New to me blue betta

shellbell4ever

So this is the other Betta fish my Sister rescued from my Daughters apartment last April it was a baby at the time,my sister kept them in heated bowls,I now have them both in 5.5 gallon tanks,this guy was dark,almost black/grey when I could see him,his color has improved over time but his fins are really bad, I'm guessing he's a tail biter,I have never had one and I haven't actually seen him do this :(

What is the course of action for him?

20161204_162158.jpg

20161204_162233.jpg

If he is a tail biter, what might help is papering the sides of the tank. That way, he can't be stressed out by his own reflection as much.

Can you get a picture of him flaring? Try holding up a mirror to the tank. It is hard to know what there is for tail damage unless it is all unfurled.

Tails heal pretty easy. Clean water and 1 tsp/gallon will aid the healing process, if there is damage.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Is he always tilted up like that?

he spends most of his time in the back corner by the heater but I do see him in other parts of the tank as well,I cleaned the tank yesterday and rearranged some stuff,He does come out to eat at feeding time,he had a couple of young guppy's (female) tank mates I removed them as well,I have never caught him flaring at the sides of the tank at all,I can cover the sides if that will help,does color matter?

Thanks for your help/advise :) I will try to get a pic of him flaring if I can with my good camera later at feeding time...

he spends most of his time in the back corner by the heater but I do see him in other parts of the tank as well,I cleaned the tank yesterday and rearranged some stuff,He does come out to eat at feeding time,he had a couple of young guppy's (female) tank mates I removed them as well,I have never caught him flaring at the sides of the tank at all,I can cover the sides if that will help,does color matter?

Thanks for your help/advise :) I will try to get a pic of him flaring if I can with my good camera later at feeding time...

Color doesn't matter. It's just to keep his image from surrounding him, making him unhappy.

My bettas aren't terribly active creatures either, but as long as your guy is healthy he should be fine. Im sure he will continue to progress in your care!

• Helper

He may remain a tail biter, I've had several. Proper water conditions, heater, and two extremely small meals a day will help immensely even if he continues to barber himself though. Remember not to overfeed - two to four tiny pellets per day, since their stomach is the size of their eye.

yep I've kept Betta's on and off since 2004 ish, I had about a dozen at one time in individule and devided tanks lol but don't ever remember having a tail biter :( Seeing Bubbles made me smile :)

I will try to get some new pics up later tonight, Hubby's not feeling well and good Camera's in the bedroom currently :(

Do you know what kind of betta he is? Is his stomach distended? My bettas aren't so large in front and then real thin. dcddc9771265f4fda020463a4fbf1ca7.jpg

This is storm, my 2yr old plakat. Are your pictures tricking my eyes or is he really so oddly shaped?

• Admin

Im sorry hun. You know anytime I have seen a betta with the extended tummy they will normally die soon. I dont know what its is but it seems to be a death sentence :(