1 minute ago, titch said:

Main tank parameters taken last night were;

Ammonia - 0 ppm

Nitrite - 0ppm

Nitrate - 10ppm

pH - 8.2

Last WC - Sunday - 90 litres

Next WC - tonight, 60 litres

Piggy still looks and acts normal. He still has his dark patches which you though were age spots. One of them is slightly raised - not in a pineconed way, think how your finger nail looks if you bashed it with a hammer!! Lol! Kinda looks like it's going to drop off, but as yet it hasn't.

I was wondering if I should maybe dose the main tank with Fluke Solve in prep for Winston returning. Last round was in October.

I did spot what I thought were flukes on Sunday during the WC (although I've never seen a fluke before, so who knows). I found two of them and they were tiny, about 2mm across and transparent with a black bit in the centre. They were both on the glass, not Piggy (had a good search on him, but he appears clear). Note: they weren't moving and didn't move when I 'caught' them.

So no... maybe the answer is the main tank isn't looking clear & healthy :no:

Ok that worries me as you can't see Flukes hun not with out a Micro... So what was that.... 

I would Fluke that tank hun. If your seeing things in there.... :o 

It didn't look like this?

1 minute ago, koko said:

Ok that worries me as you can't see Flukes hun not with out a Micro... So what was that.... 

I would Fluke that tank hun. If your seeing things in there.... :o 

It didn't look like this?

Hmmmm.... yeah maybe. Same shape (it was defo round).

It didn't have a green tinge to it though. More transparent, but it was teeny weeny, so maybe I didn't really notice any colouring before I squished it.

If it's a louse (?), what should I treat it with? Does Fluke Solve treat for these?

I guess I should stop with the main tank water too for Winston?

Just now, titch said:

Hmmmm.... yeah maybe. Same shape (it was defo round).

It didn't have a green tinge to it though. More transparent, but it was teeny weeny, so maybe I didn't really notice any colouring before I squished it.

If it's a louse (?), what should I treat it with? Does Fluke Solve treat for these?

I guess I should stop with the main tank water too for Winston?

yes please no more main tank till we can figure this out :yikes

Let me get the mods attention on this :o 

Just now, koko said:

yes please no more main tank till we can figure this out :yikes

Let me get the mods attention on this :o 

I'm so sorry.... I'm not a very good fish momma huh? :cry

I'll wait to hear ref. main tank.

For Winston, I'll continue with Silver @ 25 drops, salt @ 0.1% and just normal water.

1 minute ago, koko said:

Fluke Solve

No hun I think we will need this Lice Solve But I want the mods to make sure what we are dealing with... :o 

Just now, titch said:

I'm so sorry.... I'm not a very good fish momma huh? :cry

I'll wait to hear ref. main tank.

For Winston, I'll continue with Silver @ 25 drops, salt @ 0.1% and just normal water.

No your not.... :hug  a bad mom wouldnt be worried about her fishes :)

Just out of trying to remember did you add someone new to the tank in the last few months? and if you did, did you QT them :) 

3 minutes ago, koko said:

No your not.... :hug  a bad mom wouldnt be worried about her fishes :)

Just out of trying to remember did you add someone new to the tank in the last few months? and if you did, did you QT them :) 

No, no livestock.

Only thing that went back in were the plants (anubias) that were on the evil bogwood I removed.

Plants went back in at the beginning of March.

16 minutes ago, koko said:

No hun I think we will need this Lice Solve But I want the mods to make sure what we are dealing with... :o 

Ordered. 

54 minutes ago, titch said:

No, no livestock.

Only thing that went back in were the plants (anubias) that were on the evil bogwood I removed.

Plants went back in at the beginning of March.

If you see one of those again. Try and get it and take a photo of it :) 

Who was the last one added to the tank and when hun :) 

1 hour ago, koko said:

Who was the last one added to the tank and when hun :) 

Checked the tank again tonight but couldn't see any. Will keep my eyes peeled. 

Piggy & Winston were both added together in October 2014. Nerites were added sometime between then & now but I couldn't tell you if my life depended on it when. I genuinely don't remember how long I've had them.

Photo update...

