Help! Strange white "worms" in planted cherry shrimp tank

WillowBaby

I have a 15 gallon  planted tank that's been set up for several months now. It has maybe two dozen cherry shrimp and 10 MTS. Today I've noticed and the glass hundreds of little clearish white wormy things squirming around. I don't know what they are, but I want them gone.

Video of the little buggers! 

Do you know where they are?  How do I get rid of them without harming the shrimp or the snails? 

IMG_1064.JPG

11 hours ago, fantailfan1 said:

Hmmm not sure.   Let me try and get someone's attention that I think could help you. :)

Thank you! 

I have done some research and I believe they are planaria. Which are very bad for my cherry shrimp. I found that using fenbendazole,  found in dog dewormer will kill them and it is shrimp snail and other fauna safe. 

The method

But any other information so it can give me would be much appreciated. Especially if my identification is wrong. 

1 hour ago, fantailfan1 said:

I think everything that is white and wiggly looks like planaria that's why I wanted shakaho to take a look. :rofl

Good luck getting rid of them. :D

2 hours ago, shakaho said:

They do look like flatworms.  Fenbendazole should kill them.  Praziquantel should also work.  

Thank you!

I just got Fenbendazole.... and will be dosing my tank, as soon as I figure out the dosage. 

• Admin
On 1/8/2017 at 7:59 AM, fantailfan1 said:

I think everything that is white and wiggly looks like planaria that's why I wanted shakaho to take a look. :rofl

Good luck getting rid of them. :D

:rofl

After  two doses of .1 g 48 hours apart and another dose of .15 grams 24 hours, after the second dose. After all this, I can still see several pesky worms moving around on the glass.   Before the third dose I moved all of the shrimp and what MTS I could find into my spare 2 1/2 gallon. This morning I woke up to about seven dead shrimp of varying ages from big old red ones tosmall ones barely painted with red.   Most of those that were still living were found crowded and the glass near the top. I just did about a 50% water change and so far so good.

Any thoughts? I am a little nervous because my family and I are going away for the weekend and I am a little concerned about what may happen in my absence. 

Do I need to dismantle my tank and start over or is there something else I can try?

Edited by WillowBaby

• Admin
49 minutes ago, WillowBaby said:

After  two doses of .1 g 48 hours apart and another dose of .15 grams 24 hours, after the second dose. After all this, I can still see several pesky worms moving around on the glass.   Before the third dose I moved all of the shrimp and what MTS I could find into my spare 2 1/2 gallon. This morning I woke up to about seven dead shrimp of varying ages from big old red ones tosmall ones barely painted with red.   Most of those that were still living were found crowded and the glass near the top. I just did about a 50% water change and so far so good.

Any thoughts? I am a little nervous because my family and I are going away for the weekend and I am a little concerned about what may happen in my absence. 

Do I need to dismantle my tank and start over or is there something else I can try?

You could if you wanted to.. clean out the tank but no the filter...

Take the gravel/sand out and rinse it well. you could even soak the sand/gravel in salt water for a few ours. That will kill those worms. Then you could rinse it good and but it back in the tank :)