Sign in to follow this  
titch

Help! Part 3 (dropsy?)

5 minutes ago, titch said:

Thanks Koko. I found these too, but they're also in the US with 2-3 week shipping.

Are they an on-going thing and if so how long does a single shell last? There's no point me ordering a single shell only to realise 2 weeks down the line that I need to replace it every month. Are they suitable for all water parameters or used to target specific issues?

I found these but not sure they're the same thing (I just googled mineral blocks) as I think they contain a food supplement also. http://www.aqualibra.uk/product-information According to the website, the ingredients are; 

Nutrition: Typical Average Values mg/100g unless specified. Calcium Sulphate: 77.5gm, Calcium Carbonate: 2000, Crude Protein: 370, Crude Fat: 60, Calcium (Other Bioavailable): 37.9, Vitamin B12: 24, Vitamin C: 21, Fatty Acids: 20, Bicarbonate: 14.8, Vitamin A: 10, Sulphate: 6.85, Sodium: 3, Vitamin E: 1.3, Vitamin D3: 1.3, Magnesium: 1.3, Potassium: 0.15, Chloride: 0.9, Zinc: 0.04, Iron: 0.03, Nitrate: trace <0.0005% + other trace minerals. Contains Spirulina and Aragonite (pure ground coral).

Also, just to let you know I've ordered the API GH & KH test kit. Should be with me tomorrow.

They look to be almost the same. Yes it might be an on going thing hun. I have noticed some fish really need this stuff, depending on the water chem :) 

No!  Not a mineral block.  Those will scum up your water with the additives unless you have animals consuming them, like shrimp and snails.  The buffering/minersl components are similar but the food is a problem.  

The shells are a little different.  I do love wonder shells but buy them in big quantities.  They usually last several weeks in tank as long as you keep them out of high flow areas, but it also depends on your water chemistry.  

Edited by Arctic Mama

I have 3 nerite snails. Does that alter things with regards to the uk version ones?

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

No!  Not a mineral block.  Those will scum up your water with the additives unless you have animals consuming them, like shrimp and snails.  The buffering/minersl components are similar but the food is a problem.  

The shells are a little different.  I do love wonder shells but buy them in big quantities.  They usually last several weeks in tank as long as you keep them out of high flow areas, but it also depends on your water chemistry.  

thank you hun. I wasn't quit sure about those. I know Wonder Shells are great.  I usually buy a box at a time :thumb: 

21 minutes ago, koko said:

thank you hun. I wasn't quit sure about those. I know Wonder Shells are great.  I usually buy a box at a time :thumb: 

22 minutes ago, titch said:

I have 3 nerite snails. Does that alter things with regards to the uk version ones?

Is that a no then I take it? :no:

2 hours ago, titch said:

Is that a no then I take it? :no:

I would just order a box of the Wondershells hun :) 

You could try it with the nerites but I'd still be worried about fouling the water more than helping it.  It might be worth a shot, watching your nitrate and ammonia levels, when the fish are back in good health though!

We know wonder shells work but I don't know about the mineral blocks and can't recommend them at this time.  You could totally be our Guinea pig for trying them out though :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

So they're suitable for all water parameters? No exceptions?

2 hours ago, titch said:

So they're suitable for all water parameters? No exceptions?

The Wonder Shells? yes :) 

Wonder Shells are on order. There were only 5 in stock (large size) so I ordered all of them.

Estimated delivery time is anything from 15th Feb to 3rd March though. They're coming from Oregon. 

Tick tock tick tock.....

Why can't the UK sell any of the good stuff?! :mad:

6 hours ago, titch said:

Wonder Shells are on order. There were only 5 in stock (large size) so I ordered all of them.

Estimated delivery time is anything from 15th Feb to 3rd March though. They're coming from Oregon. 

Tick tock tick tock.....

