Sign in to follow this  
Mikey

New Oranda With Dropsy

Hello! I am currently coming home with a dropsied oranda. The store didn't have the medications available to treat so I bought him for half off.

He's going into the ten gallon spare tank I have.

Medications are the oxcylinic acid I think it's called, metroplex, and kanaplex how should I go about treating him? :) thank you!

Oh he also had fish lice but were taken off at the store before bringing home. At least the visible ones :scared hopefully there weren't any eggs.

Edited by Mikey

I'm assuming all the meds are waterborne? I'd go with the oxa. Acid and the metro... and Epsom.

I'm assuming all the meds are waterborne? I'd go with the oxa. Acid and the metro... and Epsom.

yes all waterbourne

Thanks so much! you're a life saver :bighug

Oxytetracycline hydrochloride? It was from angels plus. Taryl wanted to use it on Baby Blue, but he died before it came :(

02E3F775-D7CD-45F1-8710-1899D726CF59_zps06D04FFC-CD2F-4B6B-AF0E-A1A569AC87AB_zps3A210C5F-9CEB-4F78-93E8-25D1DFF69759_zps45EAC9EF-0A08-4B0B-AB72-BC1CA30678A6_zps

Am I dosing, waiting 2 day, 100% water change, and then redosing and doing that for 14 days (7 doses of each medication?) and then evaluate his progress?

He's adorable. Hope he feels better.

Thank you :)

Just read the instructions :doh11: I'm guessing metro for the 7 day thing but dose the oxytetracycline hydrochloride daily. It says ten days, but should I do it for the 14 like the metro? And he doesn't have any interest in food :( I tried the garlicky NLS Algaemax and nothing.

Edited by Mikey

You can extend the oxy an extra four days if he will do it. Daily 100% water changes for both meds and a 14 day course in warm water (76-78 degrees) is best. Feed lightly or force feed/syringe feed as needed.

You can extend the oxy an extra four days if he will do it. Daily 100% water changes for both meds and a 14 day course in warm water (76-78 degrees) is best. Feed lightly or force feed/syringe feed as needed.

okay excellent! Thank you!

Temp is around 76.5-77 :)

He's attempting to eat!!! :nana he is chewing a pellet right now.

Yay! I hope the meds help him to feel better. He is gorgeous!

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Thank you :nana

He ate the nls pellets today but the pinconing looks worse. Should I just wait and see at this point, or raise the Epsom salt at all? There's is 1/2 tsp in there now.

6ABE90AC-FA47-4E6C-84F7-DC390A3A1361_zpsD85BE3EF-B6B4-465C-B132-A62B92DF2362_zpsive become so attached to this fish :doh11:

I SEE POOP!! :nana it's skinny and thin, but it's food colored!

Raising the epsom isn't really necessary, 1/2 teaspoon per ten gallons should be more than enough to be honest.

Okay :) do you think he's going to make it? I went through such a process to get him and I absolutely am in love with is chubby cheeks :heart

Edited by Mikey

oh Mikey he's so cute :) I hope he recovers and gets healthy for you :)

Just finished his daily water change :flex:

B32B4C3D-34CC-4FDF-A274-CDE6E0259C41_zpsHere is how he is looking today. I honestly can't tell if he's getting better or not body condition wise. However, Activity wise, he is super lively and is constantly wanting to eat now :nana

I am expecting him to lose his blue, I just dont think he's going to keep it. I don't care though, I just love his chubby cheeks and that face :wub: it doesn't matter what color he ends up being :heart

Edited by Mikey

Just read the instructions :doh11: I'm guessing metro for the 7 day thing but dose the oxytetracycline hydrochloride daily. It says ten days, but should I do it for the 14 like the metro? And he doesn't have any interest in food :( I tried the garlicky NLS Algaemax and nothing.

You dose each daily with 100% water changes for 14 days. You can stop the oxy at day 10 if you want but dosing a bit longer won't hurt.

You dose each daily with 100% water changes for 14 days. You can stop the oxy at day 10 if you want but dosing a bit longer won't hurt.
yes :) that's what I've been doing :nana he seems okay with the Oxy, so I will do both medications for fourteen days. I think he has more raised scales, but then as a whole, his body seems a lot less swollen if that makes any sense.

I fell asleep and forgot the water change :doh11: