Sign in to follow this  
fishy

unexpected death, have pellet feeding questions

Hi, I'm hoping for a possible answer for my question. If a betta normally eats the presoaked pellets from the top of the tank, will he eat them from the bottom of the tank if they sink to the bottom? If the answer is yes, would it be possible that he wouldn't eat them from the bottom because he had an undetected illness? I ask because I got home from vacation late Monday night & my one betta was dead at the bottom of the tank. Very very sad. I had my pet sitter feed him 3 NLS betta pellets every other day (2 feedings total) and I was going to feed him the night I returned home. There were 6 pellets at the bottom of the tank. Jackpot, 18 month male, was housed in a 5.5 gallon filtered 78° aquarium x 18 months. Weekly 1 gallon water changes with siphoning. Water parameters were weekly consistent of: ph 7, nitrates 5, ammonia & nitrites 0. About 3 weeks prior, I thought he may have been thinner than I recalled but I can't be 100% sure. He always ate his pellets for me and my husband when I was out of town a month ago. My pet sitter has cared for my fish a good amount of times before without incident. He said jackpot came up during feeding times but I am bothered by the pellets at the bottom. I am hoping that a betta will find food at the bottom, if he didn't that leads me to believe he had an underlying issue. If a healthy betta will not eat from the bottom then that leads me to believe he starved to death. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

I'm sorry for your loss.

Were those water parameters from after your betta died? Uneaten food can cause spikes which can make the fish sick.

Some bettas will eat from the bottom, but some won't. Once the food touches the gravel, none of mine will touch it, even if they chased it all the way down! If your betta was eating before you left, I think it's unlikely that he starved to death. Bettas can go a week without eating.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Sorry for your loss.

Thanks you for the response, the parameters were before he died. I kind of figured testing when I got home would've been inaccurate. I know jackpot ate a pellet or 2 from the bottom before but more often he wouldn't touch them at the bottom. From all I've read , bettas can definitely go a bit without eating and he always ate very well prior. Thank you for the insite, I'm leaning toward an illness rather than starving.

My remaining Red Betta will chase and eat off the bottom,I keep my tanks bare bottom,he also eats from the top :)

Sorry for your loss :(

Sorry for your loss :( I'd say there was some underlying illness. It's too quick for him to have starved

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the supportive words and advice :)