setting up a planted betta tank

Emily McLaughlin

Hi all,

It has been forever it feels like since I last had fish, and I kept a single 10 gallon tank from my fish keeping days. I am wanting to set this up as a planted betta tank. I do have a few questions though and thought I'd ask here since this is the betta specific section.

First, what type of substrate should I count on for a planted betta tank? Should I go with sand or gravel or what type of substrate?

Second, with the tank being only 10 gallons, do you all have a recommended filter to use on the tank that wouldn't be too strong for a betta in that size of tank?

Lastly, what plants would you recommend? Should I  do low light, medium light or high light with the tank? Like I said, it has been way too long since I last kept fish and I've never done a real planted tank before but I would love to. I think a betta would probably love a planted tank. Thank you for any help.

• Admin

Hi all,

It has been forever it feels like since I last had fish, and I kept a single 10 gallon tank from my fish keeping days. I am wanting to set this up as a planted betta tank. I do have a few questions though and thought I'd ask here since this is the betta specific section.

:hi and :welcome

First, what type of substrate should I count on for a planted betta tank? Should I go with sand or gravel or what type of substrate?

If it was me I would use Sand. :) Betta's seem to like it better :)

Second, with the tank being only 10 gallons, do you all have a recommended filter to use on the tank that wouldn't be too strong for a betta in that size of tank?

I would go with the AC Filter 10. Then you can always put a baffle on it if its to strong :)

Lastly, what plants would you recommend? Should I  do low light, medium light or high light with the tank? Like I said, it has been way too long since I last kept fish and I've never done a real planted tank before but I would love to. I think a betta would probably love a planted tank. Thank you for any help.

Betta's love planted tanks. you can go with plants like Anubias, Java ferns.... There are a few threads here that show you planted betta tanks :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/125605-a-little-video-i-made/

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/125330-finally-a-betta-again/

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/124749-hes-finally-moved-in-to-his-new-home/

Just a few ideas for ya :)

• Supporter

As far as baffling the filter goes I think this is a pretty slick idea.

I am experimenting with using java moss as a baffle right now and it is working okay.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :thumb:

1. 17 gal ada tank.

2. Sun sun canister filter with flow control.

4. I used Jardli Lilly pipe with jet outflow. ( all other Lilly pipes didn't work for me they were too noisy)

5. Finnex led light.

6. Pressurized 20oz co2 tank with co2 reactor. (Don't waste your money on those silly ceramic diffusers.

7. I used caribsea eco complete for substrate. I used to have ada soil in my other tank and that was nice too!

8. I started with six dwarf hairgrass from Petsmart. They don't have any snails.

9. I think I have Alternanthera reineckii in the back that I got from pet smart. ( I forgot lol)

10. I dose using seachem flourish and seachem iron. I use EI method and do nearly 50% water change once per week.

11. Almost for forgot the hydra external heater.

Most important don't be cheap from the beginning cause it will cost you more in the end! Also take your time and don't over think your tank! It's supposed to be a fun learning process not a frustrating one.

Good luck! [emoji106]

7007dd24b88d644960b0c620b31ce089.jpg612a3a765b5ee22901affddb36061996.jpg4551053aaf7a7112e7e9f3f291640155.jpgf6a67a42ab32ff0ec82a9d232c585267.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk