Sign in to follow this  
Buttercup

Help with sick baby oranda.

Here's the oranda that won't eat.

a96038be7a3ac242be7ffec8781e3b16.jpgec1823582c503539c5a59ae06ed8517c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry about your orandas. You're in good hands, and if there's anything that can be done, it will be. Good luck!

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Sorry about your orandas. You're in good hands, and if there's anything that can be done, it will be. Good luck!

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Thanks. I just wish I would've had all the meds on hand. I think treatment would be going much better. As it is I agree, I think they are in good hands here.

You should keep the fish at the temperature it has become accustomed to (71)?  If you think that a higher temperature may speed the treatment, you may have a point.  Just slowly raise the temperature to 75.

The little red and white oranda looks both thin and like she has a bloated belly.  Will you gently squeeze that belly and  tell us if it feels soft or firm?

His belly fills very soft. What does that indicate?

Update on the white baby that pineconed.. she was hovering on the bottom and her scales were sticking out even worse. She looked so pitiful. I purchased clove oil at the pharmacy earlier and just put her down :(.

I moved the red and white oranda (Sheldon) to the qt tank. He was bottom sitting when I got home from work. I checked the shipping status of the med and it's supposed to arrive anytime tonight. He still won't eat. I dosed general cure because it has metro and prazi. Should I add PraziPro?

Edited by Buttercup

I wouldn't add prazipro at this time.  What meds are you waiting for?  Metro flakes?  :idont

Do you have a locally owned pet store that carries metronidazole powder (MetroPlex by Seachem)?  I'm guessing probably not?  Can you please tell me the dosage of metro in the general cure?

So sorry about your white baby.  :hug

Also do you know the gender of Sheldon?  I'm starting to think perhaps he's a she and she's eggy . . . that would explain the white poop and the bloated belly, along with not eating.

She's not very old, her body is not even 2 inches long. could it be??! I don't have a clue about his/her gender.

I'm waiting on the metroplex. I paid for expedited shipping and it still hasn't arrived. The flakes won't do much good for him, he won't eat a thing.

The concentration of metronidazole is 250 mg and it also has 75mg of praziquantel.

This fish has me so baffled. Not a single sign of disease. Not even bottom sitting tonight since moving him to the qt tank. He's swimming around and seems fine. The sad part is that when the white oranda started bottom sitting he went down and stayed with her. He was there when I left for work and there when I came back. Since removing her he stopped bottom sitting.

I was hoping to get some feedback on the new situation with my red and white oranda. At this point I don't even know if he should even be in a qt tank with epsom salt and meds. Just wish I knew what to do.

Apparently there is an availability issue with metroplex. Amazon is contacting today regarding my order. The kanaplex is arriving today. No change with Sheldon. Bottom sitting now. Upright with no swimming issues. Still uninterested in food.

Once the metroplex arrives, I'd like you to start using that along with API triple sulfa.  I've seen triple sulfa at big box stores such as Petsmart.  Do you have one near you?  If so, I'd give them a call.  Discontinue the General Cure once you start the other meds.  

Have you seen any poop from him/her recently?

And, yes, even though they seem so small and young, if she's a she, it could be eggs.

Edit:  You posted while I was typing.  I didn't realize you also had Kanaplex coming.  Forget about the triple sulfa.  You can use the metro and Kana.  :D  Have you checked other sources for the metroplex?

Edited by fantailfan1

No, no poop. There's a Petsmart in an adjoining town, I'll pick up triple sulfa.

If it's eggs, when should she resume eating?

I just called the nearest Petsmart and they do not have triple sulfa. He said they have erythromycin and tetracycline. We are expecting inclement weather this afternoon or I'd drive farther. Will the kanaplex help?

Edited by Buttercup

Yes, the kanaplex and metro will be fine.  :D

Edit: You posted while I was typing. I didn't realize you also had Kanaplex coming. Forget about the triple sulfa. You can use the metro and Kana. :D Have you checked other sources for the metroplex?

There are other sellers on amazon, but it will be a week before they could get it to me. Hopefully amazon can get this worked out. I received the oxytetracycline flakes today, but again...fish won't eat. I'm going to have a heck of a fishy medicine cabinet when everything gets here. I just hope it's not too late to help little Sheldon, or Shelly . I'm so attached to this fish.

Could you make a paste out of the flakes and feed him/her with a syringe?  I did this with medicated pellets and after a few days the fish was well enough to eat on her own.  Helen made a video on how to do this.  Let me see if I can find it . . . 

Edit:  Here ya go.  Watch the video and see what you think.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121239-demonstration-of-preparing-and-feeding-syringe-food-to-a-goldfish/?hl=%2Bsyringe+%2Bfeed

Edited by fantailfan1

Oh my goodness!!! What on earth is this trailing from her? I just got home and found saw this. I'm noticing the beginnings of pineconing .

504cc819bae188f76a417933d6ac264a.jpg

Edited by Buttercup

That could very well be resorbed eggs and we want her to expel them so that  is actually a good sign . . .  Do you have any Epsom salt in her tank?

Yes. The recommended 1/2 tsp. I could add more.

I'm really hoping that her scales look a little raised because she's lost so much weight. It's hardly noticeable, so maybe it isn't dropsy.

Edited by Buttercup

19 hours ago, fantailfan1 said:

Could you make a paste out of the flakes and feed him/her with a syringe?  I did this with medicated pellets and after a few days the fish was well enough to eat on her own.  Helen made a video on how to do this.  Let me see if I can find it . . . 

Edit:  Here ya go.  Watch the video and see what you think.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121239-demonstration-of-preparing-and-feeding-syringe-food-to-a-goldfish/?hl=%2Bsyringe+%2Bfeed

Thank you for the video. 

We had around 5" of snow last night, which in many parts of the country would be considered insignificant, however here in the south constitutes a blizzard. So I'm pretty sure I will not receive my shipment of metro and kanaplex. Honestly the fish looks really well this morning. I added a tad bit more salt and a tiny dose of prazipro before bed. No raised scales at all this morning. She is out and about, swimming with no issues. She continues to refuse to eat a bite and is still showing no interest in the myriads of foods I've passed by her nose. I'm searching for a syringe, but I don't think I own one. I hope she pulls through whatever's going on. 

Keep us posted.  You're doing all you can for her now.  Glad to hear she's looking better, now if she'd just eat. :teehee

I'm trying my best not to get too excited, but.....SHE ATE!! I couldn't believe it! I didn't have a syringe, but I went ahead and made a paste, lifted her just above the water and put some food on her mouth. I lowered her down and she started acting like she was searching for food. I put some repashy and a few pellets in and she nibbled and chewed, spit some out, and kept coming back to it. Not sure how much she actually ingested, but she's wandering around the tank acting very normal now. I plan to keep her in the qt tank, and hopefully she'll resume eating like normal soon. She's at the front of the tank begging!!

Thanks so much for all the help! Hopefully I'll get to follow up with a success story :)

Glad she ate!!!! :redbanana:

Great news!

She eagerly ate her entire breakfast and followed it up with a few bites of peas. Haven't seen poop yet though...