Sign in to follow this  
zjw

Goldfish Bacteria Problem?

Can you scrape it off with a fingernail?

You might want to check out the possibility of epitheliocystis.  This is caused by a yet unclassified intracellular bacteria that doesn't respond to antibiotics.  In that respect it resembles a virus.  

http://www.koi4u.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=166:silver-nitrate&catid=33:medication-1&Itemid=175

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?125104-Carp-Pox-or-Lymphocystis/page3

The lips I couldn't scrape off, but I was able to remove a glob of jelly off of the tail.

There's still a firm lump where I scraped the tail... 

She has shown possible respiratory distress since she came to me. Perhaps it is epitheliocystis? Would I be able to see the cysts on her gills? When I looked, I didn't notice anything obvious. 

With possible respiratory distress, you should treat with  prazi.   You usually need at least two weeks of prazi, and more if the fish actually shows symptoms.

The fingernail test shows the fish doesn't have carp pox.   Try the treatment in first link above.

On March 12, 2017 at 0:39 PM, zjw said:

Ok Thankyou,

how is it going?

I'm treating with prazi at the moment, she has been gasping at the surface pretty bad. Hopefully she will stop after a few treatments.

The spot on her tail has reduced a little, but everything else is the same. Do you think this was a fungus or ich on her tail?

My water is all normal, nitrates are 10ppm. 

On March 17, 2017 at 0:42 PM, zjw said:

I'm treating with prazi at the moment, she has been gasping at the surface pretty bad. Hopefully she will stop after a few treatments.

The spot on her tail has reduced a little, but everything else is the same. Do you think this was a fungus or ich on her tail?

My water is all normal, nitrates are 10ppm. 

When you can get us some updated photos :) 

How are things? 

Unfortunately she is only getting worse ?

Just hangs at the surface sucking air. The growths on her mouth are getting bigger and she is developing more spots on her anal fins. Her tank mates are all fine...

Do you have any updated photos?

On April 7, 2017 at 2:49 AM, zjw said:

Unfortunately she is only getting worse ?

Just hangs at the surface sucking air. The growths on her mouth are getting bigger and she is developing more spots on her anal fins. Her tank mates are all fine...

How are you doing? 

Hi, 

sorry for slow responses... I appreciate everyone asking for updates. Unfortunately, she is the same. I have been keeping the water optimum for her and I have treated multiple times for flukes and salt dipped for costia, but she is the same and is never far from the surface. Makes me sad watching her... When I looked at her gills they seemed to be a dark red colouration, rather than bright pink. The white spots on her lips are still there. Can the exposure to air cause these sores or is it definitely the virus.

Thanks again

A better photo of her mouth. Sorry for always questioning the virus prognosis, just hoping for something less permanent ?