Sign in to follow this  
SweetMamaKaty

Fin Issues

3 hours ago, SweetMamaKaty said:

Thank you. The white spots do look a little better, and I have one or both of the meds but I'm not sure she will make it through the night.

Would one be better than the other, and at what dose (or follow pkg)? I can dose later tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go with Oxy as its not as harmful on the kidneys :) I asuming that AM wants you to do the package instructions. You could wait for her to respond hun. I will get her attention though for you so she can see it when she gets back online :) 

Yes, I'd do oxy as well.  I'm sorry she isn't doing well :(

Sorry I just saw this, had actually been in bed and woke up to a human health emergency. :(
Everything ok now.

I had dosed kanaplex around 10-10:30 eastern, I don't think I had oxy anyway, so fingers crossed! Thank you both

Wow ladies, I sure did not expect to see her swimming this morning!  Not incredibly active, but upright and able to swim. :D

Questions:

I have fasted her 2/15 and 2/16, trying to let her body rest - but should I go back to feeding normally so she has strength?

Since she has been in no salt for the last day, I need to bump it back up gradually again right?

Ok this is bigger than I thought. Looking at everyone (I have been very busy and not spent much time enjoying the tanks, pretty much just doing WCs and that's it), almost all of them have some sign or other of an issue.

I have actually thought for a long time that something is wrong in my tanks and it all seems to be this septicemia/popeye/dropsy strain that got Franklin.

Felicity- ragged fins, listless at surface , one eye is much larger than the other I'm wondering now if it's related to this and not developmental like I thought

Fiona - ragged fins (better than at times, but still) listless, protruding eyes

Filbert - fluid rings around eyes, head standing

New things I noticed today:

Swimfish- eyes protruding

Marmalade- eyes protruding

Seem fine:

Fluffernut

PomPom

I feel a tank nuke coming on.

Felicity update, no white on tail anymore
9de8537e63558365d42fa227689cc14f.jpg

And the eye
2affd0176197b091461369400bab1bab.jpg

Oh and I had meant to post pics of the other fish above.

Swimfish
33e021ca4a9c5889dfaa4e1592859a42.jpg

Marmalade
8106ebd63d33dbe9fa368dc9e798dfee.jpg

Filbert
b6d0a4ab5d824a8cd4f407537c8b0037.jpg

Ok hun let me get this straight you have two goldfish tanks and all the fish are sick? Are we using the same hose to drain the tank? 

Also could I have photos of the tanks :) 

1 hour ago, SweetMamaKaty said:

Ok this is bigger than I thought. Looking at everyone (I have been very busy and not spent much time enjoying the tanks, pretty much just doing WCs and that's it), almost all of them have some sign or other of an issue.

I have actually thought for a long time that something is wrong in my tanks and it all seems to be this septicemia/popeye/dropsy strain that got Franklin.

Felicity- ragged fins, listless at surface , one eye is much larger than the other I'm wondering now if it's related to this and not developmental like I thought

Fiona - ragged fins (better than at times, but still) listless, protruding eyes

Filbert - fluid rings around eyes, head standing

New things I noticed today:

Swimfish- eyes protruding

Marmalade- eyes protruding

Seem fine:

Fluffernut

PomPom

I feel a tank nuke coming on. emoji20.png

I hope you can find out whats going on.  

Yes two tanks. I do use the same equipment because I've also been swapping fish around to get the big ones all together and the little ones. Sounds weird, here was the situation:
When I got my ECR fish, I had the two of them in my 29 gallon, and Swimfish, Fiona, Felicity, and Filbert in the 72 gallon. But I really wanted the little teles out on their own so they could get more of the food. So after the QT period, I moved the ECR fish to the 72 and actually moved Fiona (red cap) and Filbert over to the 29 since I knew something was wrong with them and thought it would be a good chance to try to help them without setting up a separate qt. I did furan 2 on them together in the 29, and it made no difference so I figured they were just going to be like this. At that point I moved Fiona back over to the 72 and moved Felicity into the 29 with Filbert. Then I got PomPom, and after his QT, he went in with Felicity and Filbert.