Why can't the UK sell any of the good stuff?! :mad:

Dang... Coming from my area... I might have been able to ship faster than them :rofl 

32 minutes ago, koko said:

Dang... Coming from my area... I might have been able to ship faster than them :rofl 

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!! :teehee

4 minutes ago, titch said:

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!! :teehee

yeah Im in Oregon :o:lol 

Update:

Dad has had 3 doses of Epsom (1 of 1tsp...ooops... and 2 of 1/2tsp) and Kanaplex. His 4th will be tonight.

I'm not seeing any improvement, but then again I don't know if I should see anything yet? He's still pineconing and is very much floating. He's still feeding and is hungry as ever, but struggles to get down for sinking pellets but manages with a bit of effort. When I feed Repashy, he's happy to take it from my hand.

I've taken a short video of him (and realise I'm pretty crap at vids, so apologies).

Because he's floating, his back/dorsal are out of the water. I think I read somewhere that vaseline could be used on the exposed area. Is that right or have I made it up? Would you recommend I apply some (if so, can I do it with my fingers or should I use a cotton swab thing)? Then again, could the 'floating' be as a result of the depth of the tub and I've mis-read it as floating?

**Not sure if the video link works for you guys - can you let me know please?**

IMG_3128_zpspvncnxtq.jpg

th_IMG_3132_zpsf85das8h.mp4

Edited by titch

I'm sorry to say this, but the latest picture indicates to me that Dad has a combination of an internal tumor or abscess and dropsy.  Even with the best medicine available, I believe he has no chance of survival.  You can euthanize or just  do your best to keep him comfortable until he passes.  

Oh that last video makes me sad. Sharon is right, once they get to this point its almost hopeless hun. 

Im sorry hun :hug

How are the others?

:(

Will he be in pain?

Just now, titch said:

:(

Will he be in pain?

euthanizing? No no pain at all, he just goes to a sleep like at the Dentist office :) 

IM so sorry to hear about your Goldfish.  :hug

1 hour ago, koko said:

euthanizing? No no pain at all, he just goes to a sleep like at the Dentist office :) 

Sorry, no I mean is the dropsy causing him pain?

I've been reading other dropsy topics and in some cases it was recommended to increase the temperature. Should I have done this?

24 minutes ago, titch said:

Sorry, no I mean is the dropsy causing him pain?

I've been reading other dropsy topics and in some cases it was recommended to increase the temperature. Should I have done this?

With this fish I don't think it would have made any difference hun. Sometimes will ask to raise the temp and others times don't especially if the temp is close to 78-80F any way :) 

It can cause pain if the fish can't relax  or get to the food. Of course we don't know how fish feel pain or if they feel pain like us. :( 

Fish in pain may lay on the bottom, clamp their fins, hide in a corner, or lose interest in eating.  If the fish behaves normally it feels OK.

No, dosing differences or temp wouldn't have helped in this case.  I agree with the others.  He just isn't bouncing back from this despite a wonderful try on your part.  You gave him his best shot.

I'm so sorry :( I hate Dropsy

21 hours ago, shakaho said:

Even with the best medicine available, I believe he has no chance of survival.  You can euthanize or just  do your best to keep him comfortable until he passes.  

18 hours ago, koko said:

Oh that last video makes me sad. Sharon is right, once they get to this point its almost hopeless hun. 

4 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

I agree with the others.  He just isn't bouncing back from this despite a wonderful try on your part.  You gave him his best shot.

Looks like it's unanimous then.

It's not something I'm particularly comfortable about - he's still seems happy(ish), is feeding well and always comes to greet me. I know he's poorly and his quality of life in a tub is not what he deserves or wants but... 

I'm probably clutching at straws here, but can I finish his Epsom/Kanaplex treatment (2 more doses to go until the 2 weeks is over) and see if there's any change? How can I make him more comfortable? Can I apply vaseline to the exposed ares on his back/dorsal? Should he remain isolated in QT until the end?

He's been a long-term friend and it's a decision I don't want to make rashly :(