Sign in to follow this  

Hello again! This is my third time coming here for help for a different fish.. I am still learning how to recognize specific problems and how to treat them. Thanks for any input!

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)  looks like 5ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0-5ppm (nice! it used to always read about 20ppm!)  
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2 
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)  8
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  API drops
      • * Water temperature?  70 F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?  55 Gallons. I just recently set it back up so it's only been running for a month or so. 
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear 70 (300 gph) and two large sponge filters for 75 gallons (not sure of gph). One sponge was taken from another tank and has been seeding the aquaclear since I set up the tank approx 1 month ago.
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Every week, at least 75%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 4 days ago, 75% or so.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 goldfish, each about 3 inches or 25 grams
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? NLS thera A pellets, a few times a day. Occasionally frozen bloodworms or spirulina flakes.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? I have another goldfish tank that I stocked about 2 months ago. They were separated and inspected for a while BUT never treated for anything. I did mix one fish from this tank with the problem tank not long ago. He's since been moved back to his other tank and still looks OK.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Nothing right now
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  He was last treated with Prazi-powder and salt .3% as a preventive in October.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? He has blood streaks in his anal fins, red blotches on his gill plates, and a sore spot on his belly from sitting.. It looks like he has some excess slime coat between his scales? Hard to capture in pictures. He also had a raised white spot on his gill plate but it must have come off when I handled him.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? He is acting lethargic and his fins are clamped sometimes. I haven't seen any scratching and he eats OK

Here's some pictures. Does this look like flukes from mixing my fish? Thanks for looking!

PI4boiT.jpgDc73JXE.jpgCLLOZu4.jpg6xg3yxh.jpg7MUh6NP.jpg

I have no idea what ails your fish.  I see the clamping and the irritation on the bottom.  I'll report this to the mod team to see what everyone thinks.

What medications do you have?

I have Prazi powder, salt, epsom salt, kanaplex, furan 2, hex shield food, pimafix and melafix. I think that's it

I forgot to mention I have been feeding them scoops of duckweed for the past 3 weeks because of some floaty fish. The duckweed is pretty new from ebay so I don't know much about it other than it was grown in an above ground pond in Texas. I've been feeding it to all of my goldfish and no one else has his symptoms right now.

Hope your Goldfish feels better.

20 hours ago, DawnMichele said:

Hope your Goldfish feels better.

Thank you me too!

The little blotches on his gill plate look better today but the thick blood streaks have spread to his tail. I also saw some fin flicking

Hello 

I would do salt dips at least three of them see if that helps. then I would do a Prazi and Metro. Other than that really can figure out what is causing this :( 

2 hours ago, koko said:

Hello 

I would do salt dips at least three of them see if that helps. then I would do a Prazi and Metro. Other than that really can figure out what is causing this :( 

Alright I'll start doing salt dips tomorrow.. I just read the salt dip procedure but how long should I wait between dips? Is it like once each day?

Also should I quarantine him or just treat all my tanks with prazi and metro at once?

Do the dips daily for a week if he handles them well.  If he has trouble, switch to every other day.  Never use an antibiotic on the whole tank.  You can certainly prazi the whole tank, but he needs to be in a separate tank since you will use metro.  

Since he has been bottom sitting, I recommend a shallow underbed tote for a hospital tank.  Get something like this or this.  These give lots of swimming room which may encourage activity and the shallow water makes for good gas exchange.  I use a pair of 8 gallon totes of this shape and do daily "bucket to bucket'" water changes for ailing fish.  I feed them all the duckweed they can eat.

Alright sounds good! He's in the recovery tub after his first salt dip. He seems to have handled it well, but during the bath he developed white patches almost instantly... Is that normal? They cleared up as quickly as they appeared after I moved him but it was pretty alarming!

The irritation on his belly healed up but he has some new red marks on the bottom side of his gill plate and by his pectoral fin. I haven't seen him bottom sit since I first posted and I still haven't seen him scratch so I'm a little confused about how the marks got there.

MjSv4BE.jpg

Edited by Mighty
wording

I've seen those with parasites and bacterial infections. Hard to tell which it could be.  The white stuff was just slime coat sloughing off, don't worry about it.

Since more red patches popped up I'd definitely keep doing salt dips and begin metronidazole.  We like a two week course in a hospital tank.

Would General Cure by API be ok? It says it contains 250mg Metronidazole and 75mg of prazi per packet. I could keep using plain prazi afterwards but this is the only metro I have on hand right now.

Side note: He is doing really well so far. I think he is having a blast in QT because the airstone is causing a constant confetti effect with the duckweed in there.

Yes, you can use General Cure.  I didn't recommend it because it is expensive and you already had prazi.  

5 hours ago, Mighty said:

Would General Cure by API be ok? It says it contains 250mg Metronidazole and 75mg of prazi per packet. I could keep using plain prazi afterwards but this is the only metro I have on hand right now.

Side note: He is doing really well so far. I think he is having a blast in QT because the airstone is causing a constant confetti effect with the duckweed in there.

Im like that I used General Cure on my babies as it was easier to deal with :) 

I know Sharon its more expensive but the convince is worth it sometimes :)  

Thank you all :) I think he will be fine with treatment but i'll update if anything changes. His blood streaks have already started to subside and he's acting like his usual self

How is it going? 

On 2/26/2017 at 11:37 AM, koko said:

How is it going? 

He looks great, he's back in his home tank now and there has been no other signs of illness since the first few days of salt baths. Thank you all :goldfish: