Sign in to follow this  
titch

Help! part 2

P.s. I think I can buy all new media tomorrow (wont know if my LFS has everything in stock until morning though).

Would that be better? Replace all with new? How do I nuke the filter (bucket bit) & pipes though?

For info I'm running the FX6 with bio-max, ceramic rings, bio balls, bio-pads, polishing pads & sponges.

What do you feed as an everyday staple (Repashy was mine - every morning)?

Does Acriflavine kill a cycle? Is that why it needs treating via QT? Will Piggy need treating as well as Winston?

Lots of questions, sorry :krazy::stars

:blowup:

5 hours ago, titch said:

P.s. I think I can buy all new media tomorrow (wont know if my LFS has everything in stock until morning though).

Would that be better? Replace all with new? How do I nuke the filter (bucket bit) & pipes though?

yes  and yes. you will need to bleach everything. I would do it in a tub where you can put it in all the pipes submerse it in the bleach/ water. If I remember its mix 9 parts water with 1 part regular bottled bleach. Reg Bleach. 

5 hours ago, titch said:

For info I'm running the FX6 with bio-max, ceramic rings, bio balls, bio-pads, polishing pads & sponges.

What do you feed as an everyday staple (Repashy was mine - every morning)?

I give mine once a day either blood worms, brim shrimp, some times flakes. Then I let them eat off my moss balls and other plant food in the tank :)

5 hours ago, titch said:

Does Acriflavine kill a cycle? Is that why it needs treating via QT? Will Piggy need treating as well as Winston?

yes and we want to clean everything out so it doesn't spread to your new tank system. yes. hun.

5 hours ago, titch said:

Lots of questions, sorry :krazy::stars

:blowup:

I would set up your new tank with tap water and the new filter. Let it run.

No no ask away we are here. I have asked Sharon and AM to help .... :) 

We are talking in the back hun :) we will be back to you :) 

1 hour ago, koko said:

We are talking in the back hun :) we will be back to you :) 

No probs. 

Spent today sorting the new tank out. 

It's filled, primed, got an airstone going, new FX6 running & a thin layer of sand (less than 1").

What should I/can I do tomorrow? I know I need to nuke my old filter & hoses, & replace all media. Is there a procedure I should follow for nuking (do I rinse & rinse or air dry to removes all traces of bleach)? What else?

P.s. This is the Acriflavine I have...

Directions say add 10ml per 750 litres using the measuring cup provided. Repeat after 10 days. Repeat up to 4 times where necessary.... For severe cases use as a dip/bath at the rate of 10ml per 100 litres up to an absolute maximum of one hour, being observed throughout and with additional aeration.

Also says that filtration should be maintained at all times but I don't have another filter for QT. 

068360F6-56EC-4BCD-B550-96C21FAD17F7_zps

2AEFC7A4-F829-44E4-A4C5-D07A0957C6B7_zps

Hold on hun... Don't do anything we are trying to figure this all out for ya :):hug 

12 minutes ago, koko said:

Hold on hun... Don't do anything we are trying to figure this all out for ya :):hug 

Don't worry. I'm not doing ANYTHING unless I get your go ahead!!

19 hours ago, titch said:

Don't worry. I'm not doing ANYTHING unless I get your go ahead!!

Okay lets get that new tank up with the new filter... First.

do you have Prazi on hand? 

15 minutes ago, koko said:

Okay lets get that new tank up with the new filter... First.

do you have Prazi on hand? 

Yes, Fluke Solve. May need to grab some more depending on what you have planned.

Tank is up & running with new FX6 (been going approx 18hrs), airstone, layer of Tahitian Moon sand, & Prime added. Currently got a couple of heaters on the go raising the temp (used water from outside tap to fill, so pretty chilly). Now at 19.5* (other tank at 24.5*).

What do you want me to do?

14 minutes ago, titch said:

Yes, Fluke Solve. May need to grab some more depending on what you have planned.

We are going to treat your new tank with fish with Prazi for a Month hun. If this doest work we will go with the other stuff.(acriflavine) Its a lot stronger but since you leaving soon we don't want to stress you and the fish. 

Tank is up & running with new FX6 (been going approx 18hrs), airstone, layer of Tahitian Moon sand, & Prime added. Currently got a couple of heaters on the go raising the temp (used water from outside tap to fill, so pretty chilly). Now at 19.5* (other tank at 24.5*).

What do you want me to do?

I want you to clean your old filter. Dump your media out. Clean the bucket out and hoses. then set it up in your new tank. We will be doing a fish cycle with your fish so your going to have to keep a very close eye on your cycle :) 

1 minute ago, koko said:

We are going to treat your new tank with fish with Prazi for a Month hun. If this doest work we will go with the other stuff. Its a lot stronger but since you leaving soon we don't want to stress you and the fish. 

I want you to clean your old filter. Dump your media out. Clean the bucket out and hoses. then set it up in your new tank. We will be doing a fish cycle with your fish so your going to have to keep a very close eye on your cycle :) 

Oh wow. Ok. 

I didn't grab the new media for the filter as I didn't want to go spending if you said I didn't have to. It's 4pm here so LFS have just closed. Unfortunately I'm out all day tomorrow (my dads birthday) so won't get any until Tuesday. 

I'm assuming you want me to buy ALL new media?