EF816DD2-9DDF-4E50-8B6E-C01A60938511_zps

15536F17-AC3F-4B96-906E-5D9ABC0DD7D8_zps

E6D5321A-C021-4132-91EE-FAE287D7D922_zps

60192B9F-22B5-43F8-AA44-50F91F08B34D_zps

1965A122-8A5E-44DA-A119-9C1D00939874_zps

A7803ADD-9770-46A9-A6B6-982042AD60E0_zps

9392C114-2F50-48BA-AE2C-5B5B528CAC41_zps

And Piggy's raised scale (difficult to capture)

B835F464-88F0-48B5-A61F-FE883B811E1B_zps

0A83C1D5-5C4E-4498-A2CF-C8AC314D2F57_zps

AC25AEB7-3914-40C6-B7E3-6BC40F19380C_zps

These are the only two now right? 

18 minutes ago, koko said:

These are the only two now right? 

Yes. 

Just now, titch said:

Yes. 

OK hun what is in the tank.?

Im thinking after we treat for those Lice. Putting them together, and silver both of them or Metro ing them both :) 

5 minutes ago, koko said:

OK hun what is in the tank.?

Im thinking after we treat for those Lice. Putting them together, and silver both of them or Metro ing them both :) 

Just Piggy, 3 Nerites & a few anubias (as well as the Fluval FX6 input/output & a thermometer). That's it. 

Ok, so dose the main tank yeah? Will need to know how long for & the procedure so I can ensure I have enough meds available for the full treatment. Are the Nerites ok with silver and/or Metroplex?

Just for info - I'm off on holiday on 27th June so that's kinda the target I'm working to for everyone to be A.OK. Not great timing I know. :blink:

6 hours ago, titch said:

Are the Nerites ok with silver and/or Metroplex?

No on the Metro and I have never used it on snails. so Im going to say No all together :)

6 hours ago, titch said:

Will need to know how long for & the procedure so I can ensure I have enough meds available for the full treatment

I have never used that Lice Solve. :o 

As for the Metro I wanted to run a 14 day treatment and the silver :) 

Taken from http://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Mectinsol_1.aspx?pageid=369

Sufficient product should be used to ensure that you use 4 grams of Lice-Solve per 1000 litres of pond or tank water. There are two convenient sachet sizes -

10g - which is sufficient for 2500 litres (550 gallons)

100g - which is sufficient for 25000 litres (5500 gallons)

USE
Turn off the UV and bypass any carbon filters. Put the required number of Lice-Solve sachets into 10 litres of pond or tank water in a clean bucket and mix well. Pour this suspension into the pond or tank and rinse the bucket out with pond or tank water to make sure you have used all of the product. Leave for 12 hours and then turn on the UV and activate the carbon filter.

Repeat treatment after one month to ensure developed eggs are killed. Use once a year as a routine treatment to prevent the build-up of parasites such as Argulus and Ergasilus, and to take care of the parasites or their eggs overwintering.

I've ordered the 10g sachet, so should have plenty. One question though ref. 'Leave for 12 hours and then... activate the carbon filter'. I have no carbon for my filter - should I buy a pad and use after 12 hours or should I simply use WC to remove the meds. What about waiting a month to repeat? Just thinking about timescales, that's all (12 weeks until I jet off on holibobs).

Also, what WC schedule would you suggest during the Lice-Solve and Metro treatments? Currently doing 3 changes per week (60 litres on Tuesdays & Thursdays, 90 litres on Sunday).

For the Metroplex, Seachem states the following, but no mention of water changes;

Directions

Dosing in Water

Remove all invertebrates - these are extremely sensitive to medication. Turn off UV filters, ozone filters, and remove chemical filtration like MatrixCarbon™ and Purigen™. Use 1-2 measures (included) per every 40 L (10 US gallons). Repeat this dose every 48 hours for up to 3 weeks or until symptoms disappear.

I hate it when meds state 1-2 measures!!! Well which is it?! 1 or 2? Grrrrrr....

Finally, what silver dose and how often?

I know we're a little way off for Metro + Silver but just want to get my head around it and be prepared :rolleyes:

Edited by titch

:stop

I have emailed the vet at Vetark, the manufacturer/distributor of Lice-Solve. I wanted to check about any possible issues re. treatment and nerites.

To cut a long story short, no don't treat with snails - they should be removed.

However.... he wasn't sure how to eradicate lice from snails in the event that they are being hosts (aside from a good rinse), so I started researching snails and fish lice. I came across an image/video of nerite larvae. I'm pretty sure this is what I squished on Sunday, but from what I've read it's highly unlikely that nerite eggs will hatch in freshwater.

Thoughts? Anyone ever experienced nerites hatching in FW? After reading up, I see it can happen, but is extremely rare/unlikely.

