* * Ammonia Level(Tap)0 ppm

* * Nitrite Level(Tap)0 ppm

* * Nitrate level(Tap)0 ppm

* * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4/7.6

* * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4/7.6

* Other Required Info:

* * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

* * Water temperature? 78F

* * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 5 gallons, 4 months

* * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? A drip tray filter came with the tank, and I added a sponge filter

* * How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week, 50%

* * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 days, 50%

* * How many fish in the tank and their size? Only one adult betta

* * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Prime, Stress Guard

* * What do you feed your fish and how often? Omega One betta buffet

* * Any new fish added to the tank? No

* * Any medications added to the tank? Not currently

* * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.

--one full round of Kanaplex

--three rounds of Jungle Fungus Clear

--methylene blue baths twice a day for two weeks, methylene blue swab once a day for two weeks

--Bio Bandage swab for ten days

--nothing but clean water and stress guard for the last week.

* * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Tama is tecovering from fon rot, and seems to be doing well. He has a giant white tumor which continues to increase in size.

* * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Tama is eating and swimming as usual. He doesn't act ill.

Tama came to live with us late August, 2016.f494dfc754b86ef4d48cb074f9012801.jpg

In early October we purchase a 5 gallon Aqueon Minibow and moved Tama in. It was rapid-cycled with media from my established goldfish tank.2d1634aa9a833b94b83e168dffddcbd0.jpg

Sorry--it won't let me edit my previous post.

Very shortly after we moved him into the tank, we noticed a black bump on his side, near his spine. I asked on a forum, but no one seemed to know what it might be.09362c67a2d11888fe38e5b1ab3f97a5.jpg

In early December we noticed some ragged fins and increased our water changes. The bump was only slightly larger.677b1a3ec4e2685a0d6f398b91d01493.jpg

Clean water didn't help. The fins got worse, and the bump got bigger. By January his fins were terrible and the bump was larger. It looked like it had burst.0b7d4913161d16492e23a39e83c4a196.jpg

All decorations came out of his tank except for a plastic cup I had soaked for a week in dechlorinated water. At the advice of another forum, we started treating with Jungle Fungus Cure, methylene blue baths, and methylene blue swabs. His fins began recovering, but the tumor burst twice during swabbing, the pus was white and kind of a thicker, creamy consistency. It hasn't burst again, but it's definitely growing. I have dozens upon dozens of photos from throughout this process. Here is the last time I swabbed him.6d41deef70589b302cb4e5c5d1601d43.jpg

And here is today. 4d08d673609e75de6b32f6a0ea3195c3.jpg

The people I've been getting advice from are at their limit. Their last-ditch suggestion is Potassium Permanganate swabs. So I'm here, on my knees, looking to see if there's anything we've missed. Please. Tama is so smart. He is beautiful. He thinks he's a big vicious brute. I want to help him if I can.

• Helper

Sweetheart, I'm so sorry but short of trying to cut the tumor out, which is difficult and could kill him, there isn't much you can do.  We have had some recent threads on the topic someone can search and link to here with a member whose sweet goldfish had a recurring tumor, and one of our brilliant mods (Helen) helped her with the surgical removal, but that's about all that can be done.

I believe Shakaho had come across some research that showed acriflavine could suppress the regrowth of some cancerous cells, but I haven't seen it myself.  That can also be a topical swab.

The fin degradation makes sense - nutrients are being diverted from the fish as the tumor grows, and the immune system trying to encapsulate and eradicate the metastatic cells explains the stress and discharge.  Again though, short of surgical removal there isn't much to be done, and that is difficult and there is no guarantee it will work without regrowth or killing fish.   We can see what the the others have to say and if someone not on the mobile platform can link the treatment threads for Slate, that would be grand.  But otherwise the best measures are end of life comfort care or euthanasia.  There really isn't another treatment I've heard of for aggressive growths in a fish.

• Supporter

i'll be very honest. your betta is not looking well at all. the tumor is too for his size body and in most cases, even if you tried the usual which is to sedate and remove, chances are that it will regrow in the same position and possibly find new locations, bringing multiple tumors.

in my honest opinion and if this were my fish, sadly, i would consider euthing.

Thank you everyone. I'm not surprised, but I was hoping a little bit that someone would say, oh just go get some colloidal silver.

I do really appreciate all of you taking the time to take a look for me.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk