Sign in to follow this  
Fish Of Gold

Something is wrong with Dreamsicle! Growths?

1 hour ago, Fish Of Gold said:

I already have this on hand, http://www.thatpetplace.com/metro-plus-medication-3oz  Or do I need to get the Seachem MetroPlex to use instead of this?

Can you answer this question, if I can use the Metro+ I have, Or does it have to be MetroPlex.

Just saw the one you linked - that looks good, but I'm not sure of the dosage instructions and can't see them on the label.  Could you take a picture and post so I can be sure we get the right strength in tank?

Edited by Arctic Mama

8 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Just saw the one you linked - that looks good, but I'm not sure of the dosage instructions and can't see them on the label.  Could you take a picture and post so I can be sure we get the right strength in tank?

Package Size 3.5 oz.
Form Powder
Treatment For Head & Lateral Line Erosion
Treats up to

100 gal

As A Bath: As a bath treatment for external metronidazole-susceptible, microbial diseases of marine and freshwater aquarium and pond fishes (e.g. hole-in-the-head and lateral line), use 1 capful (~9.7g) per 10 gallons of water. A partial or complete water change should be made just prior to beginning treatment and every 24 hours thereafter, followed by re-treatment. Any water used should first be conditioned with ULTIMATE or a combination of Liquid Buffered ClorAm-X and Stress-X to remove ammonia, chlorine and chloramines. Repeat the treatment every 24 hours for 5 to 7 days or until mortalities cease or healing of leasions occurs. If improvement is not noted within three (3) days, discontinue treatment and consider other therapy. Oral Treatment For Fish: For systemic (internal) infections, Metro+ can be fed mixed with fish food.

Metro+ Medication is a highly effective and safe treatment for Hole-in-the-Head and Head and Lateral Line Erosion, targeting infected areas and replenishing the natural slime coat on the body of the fish to aid in recovery. Metronidazole is the active ingredient, and the powder medication may be used as a bath or as an additive to food for internal treatment.

Ingredients: Metronidazole (2-methyl-5-nitroimidazole-1-ethanol) (active ingredient); sodium cloride, synthetic polymers and a chelating agent

Okay that will do, except for the longer duration (14 days).  You're going to need one of the gram negatives too but you can begin the metro before one of those arrives.

7 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Okay that will do, except for the longer duration (14 days).  You're going to need one of the gram negatives too but you can begin the metro before one of those arrives.

Ok, I sent in my order for the meds this morning. I'll start the Metro+ today after his daily water change, Thank you to both of you for helping me so far! :) 

Ok I need help again, I'm in the middle of a water change right now and need to know if I'm supposed to change 100% of the water or can it be a 50% change? I've been doing 50% when I was just adding salt, but now that I add salt and the Metro+ is it 100%? The instructions just say "A partial or complete water change should be made just prior to beginning treatment and every 24 hours thereafter, followed by re-treatment." It doesn't say full or partial WC after adding the meds just says WC every 24 hours. Also If I'm allowed 50% change then do I add half the dose or do I still add a full dose? Full dose is one capful for every 10 gallons.

Oh and another thing is that Dreamsicle is now laying on the bottom of the tank barely wanting to move today. Up until I added the Metro+ to his QT tank he has been active but now he's bottom sitting. Is he doing that because of the meds? When I was just adding the Epsom salt he would be very active chasing the siphon hose around the whole time during water changes, now he just pretty much just sits there in the corner on the bottom by the air stone.  

Edited by Fish Of Gold

22 minutes ago, Fish Of Gold said:

Ok I need help again, I'm in the middle of a water change right now and need to know if I'm supposed to change 100% of the water or can it be a 50% change? I've been doing 50% when I was just adding salt, but now that I add salt and the Metro+ is it 100%? The instructions just say "A partial or complete water change should be made just prior to beginning treatment and every 24 hours thereafter, followed by re-treatment." It doesn't say full or partial WC after adding the meds just says WC every 24 hours. Also If I'm allowed 50% change then do I add half the dose or do I still add a full dose? Full dose is one capful for every 10 gallons.

Oh and another thing is that Dreamsicle is now laying on the bottom of the tank barely wanting to move today. Up until I added the Metro+ to his QT tank he has been active but now he's bottom sitting. Is he doing that because of the meds? When I was just adding the Epsom salt he would be very active chasing the siphon hose around the whole time during water changes, now he just pretty much just sits there in the corner on the bottom by the air stone.  

From what I have read. Do a water change you can do 50 or 100 if you want and then re dose again as after 8 hours or more its in active. :)

Thank you so much! I appreciate your help :thanks

3 minutes ago, Fish Of Gold said:

Thank you so much! I appreciate your help :thanks

:thumbup2:

The Kanaplex came in the mail today so I will add that with the Metro+ after the water change today. Am I supposed to do the Kanaplex for 2 weeks too? The instructions say to use a maximum of 3 doses of Kanaplex so that would be like 1 week of Kanaplex added every other day. I'll still be doing a WC every day for the Metro+ so will that effect the Kanaplex, because I need to add the Kanaplex every other day and the water is being changed in between?

