* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.8

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.8+

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API

* Water temperature? 76°

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 since March

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 Aqueon 55/75 3 sponges

* How often do you change the water and how much? 50% every 6-7 days

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 50% 6 days ago

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 fish. All 2-3" and 10-13 grams or so

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, baking soda, equilibrium

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Repashy, Paradigm, twice daily... BW, treats sometimes

* Any new fish added to the tank? No

* Any medications added to the tank? No

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Prazi for QT of Shembje and Commander, nothing else

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Mouth weird

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No

DSCN3337_zpsn9g48lhq.jpg

All the fish seem fine so far otherwise.

Yes, it does look like it collapsed. If the fish can eat soft, small foods then you should be fine, otherwise it is syringe feeding, surgery, or euthanasia. The surgical solution Lemon had recently is one of the few cases of that I've seen, most of the time it makes sense to euthanize if they cannot manage to eat. Some do okay even with the messed up jaw, especially if they're not competing with other fish to eat.

Flukes can break a jaw but given that you recently quarantined this fish and prazied, it's most likely a congenital thing. I have a ranch with a partially collapsed mouth as well and it is one of those things that pops up in some lines more than others and should be culled for by breeders as a rule, but once you have a fish with the defect it doesn't necessarily mean they cannot live a good life. This state of prolapse of the side of the jaw is the risk, though.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Shembje was gotten late August and had Prazi properly. They don't show signs of flukes but I will Prazi again. Won't help now I suppose. Unfortunate.

This wasn't likely from a lack of prazi. You'd have seen a lot of symptoms before a locked or broken jaw, and you did prazi recently. August was NOT that long ago, unless it was August of last year :)

Really, this was likely just congenital. The breeder who sent me my ranchu with the mouth issue didn't even catch it, and he was looking.

Is he still able to eat?

Edited by Arctic Mama

She's the boss of the tank, growing the best, and eats fine. I got her because she had a fused tail, partially crooked mouth, and is gray like my Boo Boo was.

And much like Boo Boo, looks like that came to bite me. :(

My BEST to Shembje.

Edited by DawnMichele

Thanks Dawn and Taryl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP-wYpvXMYw

The fish is fine for now. She is able to eat fine, always pooping, and she's quite bossy these days. Here they all are after dinner. She was the lightest at first, but last I weighed, is now the heaviest.

Excuse buzzing and my mom babying my dog.

I'd not stress about it so long as she can eat. If it collapsss to where she can't then its decision time on whether you want to hand feed/syringe feed or let her go, but as long as she isn't struggling? No problems.

Gotcha. There's no point in giving them any extra Prazi and I won't waste it. I'm nearly sure she is the one who laid all those eggies in here a while back. She seems healthy besides the mouth. I'll keep an eye on her and ensure she is eating. I don't think syringe feeding her 100% of the time will be realistic so I hope it does not come to that.

Thought it might be nice to update this old thread. Shembje still has the issue as it of course won't get better, but these photos were taken today and she seems absolutely fine. It hasn't gotten worse from what I can tell and she's turned from her wee 14 gram photo in November to an around 50 gram chunky fish. She seems absolutely fine. Hopefully she can live her entire life normally.She has no issues eating. Never been sick or seemed to have any issues besides this one.

GEDC0610_zpslhrwdmdu.jpg

GEDC0611_zpsh67fcbmk.jpg

That is just Awesome to hear. A fish that most ppl would give up on and now she's got a fighting chance to live. You rock hun :thumbs: 

Glad Shembje is doing well.   :thumbup2:

Thanks ladies. Most of my fish are from Walmart and have little issues or imperfections. This one was kinda bad but she seems okay. She can eat 4mm pellets with no trouble.