Sign in to follow this  
titch

Help! Part 3 (dropsy?)

Its a very personal decision. I know with my first dropsy case it was an old fish and my favourite, and I wasn't able to bring myself to euthanize :( I've done it quite a few times since then though and even though it never gets easier I'm able to detach myself long enough to do it and then lose control of my emotions once it's done.

It's really up to you what you want to do and no one will judge you for what you decide. It's hard to work out how best to make them comfortable. But I think nice clean water with out a lot of current to fight and time to himself so he isn't worried about been pushed around is nice, so I'd definitely keep him in QT

I'm so sorry you are going through this. A lot of my older fish passed over the last 2 years and for almost all of them I ended up having to make the decision to let them go. It's never an easy thing to go through :(

Yes you can finish treating.  You can apply vaseline.  You can move him into the main tank when you are done medicating.

On 2/6/2017 at 4:25 PM, koko said:

As for the Log its more as a Precaution than anything. Trying to elimate the issue :) 

Just for info, I removed the log yesterday during the WC. The only things in the tank now are Piggy (chocolate Oranda), 3 nerites and the FX6 inlet & outlet.

No sign of the Wonder Shells yet, but they have been dispatched.

Titch, how is Dad doing? I read through the whole thread and I'm in tears! I can really tell that you love your fish! You take good care of him! He is lucky to have you as a Fishy Momma! You gave him such a good life! I have never had to euthanize a fish but I did have to make that decision for my doggy Cody about 7 years ago. Honestly the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, and I've been through the ringer in my 44 years. I cry to this day when I think about it. In my heart I knew it was time though and you will too. I'm with you on waiting a piece. Especially if he is still showing happy signs. You never know, a miracle from the fish Gods might come through! Its worth a chance! When and if the time does come though, just remember that he knows you loved him and helped him when he needed you. You should be very proud of that! Keep us posted honey. Ill be praying!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Thanks A-fish-ionado - I definitely have everything crossed for him!

Update following yesterday's WC and final (6th) dose of Epsom & Kanaplex...

Personally, I think he's looking a little less pinecone-like. What do you guys think? Can you see an improvement? Photos were taken last night just before the final dose.

I've circled a dark patch which has come up on his back. Might this be as a result of this area being exposed to the air, or something else? Since Saturday I've been applying Vaseline each time I do the re-dosing (every other day) so he's only had 2 applications (Saturday & Monday), but's it's appeared during this time. Any ideas?

Where do I go from here? Should I keep dosing with Epsom?

Picture1_zpsxpredcii.jpg

IMG_3184_zpsbsandixw.jpg

IMG_3193_zpswfow7yfz.jpg

Alittle but that lump really bothers me... :o 

12 hours ago, koko said:

Alittle but that lump really bothers me... :o 

I know, it used to bother me, but it's been there so long I hardly notice it anymore...it's just part of Dad now. Should've done something about it at the time, but you live & learn. My bad. :hide:

FYI, whilst checking him over last night, I noticed there's a matching dark patch on the other side of his dorsal (see circled image above in post).

Should I continue with the Epsom or stop all treatment and just keep him in nice clean water only?

As an aside, I fed frozen bloodworm last night for the first time. WOW! Went down a treat with everyone! :goldfish:

5 hours ago, titch said:

I know, it used to bother me, but it's been there so long I hardly notice it anymore...it's just part of Dad now. Should've done something about it at the time, but you live & learn. My bad. :hide:

FYI, whilst checking him over last night, I noticed there's a matching dark patch on the other side of his dorsal (see circled image above in post).

Should I continue with the Epsom or stop all treatment and just keep him in nice clean water only?

As an aside, I fed frozen bloodworm last night for the first time. WOW! Went down a treat with everyone! :goldfish:

How long on the Epsom salt hun. We can only do it for so long before it starts to make havoc on the insides of the fish :o Most likely that dark patch is from being out of the water hun :( 

38 minutes ago, koko said:

How long on the Epsom salt hun. We can only do it for so long before it starts to make havoc on the insides of the fish :o Most likely that dark patch is from being out of the water hun :( 

Ah ok, I wasn't sure on the Epsom.

He's had 6 doses (1 @ 1tsp, 5 @ 1/2tsp), started on 3rd Feb, last one was on Monday. It's his WC tonight, and the usual day for dosing (every other day), so wanted to know what I should do.