UPDATE pics:

102_9248.JPG

102_9250.JPG

102_9251.JPG

I do not endorse partial water changes, I think they make dosing difficult to predict.  With the oxy and kanaplex please do 100% changes every day OR every other day but use prime in between to control ammonia.  Redose both at 100% when you do the water change - you're trying to maintain a strength of solution in the water, so redosing when the water is changed hurts nothing.  You will indeed do the kanaplex for two weeks as well so you will have a few days where you does just that when the metro concludes.  But basically this schedule just uses more medication to maintain better water, it doesn't change the dose size or efficacy.

Make sense?

There are now 4 white tiny bumps forming on the bottom left side of Dreamsicle's tail, plus there is some red streaking in the middle of his tail fins today as well. You can see them on his tail on the left side of the picture. Dreamsicle's tail bumps 2.JPG

Plus the bottom of the second picture, you can see 2 bumps are at the very edge of his tail making the bump stick up so the edge is not smooth anymore and red streaks in the middle and side of his fin. I ran out of Metro+ and had ordered MetroPlex and added that today along with the Kanaplex and Epsom Salt after the complete water change.

http://Dreamsicles tail bumps 2 2.jpg

My internet has been down the past couple of days until late this afternoon, I thought someone might have made a comment about Dreamsicle's white spots on his tail. Can someone PLEASE help me out? Now Dreamsicle's head is a pinkish color instead of orange and it has a thin white film over it, the spots are still on his tail, no better but no worse, plus he leans slightly to the left side now whether resting or swimming. The patch on his back looks a bit smaller and more of a regular darker orange but still discolored and raised a little. 102_9352.JPG102_9357.JPG

You can't do anything about the bumps, they're usually bacterial or viral.  The white film is slime coat.  Give us a summary of the treatment thus far and I can troubleshoot.  

Truth be told, I'm just not on much right now with five older kids and a brain damaged newborn - I can barely keep meals going let alone school, laundry, cleaning, medical appointments, AND voluntary fish forum stuff.  If someone hasn't stopped by in 48 hours just report your newest post and ask for assistance okay?  We aren't purposely ignoring you.

Doing daily water changes, I added his last dose of Metroplex today making it 2 weeks now, and his 2 weeks of Kanaplex will be finished on Feb. 4th. Still adding Epsom salt and keeping temp at 78 F.

13 minutes ago, Fish Of Gold said:

Doing daily water changes, I added his last dose of Metroplex today making it 2 weeks now, and his 2 weeks of Kanaplex will be finished on Feb. 4th. Still adding Epsom salt and keeping temp at 78 F.

I havent been ignoring you hun, been waiting to see how he is doing.

I would suggest to keep doing the Kana till your finished :) and the epsom salt. Keep us posted though :)

Hmmm. I'd be expecting the slime coat if there was salt in, so something may be irritating him. At this point in treatment I'd expect more recovery than we are seeing though.   Several days of just clean water and no Epsom once the Kanaplex is done should help us see where he is at.  Some pictures and a detailed description of his behavior and which symptoms have resolved at that point will be helpful, but it's hard to tell right now.  

Four days post kanaplex is a good check in date - poke us when you hit it okay?

23 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Hmmm. I'd be expecting the slime coat if there was salt in, so something may be irritating him. At this point in treatment I'd expect more recovery than we are seeing though.   Several days of just clean water and no Epsom once the Kanaplex is done should help us see where he is at.  Some pictures and a detailed description of his behavior and which symptoms have resolved at that point will be helpful, but it's hard to tell right now.  

Four days post kanaplex is a good check in date - poke us when you hit it okay?

Ok, I'll check back in with updates at that time :) 

:thumbup2:

Best Wishes for Dreamsicle and you, too. 

sadhug.gif

UPDATE: The medications were last added on February 4th, and since then I added no more meds or any salt, just clean water every day, Seems that the white cloudy slime coat is a lot less than before, and the raised spot on his back is a lot smaller, but not gone yet, and more of it's regular color again. He is still active unless the tank lights are on, then he bottom sits for hours until I turn the lights out and just natural daylight shines in, and then he becomes very active. He still has a good appetite as usual, and his poop is normal.  Only thing not looking right are his fins, they have black streaks in every one of his fins now, but mostly in his tail.

102_9399.JPG

102_9401.JPG

Edited by Fish Of Gold

Oh and his left eye still seems a bit puffy.

He looks good.  The black indicates healing, it's a phenomenon called melanophore migration and will resolve on its own.  The eye is just watch for now.  No more medications at this time unless his behavior is off or one of the factors you are watching worsens, then we will help again.