What should I see?

Hello,

I never know under what topic to put these things.

A couple months ago, I bought a compound microscope with 40X-2000X magnification because I was curious as to what the magnified slime coat on my very sick ranchu looked like. I found a few flukes (live, btw, it was very interesting to follow them around the slide) and several random bacteria, all of which I was treating for under the supervision of a helper sub here.

I'm considering doing this to my new ranchu who just came from Dandy Orandas a couple weeks ago. He appears perfectly healthy, I'm just curious. I like to know what things look like.

Will all fish have a couple parasites or will a perfectly healthy fish be totally free of anything out of the ordinary?

I've been trained to handle samples and slides etc, I'm not just throwing things around... but I also like to venture on my own every now and then and see things for myself.

I know years ago, Helen had an amazing microscope and what she found was always interesting, but her microscope was also much more impressive than mine lol.

Anyway, any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

• Helper

Good question! Even healthy fish tend to have topical colonization of some species of parasites and bacteria, so it can be tricky to know what is and isn't normal. I'd tend to consider 'load' or volume an indicator of a problem, along with behaviors changes, and everything else as 'normal'.

I'm interested to hear what the microscopy guru has to say as well!

Good question! Even healthy fish tend to have topical colonization of some species of parasites and bacteria, so it can be tricky to know what is and isn't normal. I'd tend to consider 'load' or volume an indicator of a problem, along with behaviors changes, and everything else as 'normal'.

I'm interested to hear what the microscopy guru has to say as well!

Thanks! It's weird because since I left Koko's a couple years ago, I've been in school... and doing anything out of the program was severely looked down upon. I can understand if there is a risk to human or animal but I never saw any harm in doing this. It's nice to have someone who encourages safe curiosity. I mean, otherwise... how do we know what's normal and what's sick???

I'm also curious as to what someone with more experience with a microscope has to say. I think this is fascinating :)