Final tank configuration:
72 gallon - Swimfish, Fiona, Fluffernut, and Marmalade
29 gallon - Felicity, Filbert, and PomPom

72 gallon
1c684f74a8bdfd9f538019be7352d705.jpg

29 gallon
d6c6edbebed531926d80ff84aaade325.jpg

Fiona is now about where Felicity was yesterday, but she doesn't stay at the surface, so I have her out of the tank now to keep her away from the filter.
0809da7faced5820b038cef327bb9186.jpg

I'm not ignoring you Katy, but I'm in the middle of school. Keep going with the kana, do big water changes, and I'll come back later today and try to help you untangle this.

2 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I'm not ignoring you Katy, but I'm in the middle of school. Keep going with the kana, do big water changes, and I'll come back later today and try to help you untangle this.

:thumbup2:

Oy vey.  Okay.  Yes, we may nuke the tanks.  My suggestion is to move your filters to the smaller tank and run them on it with no fish and colloidal silver plus meth blue.  It shouldn't hurt the denitrifyers too much but we want to try and beat back any bacterial populations that have gotten out of control or starve any viruses of a host for at least 2 weeks.  That smaller tank will need to be warmed up to 86 degrees, sans fish (plants and substrate are okay, they will benefit from the antimicrobial properties of the two meds), for a full two weeks.  This should mature and nuke any number of little beasties.  Most aquatic pathogens need a specific animal host AND temperature range and we are depriving them of both this way.  I'd do a 1 tablespoon of silver and 2 tablespoons of meth blue in there, no lights, and change the water fully every three or for four days to refresh the meth blue (which exhausts in the presence of organics).

Thafs for all filters, equipment, substrate, etc. Sterilize all nets and tubing in boiling water.

Thanks AM. Edit - you answered about the sand.

Can I medicate all the fish together in the 72 with a sponge filter for example? I'm very limited on time.

Nursing, hang on about fish.

Okay, I'm fine with treating your fish in the bigger tank. That was my thought anyway.  It's a lot of meds used up because of the volume but it will save you on labor.

We are going to do *everyone* in that tank with Kanaplex and .5% salt.  The tank also need to be as warm as they will tolerate without gasping.  What we are watching for is if the kana and salt improves behavior, fin condition, etc.  If they don't look at all better by four or five days in we will be trying metro along with it to really knock this out.  We may even have to try a big jug of Paraguard if the antibiotics are ineffective and the salt isn't enough.  Just FYI, in case you are putting together a shopping list.

The big tank need to have nothing in it but fish.  No filters, we don't want to harbor anything and you're going to be changing the water every two days anyway.  It's fourteen days of all this together and we may continue the salt for a week or two longer even when the kanaplex course is done.  Both tanks will need heaters unfortunately, but that should be the only extra equipment you need.

Now you can add Felicity back in with everyone else for her treatment in a colander if you wish, to keep it simpler for you.  The extra day or two or kanaplex won't hurt her more than whatever is ailing her.  

Any questions?

Edited by Arctic Mama

Thank you so much - I think this is the most do-able process for me considering the situation!

Only questions I can think of right now are -

Food, regular feeding? I have only been feeding once a day right now anyway. 

And can I have a bubble wand in with the fish for air/circulation?

I'll order some extra Kana, the Paraguard (ouchie, I will have to hold off there and hope it doesn't come to that), and another heater.  I ordered the Meth Blue a little earlier today.

Edited by SweetMamaKaty

Food - two small feedings, one gulp per fish.  

Bubbler is fine but throw away the air line and boil the stone when you are done.

OH one last thing- snails, what should I do with them?

Hmmm... that's tough to keep the maintenance down.  Maybe just put them in a cup and drain and refill the water with dechlorinatsd water nightly?  I'd add a few drops of meth blue too.

How are you doing ?

Oh Koko, your timing is perfect - not good. It has taken me a little while to get them up to .5% salt, so that level just happened Friday night, temp still at 80F and doing kanaplex.

I could tell yesterday that they were not happy, but thought it must have just been the last salt bump. Felicity (orange tele) has been bottom sitting and now SwimFish (orange fantail) is too which is very unusual for him. Filbert (calico tele) is kind of hanging, and Fluffernut (black oranda) and Marmalade (ranchu) seem a little unhappy but ok. PomPom (tiny tele) did not make it. :( I let Fiona (red cap) go a few days ago because she was so far gone.

So I'm getting ready to do another WC, and thought maybe not so much salt this time, what do you recommend?

Since I have never done .5% salt. Im giving AM a ring a ding for you :)