Ideas for a 60g planted tank?

LaurenJ

So far the only thing it reliably grows is algae and java moss -.-

It's very tall, I think that might be part if the problem. We have an LED lightstrip on it, but I don't think the light reaches down far enough. It also gets natural sunlight because it's facing a pair of sliding glass doors, which explains the algae LOL

Could use some plant ideas. We've tried Vals, Anacharis(sp?), wisteria, some kind of frilly dill looking plant (hornwort?), and anubias. They all melted or got so coated in algae they suffocated. We have that thick grassy algae that looks like a shag carpet. The cichlids and CAE love it, but they aren't in that tank LOL.

• Supporter

Anubias plants come in several varieties I personally have had some reach 18" tall and would have probably got taller if I had not taken the tank down. They can grow in almost no light in my experience. Dwarf water lilies may also being an option as they would reach for the surface and get light. Idk what kind of fish you have but the algae you described sounds like something that flying fox fish like. But I have no experience with those so I am just going on something I remember reading years ago.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

I had hygro but it got very stalky and I didn't like how it looked. I gave most of it away, the rest eventually died off.

It's very sparse right now, and I'm fighting tennis elbow, so it's a little dirty and running low. There's also a snail problem that I'm hoping the loaches (yoyos and kuhlis) can catch up on soon.

15195971_10210760504946775_2379084293565

If you can grow java moss and green algae, you can grow anubias, crypts and swords. It's just about figuring out the horticultural elements and how they work in your tank. :) Hygrophila, like most stems, will get leggy without proper maintenance. The older lower leaves will drop off as the plant puts energy into new top growth. Regular trimming will help, as will pinching the tops, uprooting the older portion and planting the cut top.

What is the circulation in the tank like? What about fertilisers, do you add any?

• 1 month later...

Get some swords!

This was my old tank. Was simple and easy! I barley changed water on it lol and readings were still always good. Unfortunately I moved and tank went down...

72d3cf0ce7403ff78645dcc00aec987d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk