be shipped next week, from about 500 miles north of us. I am reading a lot of conflicting advice about how to add a shipped fish to his new tank - do I float him in his bag for a little while to acclimate to temp, then pour him out into a net over a pail, & pop him right into the new tank? The argument here I've heard about shipped goldfish, the ammonia/ammonium "toxic water once bag is opened" thing applies here. Or there's the other camp, the "put him somewhere in his current baggie water & drip new water in there slowly to adapt" idea.

Now with our young betta, Moomoo, from the local Petco, I just put him in a bowl with his cup water, added an equal amount of tank water, let him sit about 10-15 min, added another cup of tank water, sit another 10-15 min, then scooped him out in a plastic cup & popped him in the tank. But this "shipped fish" thing is not the same scenario, & I want to do it right, but I've never introduced a shipped fish before. Help!

• Admin
8 hours ago, Shahbazin said:

A few days ago, we lost our old betta, Cee :( Just old age, from the signs, & the cories are as perky as ever. And as it's sad to have no betta greeting us in that tank, I wanted to get another betta - but just the right one - so I ended up buying one on-line, a super neat black orchid crowntail. This fellow will be shipped next week, from about 500 miles north of us. I am reading a lot of conflicting advice about how to add a shipped fish to his new tank - do I float him in his bag for a little while to acclimate to temp, then pour him out into a net over a pail, & pop him right into the new tank? The argument here I've heard about shipped goldfish, the ammonia/ammonium "toxic water once bag is opened" thing applies here. Or there's the other camp, the "put him somewhere in his current baggie water & drip new water in there slowly to adapt" idea.

Now with our young betta, Moomoo, from the local Petco, I just put him in a bowl with his cup water, added an equal amount of tank water, let him sit about 10-15 min, added another cup of tank water, sit another 10-15 min, then scooped him out in a plastic cup & popped him in the tank. But this "shipped fish" thing is not the same scenario, & I want to do it right, but I've never introduced a shipped fish before. Help!

any fish anytime i do is.... Place them in a bucket. Put some water from my tank every 15 mins in the bucket... After an hour I will place the fish into the tank. Seems to work as I did this for SW fish too to keep the ph and salt level level :) 

He ended up being shipped yesterday, & arrived today - he looks great, & is checking out everything in his new tank! I haven't turned on the tank lights with him yet, as I don't want to stress him out while he settles in, but I'll take lots of pics tomorrow :)

I took lots of pics - & I got one sort of usable one; Galvorn is one fast fish! He moves around really quickly, & tends to stay towards the back of the tank, where he can look impressive for his reflection. The combination of speediness, black fish, dubious lighting in back, & all those plants sabotaging my auto-focus resulted in one pic where he paused by his heater long enough to be pretty much in focus - so here he is:

Galvorn16Mar8871_zps0xzxdhc2.jpg

He's a neat little guy! Still very busy investigating his new territory. And doesn't seem interested in the cories, thank goodness.