Sign in to follow this  
fishstiks

New Telescope has blood in eye

Hey all,

I just ordered some fish over the holiday weekend, and they arrived yesterday.  One of the 2 telescopes I got looks like he got a little banged around during shipping, and his right eye looks like maybe a blood vessel broke, and there is blood in there.  No open wounds at all, just looks like there is blood IN that eyeball. 

He seems to be in good heath otherwise, swimming and eating well, no other signs of stress.  I am not really sure if he can even see out of that eye or not.

The new fish are in a 55g QT tank and will be undergoing a full 2 week round of Prazi, and I added Melafix and Pimafix to the tank too, just as a precautionary.

Is there anything more I should or need to do for this little guy?  I am not finding anything on the internet regarding this situation, and I am just a little worried about him.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I can fill out the form you guys always ask for, but, as they just arrived yesterday, I don't have much to tell.  Water params are all in check, I will test the QT tank tonight again after they have been in it for 24 hours and see where I stand.  I'm really just looking for advice for this little guys eye.  Again, it is not an open wound at all, it looks more like a broken blood vessel inside the eye.

The QT is a 55g, with a single biowheel 400 (established and fully cycled from main tank).  There are 6 new goldies, 2 orandas 3-4 inch, 2 ranchu 2 inch, and 2 telescopes apx 3 inch with tails.

Please at least tell us the temperature, what meds you have on hand, and closeup pictures from the top and side of the head would be very helpful. Any off behavior or listing/lethargy is also something we need to know. It could be nothing, but without good images we can't tell much.

Please do NOT add Pimafix or Melafix prophylactically. Salt and warm water only at this point, okay? :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

Ok, thank you.  I will get some good pictures of him this evening and post them.  As of this morning, he was not listless or acting out of the ordinary.

Temp is 76 in the QT, my main tank is kept at 73-74.

I have a "general cure' from API, Furan-2, salt, Meth Blue, Prazi and Metro on hand.  I also have a pet store within 5 minutes of my house, so I can get other meds in a hurry if needed.

Thanks so much, I will get some pictures uploaded as soon as I get home tonight :-)

Great, sounds good on the temp and med front. I don't think we will need any of the latter but just in case, the General Cure is a great choice since it hits both the prazi and metronidazole together. We dose those for two weeks though, which is longer than the package says. So you may want to make sure you have enough on hand for a full treatment if it is needed,

Have you notified the seller of this problem?

I will make sure to get more so I have plenty on hand. 

Yes, the seller is aware and we are keeping in touch.

Congrats on your new Goldfish. Hope his eye feels better.

Hey guys, so, got home from work tonight and things are worse than I initially thought. The telescopes eye looks like it is deflating! It's not near as big as it was yesterday, and I see what looks like bruising under the eye and into his gill flap. He's also bottom sitting quite a bit.

Now, 2 of the other fish are showing what looks like white fungus specks on them. One of the ranchus has it on his face and a little on his back, and the black oranda has a few spots on her wen. I don't think this is ich, it looks way more fuzzy than ich specks.

I have pics, but I'm can't seem to figure out how to load them from my phone. I'll work on that in a minute.

Not sure where the questionnaire is, but I will answer as much as I can remember from it. Water tested just now.

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 10

No PH test yet, I need to order one.

Tap ammonia 0

Tap nitrites 0

Tap nitrates less than 5

Tank is 55g qt but does have gravel in it and a few small pieces of tufa rock. Running a biowheel 400, fully cycled from my existing tank. Heat is at 76.

6 goldfish added yesterday, 2 orandas (4 inch), 2 ranchus (2-3 inch) 2 telescopes (3 inch)

Added prazi, melafix and pimafix yesterday.

you need to upload them to photobucket or something like that :)

Any help would be appreciated, I am kind of at a loss here. I don't have much goldfish experience, most of my fish experience has been in the saltwater world.

I am really worried about the telescope, I fear he may lose his eye, or even his life.

The fungus isn't good either, not sure what I should treat with, or if I should treat at all.

Should I move the healthy ones to another tank so they don't get sick too?

Remove the Pimafix and Melafix like I mentioned earlier, a full water change please :)

So wait, all the white blotches are current too? Are these fish also new or in a separate quarantine? I'm confused, you only originally mentioned the two telescopes. Did these all arrive from the same seller st the same time?

