Andrea

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank): 0
    •  
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank): 0
    •  
    • * Nitrate level(Tank): 0
    •  
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap): Sorry don't have this or a test kit :( Willl be able to get in another 24 hours
    •  
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap): Sorry don't have this or a test kit :( Will be able to get in another 24 hours

• * Nitrate level(Tap): Sorry don't have this or a test kit :( Will be able to get in another 24 hours

• * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 7
    •  
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 7
    •  
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
      •  
      • * Water temperature? 25 degrees
      •  
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 24 gallons, 6-7 years
      •  
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqua One, AQUIS 700, 400L per hour
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Once a month, 40-60%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday, 50%
  •  
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 goldfish, 10cms
  •  
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Prime and Seachem Stability
  •  
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Sinking pellets mainly, once a day, Fluval brand. A pea once or twice a week
  •  
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  •  
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • Another goldfish died of dropsy that lived in this tank with current fish, over 3 years ago. Treated this goldfish outside the tank with antibiotics. Salt and melafix has been used for a 'rash' that would also appear on this goldfish over 3 years ago. No treatments for current fish or over past 3 years.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • Either scale lose or a fungi growing on fish, very hard to tell
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Normal behaviour, slightly clamped fins at small intervals. But trying to rub on a rock a lot! Almost like she is trying to get under it, but I think is trying to itch or is being irritated?

Hi!

So as said, I'm having a problem with my comet fish called Clementine which is either some scale lose, a fungi or possibly parasites. I'm a bit of a loss and I'm not sure what to do and I would love your help.

I've attached photos but it's very hard to get a photo of. It does not appear cotton like, it appears quite flat but looks more than just scale lose. It's been like this for a few days now, has not worsened or gotten better. Clementine seems her happy self and is eating and swimming around. I only think it could be parasites as she is rubbing at the rock a lot, I added plants a few months ago (which she ate within 2 weeks) but nothing else has been added.

Oh temperature has been fluctuating a bit, by a few degrees as our weather is extremely up and down at the moment.

Please let me know if I need to answer any more questions :)

IMG_4005_zpsvdiqzrsy.jpgIMG_4006_zps5r5i7kul.jpg

I have never prazi'd the tank. Should I do it now?

Would the scratch be worth treating with some salt or melafix?

A photo of the whole tank, just silk plants and mainly smooth rocks. I add plants every now and then but mainly for clementine to eat :)

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k597/Andrea-Cronshaw/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps0xajks33.jpeg

• Helper

Hi there! Please read our updated guidelines on goldfish care - I think it will answer some things your post brings up, including an insufficient water change schedule (50-80% weekly is really kind of a minimum unless your water is so bad that daily or twice weekly smaller changes are more wise).

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121320-kokos-goldfish-forum-guidelines-for-healthy-goldfish/

Koko is right that prazi would be the first step, along with addressing the water issues and getting a new test kit so you have the data. Water changes and keeping an eye on the tank parameters prevents SO many issues in terms of fish health. We are water keepers, first and foremost, and keeping that prioritized will eliminate a lot of common issues with health of your comet.

Praziquantel, what Koko recommended, is a treatment we use for management of gill flukes. They're a common goldfish malady and many of us end up treating once or twice yearly in addition to nailing it hard during the preliminary quarantine period. We ar snappy to walk you through treatment once you've acquired the medication. Powdered prazi is my favorite and available inexpensively online, but liquid prazi by Hikari (called PraziPro) is another viable option and may be available to to you locally at the fish store :)

• Helper

I have never prazi'd the tank. Should I do it now?

Would the scratch be worth treating with some salt or melafix?

A photo of the whole tank, just silk plants and mainly smooth rocks. I add plants every now and then but mainly for clementine to eat :)

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k597/Andrea-Cronshaw/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps0xajks33.jpeg

No topical treatment for now should be needed unless you see redness or inflammation of the site. Water changes every few days should suffice in keeping the tank clean enough to promote healing without medication, which is ideal.

Thanks so much! Going to get some prazi and will update you guys with what I can get. I'm gonna up my water changes too, I think I got complacent as my water results were always so good.

This is what I managed to get https://www.aquaristiconline.com.au/products/blueplanetfluketapeworm25tablets does it look ok and am I ready to go ahead and follow the instructions for treatment? It does say clean the filter have treatment, what do you think they mean by this? I don't use carbon in my filter, would it be worth just adding some for a bit after completion.

You don't need carbon to remove the prazi, which has no toxicity to the fish at the concentration used for treatment.  Water changes eventually eliminate it completely.