Sign in to follow this  
goldfishkeeper

Dropsy vs gas bubble disease?

15a6a73bafe4b57a51ec92fe2c45d32e.jpg

Hey guys need ur help abt this one. I noticed one afternoon that there are blisters underneath my pearlscale. What do u guys think? Activity dropped a little. But still swims upright. Doesnt stay too long at the top or bottom. Gets excited to food.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Please fill out the form below.  If you can't copy and paste, just quote this post and fill out the form in the quote.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Beautiful pearlscale!!!

So, you're probably going to want to fill out the disease form here for the mods to give you specific advice...

But, fwiw, I have a pearlscale that has the same thing. I've tried to research it online. I've found similar questions regarding cause/treatments but no definite answers. Would be excited to see something new here.

Most I have seen say that it is a form of dropsy. I can't deny that but my fish has not died. My fish seems to occasionally get these blisters, they get big then either pop or resorb (I can't tell which). I did have another pearlscale develop dropsy and that looked like dropsy as on any other fish. These blisters seem more like the bubbles on my bubble eyes (and those are filled with lymph). So maybe these are also sacs of lymph that form for unknown reason? Maybe a stress reaction?

My fish is a hot mess. She has little red dots that my best guess are a chronic costia infection (although I have treated for this and there has been no spread to her tankmate) and occasionally gets plaques on her tail which I suspect are carp pox. She also is blind as she had her eyes pecked out by my oranda and her mouth partially collapsed. So I keep her alone in a tank with a small handicapped bubble eye with a heater keeping the water at 74. I also keep the water a little harder than I do for my other tanks. For all of this she is active, eats well and is still a beautiful fish in my eye.

So, hope you get some answers here. The above are just my personal reflections having experienced a similar issue. I'll be following along...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to Kokos and hope your Goldfish feels better.

● Test Results for the Following: * Ammonia Level(Tank) =0
● * Nitrite Level(Tank) =0
● * Nitrate level(Tank) =0
● * Ammonia Level(Tap) =0
● * Nitrite Level(Tap) =0
● * Nitrate level(Tap) =0
● * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) = n/a
● * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) n/a
● Other Required Info:
● * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API
● * Water temperature? Cant tell right now. Thermometer is busted
● * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 30 gallon long pond (w/c is part of a 180 gallong pond ..been running for 11 mos now.
● * What is the name and "size of the filter" d.i.y filter (cotton wools + japanese mats + multiporous rings
● * How often do you change the water and how much? Every 2 wks about 40-50%

● * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 3 days ago..40%
● * How many fish in the tank and their size? 8 fish of different sizes. Large oranda and tamasaba..medium sized oranda crown pearl scale ..etc..
● * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Api stress coat
● * What do you feed your fish and how often? Saki hikari green..azoo freeze dried worms..green peas..sometimes blood worms..feed them 3-5x a day depending on the temperature.
● * Any new fish added to the tank? None
● * Any medications added to the tank? None
● * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. = none
● * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? = blisters as seen in the picture
● * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? ..little less active than usual But still swims..doesny stay too long at top or bottom.

Beautiful pearlscale!!!

So, you're probably going to want to fill out the disease form here for the mods to give you specific advice...

But, fwiw, I have a pearlscale that has the same thing. I've tried to research it online. I've found similar questions regarding cause/treatments but no definite answers. Would be excited to see something new here.

Most I have seen say that it is a form of dropsy. I can't deny that but my fish has not died. My fish seems to occasionally get these blisters, they get big then either pop or resorb (I can't tell which). I did have another pearlscale develop dropsy and that looked like dropsy as on any other fish. These blisters seem more like the bubbles on my bubble eyes (and those are filled with lymph). So maybe these are also sacs of lymph that form for unknown reason? Maybe a stress reaction?

My fish is a hot mess. She has little red dots that my best guess are a chronic costia infection (although I have treated for this and there has been no spread to her tankmate) and occasionally gets plaques on her tail which I suspect are carp pox. She also is blind as she had her eyes pecked out by my oranda and her mouth partially collapsed. So I keep her alone in a tank with a small handicapped bubble eye with a heater keeping the water at 74. I also keep the water a little harder than I do for my other tanks. For all of this she is active, eats well and is still a beautiful fish in my eye.

So, hope you get some answers here. The above are just my personal reflections having experienced a similar issue. I'll be following along...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks butterfly! ur fish went through a lot ..but shes a fighter! I hope this is not dropsy though

Please fill out the form below.  If you can't copy and paste, just quote this post and fill out the form in the quote.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Noted! Thaaanks!

If you can a shot of where the fish lives :) 

Would you explain the relationship between the 30 gallon and the box pond?  I don't see it.  I assumed that the smaller box across the end of the pond box served as a filter, but did you circle it  because the fish lived there?  

A picture may be worth a thousand words, but only if it has some words of explanation. :)

We really need some indication of where you live.  Climate matters a lot when your fish live outdoors.   I don't know what PH means.

Would you explain the relationship between the 30 gallon and the box pond?  I don't see it.  I assumed that the smaller box across the end of the pond box served as a filter, but did you circle it  because the fish lived there?  
A picture may be worth a thousand words, but only if it has some words of explanation.
We really need some indication of where you live.  Climate matters a lot when your fish live outdoors.   I don't know what PH means.

Yes the fish lives there. So the water coming from the main pond is pumped UP into the the filter which is located in the 30 gallon long container.( im sure u can trace the blue pipe.) So the filtered water will flow into the 30 gallon top layer and then fall down into the main pond. The dimension of the 30 gallon is 48x12x12 cm (lxwxh). I made that so i can still put some fish in it. I live in the Philippines. Its a tropical place. We only get rainy and summer season.

Well, welcome!  I don't think we have any other active members from the Philippines.  What  high/low daily temperatures do you have now?

I must say I haven't heard of putting fish in the filter before.  :)  I see no problem with it, except that I think fancy goldfish need a lot of swimming area to encourage exercise, which helps to avoid buoyancy problems.  

Does the fish sit on the bottom much?  This can lead to minor infections on the underside of the fish.  Could you get a picture of the fish that shows the scales on the peduncle, which your thumb covers in the picture?  The fish doesn't have gas bubble disease, and we haven't yet seen clear evidence of dropsy.

Just a curiosity questions:  I see a strip of some material going from the filter to the pond, loaded with algae.  Did you intend this to function as an "algae scrubber"?  I ask because it appears to do so, which would explain your zero nitrate readings.

Hi, welcome to kokos. That is a really interesting setup!

The extra photos Sharon requested should help a lot

2 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Hi, welcome to kokos. That is a really interesting setup!

The extra photos Sharon requested should help a lot

I agree :) 

Hows it going?