Lets Talk About Fish #5

koko

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Helper

:o A new one!

I think I cut down on my pondies feeding too much when the weather was colder. Some of them are looking a bit skinny. Will have to fix that!

Edited by FishyMandy

• Helper

A new thread! Yay!

In sad news, I have a betta that refuses to eat and is showing no other symptoms. This one hasn't been normal since I got him but I don't think he is long for the world. He has a c shape and a month of pretty much refusing all food so I anticipate we are in the final stretch. I have never had an animal starve themselves to death, it's sad :(

No flukes, worms, bacterial infections, or visible viral symptoms. Some minor tail biting for months. Tank is fine and all other fish are happy. Oh well.

• Helper

I'm so sorry Taryl :hug

He's even refusing FBW?? :o

I'm highly allergic to shellfish and frozen bloodworms trigger the same allergy in me unfortunately. I open the packaging and begin reacting almost immediately. This fish is still pretty young, I've had him three months and he has been a poor eater since month two and no eating since before Halloween. It's so strange. No mechanical injuries or obstructions either. No dietary changes. I'm almost tempted to move him from the tank to a cup and see if it's anxiety induced by having an nice, planted tank pretty much to himself!

Some bettas are like that. They don't do well on bigger spaces even though it's better for them. Some just like it in a smaller area and some don't like a lot of flow or none at all.

Can the hubby try feeding him the FBW?

Due to a change in situation, my overstocked tanks are about to get way worse. My sister was recently diagnosed with a nasty anxiety/depression combo and has to downsize her tanks... Meaning she will have to drastically cut down on fish. I will be taking her two amoonklein babies, bumping me from 70g/6 fish to 70g/8. But i simply can't watch those babies go to a petstore! And i can't even take one of her larger tanks, as my parents would KILL ME if I upsized a tank...

• Helper

Some bettas are like that. They don't do well on bigger spaces even though it's better for them. Some just like it in a smaller area and some don't like a lot of flow or none at all.

Can the hubby try feeding him the FBW?

Nope, we can't have it anywhere in the house (anaphylaxis, we tried) and he wouldn't do it anyway. He hates me fish and will only tolerate helping me with builds (because he likes designing things) and water changes when I'm super pregnant, as I am right now (a month or so to go, yay!).

Poor betta is just laying there on the bottom. There isn't any real current, the filtration is an air driven sponge. Plenty of hiding spaces and tall plants too. Like I said he is just off and has been for awhile but I can see no cause. Our house is a little too cold for him to languish in a jar or cup and even when I drop food right in front of him he makes no move toward it, so I don't think a smaller water volume will help with the eating issues. Weirdly he did great in this tank for the first month. He was very non-aggressive even for a betta but he swam around and ate at least. I have no idea what precipitated the change.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Discovered this leak on Ulliri's tank this morning. Not severe, but there. Pulled water level down a tad and chucked Ulliri into main tank. Will just tag some sealant right there. Not going to take everything apart. Should be fine.

4 itsy bitsy fish should be okay in that tank if I increase WC. Haven't had any quality issues at all as it stands. Ulliri has already settled in okay. Will likely leave him there now that I have my perfect excuse for a new fishy.

Setting up 10 gallon QT - I've been itching for a new fish.

post-25299-0-92125200-1479425059_thumb.j

• Helper

Taryl... You must REALLY love kids! How many will this one be? 5?

Number six! And funny enough I've never been a kid person, I'd changed two diapers prior to having my first. But they grow on you! It's a lot easier now than it was initially, and the benefits of adding more people outweigh the disadvantages like noise and mess and expense. They're turning into great people and I like them better than most everyone else on the planet save their dad ;)

• Helper

Discovered this leak on Ulliri's tank this morning. Not severe, but there. Pulled water level down a tad and chucked Ulliri into main tank. Will just tag some sealant right there. Not going to take everything apart. Should be fine.

4 itsy bitsy fish should be okay in that tank if I increase WC. Haven't had any quality issues at all as it stands. Ulliri has already settled in okay. Will likely leave him there now that I have my perfect excuse for a new fishy.

Setting up 10 gallon QT - I've been itching for a new fish.

Is it actually leaking from the side seam? I have one that leaks around the rim and it's annoying!

The good news is that leaks are repairable and for pretty cheap, just a few bucks for good silicone caulk. It's cleaning off the old with a razor blades that's time intensive but once it is removed it's not hard to reseal :)

I wouldn't just put silicone over the top of the old unless it's extremely minor leaking, though.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Very mildly leaking from the outside bit on the top. Lowered water and looked... Really minor. Can't really see silicone on the outside? Kinda weird spot to leak.

And 6 kids? SO MANY. To each her own. I'm 27 and have long since decided they aren't for me.

Edited by mjfromga

• Helper

I could handle tanks stocked at 15 gallons per fish much more easily than I could handle 6 children.   :rofl

Me too i think! :rofl I love kids and would love to have a couple of my own some day  but I think that day is quite far away :P I just have to borrow friends kids. 

I may have been a bit naughty today. Oh well Ive handled tanks stocked at 15g per fish before.

Give us a look! I'm soooo hoping you got what I think you got!

jeneQzi.jpg

HZrqh7Z.jpg

FlCJybk.jpg

cZO65y8.jpg

Edited by FishyMandy

I could handle tanks stocked at 15 gallons per fish much more easily than I could handle 6 children. :rofl

Me too i think! :rofl I love kids and would love to have a couple of my own some day but I think that day is quite far away [emoji14] I just have to borrow friends kids.

I may have been a bit naughty today. Oh well Ive handled tanks stocked at 15g per fish before.

Give us a look! I'm soooo hoping you got what I think you got!

jeneQzi.jpg

HZrqh7Z.jpg

FlCJybk.jpg

cZO65y8.jpg

GAH YOU BOUGHT HER! ![emoji7] [emoji7]

Mandy, just to say... Don't make the kids TOO far away. Anything past age 32 or so becomes quite less safe for us and you run the risk of a lot of problems. Not being a know it all, just saying!

• Helper

Oh that fish is AWESOME!!! He's not the Ryukin I thought you bought, he's A CALICO! WAY BETTER! Such a pretty fish. I'm loving the way he carries his tail.

If I could steal...

Yea the fat ryu originally there that has been taunting me for 2 months is still there but twuce the price and I fell head over heels for this guy. There was no doubt in my mind that I wanted him and I knew I was going to regret it a lot if I left the shop without him. As soon as I saw him I felt a connection. Im in love