Sign in to follow this  
Jack5366

Oranda Wen growing over the eyes

Hello,

I am new to the site. My daughter has a beautiful Oranda. He is massive. (Approximately 6"-8")

over the past few months his wen has grown over his eyes thus making him basically blind. Is there anyway to fix this? Can it be safely trimmed or would changing the diet help? We feed  Hikari sinking wheat germ pellets. The Oranda is in a 55 gallon tank with 2 Ryukins.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

hello and welcome to kokos :)  the wen of a goldfish can be trimmed or left. goldfish unable to see usually do incredibly well, considering. they are still able to eat and interact with little effort. the only alternative is sedation and procedure. our kokos member LisaCGold documented the wen procedure she did on video. it's well done if you are interested in doing something like this :)

Yes, welcome aboard! Wen trimming looks scarier than it is, I hope the video gives you some confidence to undertake it, but even if you didn't trim it I agree with Helen that the fish will likely be just fine.