Let me know what you think.

Relieved about the dark patches. Grateful you don't think it's a complication to his situation. 

As long as you keep it at 1/2 tsp then your okay :)

I just now saw your update! I couldn't get back to the post for some reason...anyway....I do think he looks better! I hope he makes it! I agree with the dark patches being "dry" skin. I've always heard vaseline but I was wondering....we are big on A&D ointment for us two legged peeps but what about our finned friends? Could it be used on them? Its a wonderful salve!

12 hours ago, A-fish-ionado said:

How is your fishy?

Doing much the same to be honest. No improvement but no worse.

He's been acting quite perky recently - he paid great attention to me yesterday while I was carrying out the WC on the main tank (he swam up & down his tub as I kept walking past him). And he's as ravenous as ever!

On 2/15/2017 at 6:27 PM, koko said:

As long as you keep it at 1/2 tsp then your okay :)

Koko - when would you recommend I stop with the Epsom? He's been in QT for 18 days now dosing every 2 days at 1/2tsp (9 doses in total). Is it time to give him a rest from it, or can I continue at this level indefinitely?

4 hours ago, titch said:

Doing much the same to be honest. No improvement but no worse.

He's been acting quite perky recently - he paid great attention to me yesterday while I was carrying out the WC on the main tank (he swam up & down his tub as I kept walking past him). And he's as ravenous as ever!

Koko - when would you recommend I stop with the Epsom? He's been in QT for 18 days now dosing every 2 days at 1/2tsp (9 doses in total). Is it time to give him a rest from it, or can I continue at this level indefinitely?

How is the swelling.... Lets see a photos first hun :) 

No change IMO, but I'll take a picture tonight and load up tomorrow.

Well the fact that he's perky is a good sign! I'm praying for him! Yes! Send pics!

16 hours ago, koko said:

As promised, still lumpy. I've circled the dark patches for you again...still there.

URL=http://s613.photobucket.com/user/titch_ajb/media/Picture1_zps1uzf7ryz.jpg.html]Picture1_zps1uzf7ryz.jpg[/URL]

Picture2_zpsiro0nwvl.jpg

On 2/20/2017 at 0:00 PM, titch said:

On 2/20/2017 at 4:41 PM, koko said:

Any update for me please ref the Epsom? Today is day 21 in QT with 1/2tsp of Epsom dosed every other day (10 doses so far, next dose due tonight, #11). Can I continue or should I stop? Images in post above as requested.

I'd stop the epsom for a few days.  If the swelling remains unchanged then you're probably good to go. 

15 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

I'd stop the epsom for a few days.  If the swelling remains unchanged then you're probably good to go. 

Thank you. I completed his WC last night with clean water only - nothing dosed/added.

Will keep an eye on him over the weekend and update you guys on Monday.

Sounds good!  Fingers crossed :)

Update...with a heavy heart...

I've been monitoring Dad all week. He's been in clean water only, no salt etc since Thursday 23/02. There's been no improvement re. pineconing (worse if anything - they almost looked like blisters for a day, then settled back down) and the lump is still as big as ever. But he's still hand feeding, swimming (on occasion) and taking an interest in me when I'm in the room. 

I think perhaps it's time to say my goodbyes as I don't believe there's any chance of a come-back now and seeing him in this state makes my heart break.

I've watched Helen's video on euth and purchased my clove oil but unfortunately, my bottle does not have a dropper. Could someone let me know how much (in teaspoons or mls) to X litres of water I need to initially put him to sleep and then how much to add to send him off to the big tank in the sky please? 

I've been trying to track down Oxytetracycline this week, as I don't EVER want to be in a position where dropsy rears it's head and I'm helpless again. I contacted AngelsPlus but they said they don't ship to the UK. Is there anywhere else I can purchase either the flakes or powder from or is there a product that contains the Oxy in enough concentration that you would recommend its use for dropsy?

Finally, thank you all for your advice and words of encouragement for Dad. Although I wasn't able to help him recover, it's highly likely that without this forum he would have faced more complications/suffering if I'd have gone it alone. So BIG love to you all and thank you. x

I'm so sorry:( 

I don't know the doses in mls but Im sure someone will be able to help you.

:hug

IM so sorry.  

Im sorry hun. When they get a huge bump like that inside its almost impossible to bring them back. :(