Sign in to follow this  
titch

Help! part 2

Poor fish! Good luck with treatment :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

2 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Poor fish! Good luck with treatment :)

Thank you. Just need to know what treatment is best.

Seems completely normal in himself, albeit a bit bored on his own. :goldfish:

I would like you to start the Metro+ then I would like you to start the next day the Kanaplex.

This fish is in a QT right, just trying to remember :)

1 hour ago, koko said:

I would like you to start the Metro+ then I would like you to start the next day the Kanaplex.

This fish is in a QT right, just trying to remember :)

Hi Koko. 

Yes, he's in QT. I have metro+ but the Kanaplex is on order from the US and not likely to be here for a couple of weeks. 

Is there anything I can do in the meantime?

You can use Triple Sulfa in place of the Kanaplex.

On 1/18/2017 at 5:04 PM, koko said:

On 1/19/2017 at 11:10 PM, shakaho said:

You can use Triple Sulfa in place of the Kanaplex.

OK, I'm back. My meds have arrived today.

I've not been treating with anything up until now, just 100% daily WC (bucket-to-bucket).

I have Metroplex, Kanaplex, Sulfaplex, Focus, Furan-2 and Triple Sulfa.

Do you still want me to go down the Metroplex/Kanaplex route? If so, how should I dose and for how long?

The packets say..

Metroplex - use 1-2 measures for every 40L. Repeat every 2 days for up to 3 weeks or until symptoms disappear.

Kanaplex - use 1 level measure to every 20L. Repeat every 2 days until symptoms disappear or up to a maximum of 3 doses.

Neither says anything about water changes and how to re-dose after a WC.

Note: Winston is in QT of 40 litres with an airstone. No plants.

I've asked the moderating team to recommend the ideal combination of medications.  

2 minutes ago, shakaho said:

I've asked the moderating team to recommend the ideal combination of medications.  

Fab, thank you.

The only recommendation I've received says to use metro and kanaplex.  Use the recommended initial dosage of each.  When you do a water change, dose the new water as you did the tank water initially, keeping the concentration of the drugs constant.  The strange instructions on many medications suggest they assume you are treating the main tank rather than a hospital tank that needs regular water changes. 

Keep testing your water to make sure ammonia and nitrite stay low enough to  be handled by Prime, changing water as needed.

Thank you for the update!!

Should i stagger the start of the meds as Koko suggested (Metroplex today, Kanaplex tomorrow), or both at the same time? If I start them at the same time, I could carry out a WC every 2 days & redose as per the packet instructions which says every 2 days for both Metro & Kana.

How long should I dose for? Metroplex says 3 weeks or until symptoms disappear. Kanaplex says max 3 doses. Sorry for being thick. Soooo confused. 

Do them together.  Kanaplex can cause kidney damage with excessive treatment.  I note that Seachem recommends a one week break from kanaplex after a week of treatment, so you might try that.  Let's wait until we see how the fish looks after the first week of treatment.

Update on Winston...

He had his 3rd dose of Metroplex & Kanaplex last night (dosed on Sunday, Tuesday & Thursday), so potentially his last dose of Kanaplex (following Seachem's guidelines).

Photographs were taken this morning. His tail is looking a LOT better. There is some redness and lumps on the leading edge of his left pectoral fin (no photo I'm afraid), redness on his wen and side (see images).

Shall I continue with the Metroplex only and resume Kanaplex in a week or so if needs be?

IMG_3093_zpsqfx6z6mv.jpg

IMG_3098_zpsoyebih7m.jpg

IMG_3106a_zpskwdqy0ab.jpg

IMG_3112_zpsxjblqckf.jpg

No, keep both meds going a full two weeks please :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

8 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

No, keep both meds going a full two weeks please :)

I do believe hun the Metro was done first and the Kana is almost over.

Shall I continue with the Metroplex only and resume Kanaplex in a week or so if needs be?

I dont think we can do the Kana again?

52 minutes ago, koko said:

I started both Metroplex & Kanaplex on Sunday. Last night was 3rd dose of both. 

Kana packet says max 3 doses. 

On 27 January 2017 at 11:21 AM, titch said:

The packets say..

Metroplex - use 1-2 measures for every 40L. Repeat every 2 days for up to 3 weeks or until symptoms disappear.

Kanaplex - use 1 level measure to every 20L. Repeat every 2 days until symptoms disappear or up to a maximum of 3 doses.

According to Seachem Tech Support, you can do Kanaplex for two weeks before taking a week off.  (See their Discussion.)

4 hours ago, koko said:

I thought she was asking if she should discontinue the kana now that metro is done and the answer is that both individually need to have a two week run even if they overlap a little in the middle.  

While fhe kanaplex can be done again affer a break I think that should be evaluated after said break.  This fish might continue to improve on his own in the interim.

As I said in the other thread please stop using the packet directions, our instructions for the duration override this.  Redoes the medication in full every time you do a water change for fourteen days for each kanaplex and metro.  If the metro started first then the kanaplex will be dosed alone for the remaining days.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I was previously under the impression I could only do 3 doses of Kana followed by a weeks break before I could start again (all whilst continuing the Metro).

From what I understand now, I can continue them both as I have been doing for another week (dose every other day following 100% WC).

Please let me know if I've not understood properly.

4 hours ago, shakaho said:

According to Seachem Tech Support, you can do Kanaplex for two weeks before taking a week off.  (See their Discussion.)

The instructions on the product are the most conservative.  If you go to the link you will see several times in which the Tech person says you can do 2 weeks straight, but then you must take a break for a week.

Ok. I'll continue with both Metro & Kana for another week. 4th dose will be tomorrow.

Great work guys :thumbs:

Update:

Winston had his 6th dose of both Metroplex & Kanaplex last night. This is the final one of the 2 week course (started 29th January, dosing every other day).

Photographs were taken this morning. Not great images I'm afraid, I need to teach my husband the ways with my camera! :teehee Note that the patch on his belly was really rather red a couple of days ago. Today it's more of a dirty yellow/pink/orange mix. 

Where do we go from here? Should I keep dosing with the Metro or have a break and see what happens?

IMG_3141_zps2iowqcyl.jpg

IMG_3153_zps92npdnct.jpg

IMG_3156_zpsrwxdq2wq.jpg

IMG_3159_zpsr187xjfv.jpg

IMG_3163_zpsfdzduqoy.jpg

IMG_3167_zpsokk6auxh.jpg

Edited by titch