If they were nerite larvae, it would explain why they didn't appear to be moving (perhaps they were, just too slowly for me to notice). I emailed the vet back and asked whether, in the event that I've misdiagnosed the 'beings' as lice, is a round of Lice-Solve OK to do as a precautionary measure? His response below;

Argulus would be unlikely to sit on the glass anyway. I think you’ve solved it. I would wait and not treat for now.

He was also quite perplexed as to how lice would've been introduced into the tank, particularly as I've not added any new livestock or plants (the anubias were not new, just reintroduced after a period of isolation).

Weird.

What do you guys think?

Edited by titch

:ignore  :stupid:

OK, did I speak too soon? Could they be freshwater limpets? The things I squished were definitely transparent, seemed to have a jelly-like consistency and 'crunched' when I squished them.

Either way, how they heck did they get in my tank?! :blink:

Edited by titch

3 hours ago, titch said:

:ignore  :stupid:

OK, did I speak too soon? Could they be freshwater limpets? The things I squished were definitely transparent, seemed to have a jelly-like consistency and 'crunched' when I squished them.

Either way, how they heck did they get in my tank?! :blink:

If it is like that video hun. Its not lice is a snail. I have had those before and they will over run your tank in time. They are harmless but a pain in the booty :(

They came on your plants hun :o Did you Qt the plants? 

Okay so we don't need to treat Thank goodness.. :) So lets Prazi metro the tank When We can put them back together :)

then I will want you to put Silver in the tank once a week for a Month :) after the prazi and metro are done. 

1 hour ago, koko said:

If it is like that video hun. Its not lice is a snail. I have had those before and they will over run your tank in time. They are harmless but a pain in the booty :(

They came on your plants hun :o Did you Qt the plants? 

Okay so we don't need to treat Thank goodness.. :) So lets Prazi metro the tank When We can put them back together :)

then I will want you to put Silver in the tank once a week for a Month :) after the prazi and metro are done. 

Plants were treated as per seller instructions when I first got them back in October, but not QTed, just washed in a solution of bicarbonate of soda, rinsed & soaked. When I removed the bogwood & plants at beginning of February I simply kept them in a tub of tank water, replaced with every WC. This is genuinely the first time I've seen these critters though. 

Just so I'm clear, am I prazi/metroing the tank before returning Winston or should he be present for the treatment? Am I doing both meds at once?

Could you also remind me of procedure/dosing & WC schedule please as well as how long I'm dosing for?

Photo update...

Small spot on belly & small patch of redness on left just behind wen  

D64952FC-6F8C-4C51-A877-9824780B1059_zps

292091E4-5D34-4DF8-89FF-186AFFF93D87_zps

C11AC664-DF11-4DEE-A3B0-D825746D1521_zps

5A84D210-0E28-4379-8595-B8B5A304276C_zps

59D9AD3D-11CE-4A25-9533-E4E8BA3D7C64_zps

6792EB11-D95D-48E4-98B6-53B03C8980E8_zps

F3832A4B-0EE5-4636-8368-62210657D274_zps

2 hours ago, titch said:

Just so I'm clear, am I prazi/metroing the tank before returning Winston or should he be present for the treatment? Am I doing both meds at once?

I would like them together in the tank :) to do the PRazi :) yes :) 

Could you also remind me of procedure/dosing & WC schedule please as well as how long I'm dosing for?

What do the instructions say hun. So I can see :) 

1 hour ago, koko said:

I would like them together in the tank :) to do the PRazi :) yes :) 

What do the instructions say hun. So I can see :) 

Winston in the tank for prazi only or metro also?

C085E510-3343-486C-8274-259BEE370C2C_zps

How/when do you want Winston reintroducing?

On 4/4/2017 at 5:25 PM, koko said:

I spent a while staring at my tank last night trying to spot more of the critters.

OMG - there's loads of them!!!! They're really hard to spot and I don't notice them moving at all (although I probably would if I sat long enough). Got my hubby to take some piccies for me (his camera is better at close-ups). Please ignore the algae & crud above the water line :blush:

IMG_47531_zps1b0vwpcc.jpg

IMG_47541_zpszc9vhhzw.jpg

IMG_47551_zpsmmbjmmnz.jpg

Snails would explain the little holes in my anubias. 

Kinda hoping that the concoction of Fluke Solve & Metro might nuke them. Think it may be an idea to get rid of all my plants though and start afresh.

Edited by titch

I don't know if the Fluke solve will kill them it doesn't kill crustys at all :o I believe too they can take a high amount of salt too :o

yup little holes little snails and these will take over :o