Also, when you say clean, you mean nuke? With bleach?

2 minutes ago, titch said:

Oh wow. Ok. 

I didn't grab the new media for the filter as I didn't want to go spending if you said I didn't have to. It's 4pm here so LFS have just closed. Unfortunately I'm out all day tomorrow (my dads birthday) so won't get any until Tuesday. 

I'm assuming you want me to buy ALL new media?

You can go that way or you can Bleach the bio balls and make sure you Prime the heck out of it all. The Sponge and floss I would just replace it. Pretty cheep on that stuff.

1 minute ago, titch said:

Also, when you say clean, you mean nuke? With bleach?

yes please. Make sure you prime it all very good after words and let it sun dry if you can for 24-48 hours. Make sure it doesn't smell like anything. No bleach smell no nothing. :) 

No worries hun. I rather go slow then rush :) Gives us time to make sure we cross all our t's :) 

Just now, koko said:

You can go that way or you can Bleach the bio balls and make sure you Prime the heck out of it all. The Sponge and floss I would just replace it. Pretty cheep on that stuff.

yes please. Make sure you prime it all very good after words and let it sun dry if you can for 24-48 hours. Make sure it doesn't smell like anything. No bleach smell no nothing. :) 

No worries hun. I rather go slow then rush :) Gives us time to make sure we cross all our t's :) 

If you want the filter & hoses to sun dry (firstly, you're having a laugh! This is England. Sun?!!), do I transfer the boys to the new tank with just one filter running (the new one) whilst waiting for the 'old' one to dry? Will that be ok for 24-48hrs?

If you want the filter & hoses to sun dry (firstly, you're having a laugh! This is England. Sun?!!), do I transfer the boys to the new tank with just one filter running (the new one) whilst waiting for the 'old' one to dry? Will that be ok for 24-48hrs?

OHHHH I forgot that you live in Fog cloudy country :rofl

Okay no sun, So let your filter stuff sit in the bleach stuff 1/9 parts :) for about 2-3 hours this should kill everything. Then I would rinse rinse like you never rinsed before. Then I would soak everything in Prime like double dose or more... Let it set for for at least 2 hours... Then Rinse like you never rinsed before. 

then your going to smell it, make sure you don't smell a thing.

Yeah with your big tank it should be an issue with just one filter for 24-48 hours hun. Just check there water first every day to see if there is ammonia in there :)

So yes you can move them over but when you do start the Prazi in that tank.. We want to keep it clean :) 

2 minutes ago, koko said:

OHHHH I forgot that you live in Fog cloudy country :rofl

Okay no sun, So let your filter stuff sit in the bleach stuff 1/9 parts :) for about 2-3 hours this should kill everything. Then I would rinse rinse like you never rinsed before. Then I would soak everything in Prime like double dose or more... Let it set for for at least 2 hours... Then Rinse like you never rinsed before. 

then your going to smell it, make sure you don't smell a thing.

Yeah with your big tank it should be an issue with just one filter for 24-48 hours hun. Just check there water first every day to see if there is ammonia in there :)

So yes you can move them over but when you do start the Prazi in that tank.. We want to keep it clean :) 

Thanks for that.

Do you mean start the FS as soon as the boys are moved, or wait until the 'old' filter is transferred also?

Just now, titch said:

Thanks for that.

Do you mean start the FS as soon as the boys are moved, or wait until the 'old' filter is transferred also?

As soon as they are moved... We don't want to contaminate the new system :) 

Just now, koko said:

As soon as they are moved... We don't want to contaminate the new system :) 

Ok. Do I have to float them or can I 'plop' them in? 

Obviously I need to wait until the temp has risen (still at 19.5*).

Just now, titch said:

Ok. Do I have to float them or can I 'plop' them in? 

Obviously I need to wait until the temp has risen (still at 19.5*).

If it was me I would float for 1/2 and in that time let the water from the tank into there bag at least once. gives them a chance to get a little more comfy with out a shock :) 

but yes lets get the temp back :o 

4 minutes ago, koko said:

If it was me I would float for 1/2 and in that time let the water from the tank into there bag at least once. gives them a chance to get a little more comfy with out a shock :) 

but yes lets get the temp back :o 

Ok, will do.

And how do I redose the FS? Because of the fish-in cycle, I expect I'll be doing a fair few WC. Should I just replace what I've taken out each time with 'fresh' FS (I.e. Not from a pre-made batch)? Is it possible to overdose FS?

Edited by titch

Ref. the filter & hoses, after bleaching for 2-3hrs, then soaking in primed water for 2-3hrs & rinsing, do I still need to air dry for 24-48hrs? 

Or do you mean if there's no smell after priming & rinsing I'm good to go?

Ref. the filter & hoses, after bleaching for 2-3hrs, then soaking in primed water for 2-3hrs & rinsing, do I still need to air dry for 24-48hrs? 

No cause you have no sun :rofl 

Or do you mean if there's no smell after priming & rinsing I'm good to go?

yes :) 

11 minutes ago, titch said:

Ok, will do.

And how do I redose the FS? Because of the fish-in cycle, I expect I'll be doing a fair few WC. Should I just replace what I've taken out each time with 'fresh' FS (I.e. Not from a pre-made batch)? Is it possible to overdose FS?

Whats the directions on the box? 

We are going to do it like we did last time hun but for a month :)