It does look like a mechanical injury and there is nothing to be done. Keep the water warm and the salt bumped up to .3%, or about a tablespsoon per gallon by volume. Instructions here:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/disease-information/on-the-use-of-salt-r470

No medications needed at this time but the salt and keeping the heat where it is. He may lose the eye, but it won't hurt him appreciably in terms of function. It may also just end up damaged but stay attached. I'd get a refund from the seller either way.

As to the other fish, can you please start a new thread with all the pertinent details and pictures connected to it please? Established fish and new arrivals shouldn't be mixed anyway so it's fine to have their treatment threads separate and we can address the specific issues there instead of just making this thread more confusing, okay? :). I'm unclear as to whether you're saying these are all new or not?

Edited by Arctic Mama

Sorry, yes, all 6 fish are new, from the same seller at the same time, shipped all together, and are the only fish in this 55g tank.

I will start a new thread for the other fish though, the more I look at it, the more I think it could possibly be ich.

I just did a 100% water change and am adding salt (API aquarium salt) as suggested. The telescope did eat tonight, with gusto. He definitely seems lethargic, but really not in any distress.

Edited by fishstiks

Hmm if it is ich and they were all from the same seller you can probably move him in with them for treatment in another two days or so. We just want to give him time to de-stress from the injury and transit but his treatment for the injury and their ich treatment are essentially the same.

Please copy the form below, paste it in your reply and answer the questions.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

We need pictures to determine if the fish actually have ich.  To get a picture in your post, go to the photo on Photobucket.  To the right of the picture you see a box with a URL in it.  Click on the box.  It will turn yellow and say "copied."  Go to your post, click where you want the picture and hit control v.  Your post will show this:

58D1A6A8-8319-4D24-A7C7-73D15CD59192_zps

I agree completely with Taryl that the fish has an injury and you need to keep the water very clean to avoid infection.  If you succeed in this, the fish should heal, but you shouldn't expect the eye to look perfect.

Also, please read our guidelines for healthy goldfish.

Morning update, telescope seems to be doing ok.  I moved him to my 15 gallon tank which was housing my 2 baby fry (1 month old) and I put the fry in a breeder box in the main tank.  So, now he has a tank all to himself to heal.  I will give him a few days before returning him to the 55g QT tank.  He is still eating nicely, and seems more active this morning than he was last night.  The eye does not look any worse, but not any better either.  I don't think it has deflated any more either.

For now, I will continue to just use salt and warm water, and lots of water changes.  Hopefully he will continue to improve.

If the blood clears it will take a week or two to dissipate anyway, so don't expect overnight miracles ;). If the eye looks the same that's a good sign he may not lose it though.

Yea, hoping he won't lose the eye, and it definitely does not look any worse, so crossing my fingers.  Thanks so much!

Quick update, the telescope is doing fine.  His eye has not gotten any worse, so I think we are at a holding point.  He seems totally unaffected by the whole ordeal, and while I really don't think he can see right now out of that eye, he is active and eating well.  Will continue to maintain salt and warm water and let him heal up all by himself.

What kind of prazi do you have? Liquid or powder? You can begin the rest of his quarantine if your prazi is a powdered product, otherwise you may want to wait and reduce the salt slightly as Hikari Prazipro liquid isn't recommended for use with salt beyond a very low salinity.

It is the liquid version.  I will hold off on Prazi for a little while until I reduce the salt.  How long should I keep the salt at this level?  I dosed to .3% according to the link you posted for me.

Edited by fishstiks

Like I said in the other thread with the ranchu getting worse I'd just move the telescope into the other quarantine, move the salt back down to .2 and then .1%, then begin the prazipro liquid. Hikari thinks it works fine with .1% but they hem and haw a lot beyond that point.

I think your separate hospital tank is better used for the increasingly sick fish at this point. Just be sure to do a 100% water change on the other bigger quarantine tank before you put the telescope in (replace the salt too) and do a thorough water change and cleaning on the hospital tank before moving in the sick fish. We want to keep any parasite or bacterial population as low as possible to not burden their immune systems.

Will do, thank you!  Nothing like spending your Friday night doing water changes, thank god my husband loves them too :I-Thank-You: