Best tropical fish for planted aquarium

itsumo

I'm planning to set up a planted aquarium, likely in 30 gallon tank, which tropical fish would you recommend as the best combination? We live in subtropical Queensland so water temp will be 26-28 degrees, with water heater in cooler months. 

I previously had goldfish, but in a bare tank, so no experience of planted tanks. 

Thanks for reading :)

• Supporter

Well I think we need to know more about what you are looking for to really give you a good answer. Do you want a few larger tropicals or several small ones? Or you want a lot of verity of color or like a uniform look?

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

I think I would prefer several smaller fish, and preferably not fish that will breed.. I basically want the opposite of the planted goldfish tank I once in my innocence had, that took the whole day to set up and took the goldfish all of five minutes to destroy :)

I've always loved Betta fish, I was thinking perhaps one Betta with a half dozen other fish? 

• Admin
3 hours ago, Daniel E. said:

^they are but may be eaten by the betta. Just depends on the betta really.

Bamboo shrimps hun :)

• Admin
31 minutes ago, Daniel E. said:

Bamboo or vampire shrimp would be ok. I was thinking of cherry or glass shrimp initially and those could be killed by a betta. I know mine where lol

So true hun.. I just love Bamboo Shrimps :)

Hello. I have a 55 gallon tropical tank. I have 2 Marbled Angelfish, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 2 Pearl Gouramis, 4 Emerald Green Corys, 2 Pictus Catfish, 1 Super Red Bristlenose Pleco and 1 Mega Clown Pleco. Everyone gets along fine.

• Admin
56 minutes ago, DawnMichele said:

Hello. I have a 55 gallon tropical tank. I have 2 Marbled Angelfish, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 2 Pearl Gouramis, 4 Emerald Green Corys, 2 Pictus Catfish, 1 Super Red Bristlenose Pleco and 1 Mega Clown Pleco. Everyone gets along fine.

But my dear this is a 30 gallon tank :P

Hi @itsumo, good to see another Aussie. Are you on Facebook? If you are, look up the Liverpool Creek Aquariums Auction page and request to join. Jeff the owner can get a lot of livestock not commonly available through fish stores here if you PM him. He's a pleasure to deal with and prices are excellent. You can also contact him through his website (same name - Liverpool Creek Aquariums), but he tends to do deals on FB.

For a 30 gallon, I'd look at several smaller schooling fish. Ember tetras, neons, green neons, most rasbora, are all suitable really. Rice fish are quite nice too. If you go the betta route, probably best to avoid the smaller rasbora species. As for shrimp, steer clear of bamboo shrimp. They're awesome, but quite expensive here. Native rifle shrimp are comparable, but can be hard to find. If you want shrimp, Darwin or Queensland Algae Shrimp are wonderful; these are essentially Australia's Amano shrimp. They are large enough to not be eaten by most smaller schooling fish. The only downside is they jump. Up north in the wild they puddle hop in the wet season. Unfortunately it doesn't translate well to an aquarium. A good lid is definitely preferable, although they can be kept successfully without one.

Edited by Daniel