Sign in to follow this  
Guest ed586

I Can't Believe It! Getting Veiltails

Guest ed586

Hi guys,

Well, I spoke with Al Foster. There aren't any other Veiltail breeders in the U.S.!

Unbelievable. Anyhow, I'm sending in my check and he'll ship me three. They come from the original lineage of the Philidelphia Veiltail started in the mid-1850's. I'll have to send a picture when I get them.

I might cross them with my Ryukin which has the longest tail I've seen. And is quite gourgeous too. I'll send a photo. Soooo COOOOooool! :lol:

Later,

Ed

Guest Fantailkeeper

How much do they cost?

Hi Ed Congrats on your new purchase!!! With that background, it sound like royalty! ;) Can't wait for you to post some pics! Let us know when they come! GOOD LUCK!!!

Boy, Ed, I love those guys, so congratulations !! WHat colors are the fish you are getting?? Al is a great guy to talk to, and he can go endlessly about his fish! :lol:

Guest ed586

Hi again,

My internet connection went down, but I'm back for a now! :)

They cost 50 dollars for a small 1 year old. Al expects that I could have them breeding by summer.

Thanks for the encouragement. :lol: They are mostly gold with white. I think that is what the Philadelphia has always been from what I read and what Al said. These come from the original USA Philidelphia breed and Al is perhaps the only one in the US that is keeping the line going (40 years now). Yes, he certainly can go on and on. :rofl But I loved it because I want to understand all I can about them. I have half a basement for overflow, and good supplies in my area. This is going to be real fun! (I'm sure a lot of hard work too... but that's okay).

Hey, if anybody wants to bring back the Veiltail.... :rolleyes: Just a thought.

Later.....

And if I think about that my brother in Germany gets those veiltails for 2.50 Euro a piece, I could just scream!! They are very common there....

Guest ed586

Wow. Al said that the Red and White Ryukin 15-20 years ago were almost impossible to get, but now they are very popluar and in the lfs. I wonder if my Ryukin has Veiltail in his genes. The finnage is long (still working on photos :lol: ) and quite beautiful.

It is interesting though, I think in Europe they can't get the Phili Veiltail but the British or other varieties. I wonder, maybe the Phildelphia is in other countries, come to think of it. Since his is from the original family, I think they are one of the purest, anyhow. Hmmm.....

Congratulations ed586, let us know when they arrived (as if you wouldn't). Cheers! :D