dropsy and other issues.

fishnoob

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) /

* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrate level(Tank) about 10 (all of these in mg/l)

* Ammonia Level(Tap) /

* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0

* Nitrate level(Tap) 10

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7, kh 8, gh 10

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6, kh 6, gh 8

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Tetra "Test 6 in 1" strips

* Water temperature? 21 celsius/ 70 fahrenheit

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? ~12g (yes i know its small, he lives in a ~45g pond during summer) and about 2 weeks

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? idk it was in the tank kit

* How often do you change the water and how much? 50-80% every couple days

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 1 hour ago, 50%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 1, about 5cm without the tail, 9 with

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? conditioner: MultiFit "Water Conditioning Agent", additives: Tetra "Bactozym" (supposed to support beneficial bacteria)

* What do you feed your fish and how often? live foods (larvae), JBL "Goldpearls" pellets (coated in garlic juice), dried foods, raw cucumber. small quantities throughout the day

* Any new fish added to the tank? nope

* Any medications added to the tank? Tetra "GoldMed"

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. GoldMed, for about a week now

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? blood veins in fins, "wen" growth (not sure if it really is), pineconing, slightly clamped fins

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? bottom sitting, scratching on glass and tank decor, lethargy

so, yeah. now that i worked through that. hes been pineconing for over a week, 10 days? at first he was just behaving new-tank-syndromeish, then suddenly bloated. after the first dose of GoldMed, he behaved fine and stopped clamping his fins but the veins and pineconing and scratching remained. now for a few days hes been bottom sitting. he is not completely lethargic, he still goes after food, but usually he just sits around. any advice?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GoldMed:

-its a solution to add to the tank water

-contains, per 100ml:

1.54g formaldehyde

14.43mg of malachite green oxalate

(how do i add pictures?)

GoldMed:

-its a solution to add to the tank water

-contains, per 100ml:

1.54g formaldehyde

14.43mg of malachite green oxalate

(how do i add pictures?)

That isn't going to help with the dropsy unfortunately. Is the course of treatment almost done?

You can use Photobucket or imigur to upload pictures. Copy the IMG link and paste it on the forum.

Are you able to get any fish antibiotics?  Metronidazole?  triple sulfa?  furan? :idont

You can add about 1/2 tsp of Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) to the tank to help with the bloating but, like Mikey said, the current medication you're using isn't going to help with the dropsy.  

i can try to search for antibiotics i guess. not sure if ill find any tho.. living in a small town and my parents arent fond of ordering things online.

about the epsom salt, ive read some other peoples advice and they said not to use epsom but regular salt for dropsy? so what does "normal" salt do and whats epsom good for?

i can try to search for antibiotics i guess. not sure if ill find any tho.. living in a small town and my parents arent fond of ordering things online.

about the epsom salt, ive read some other peoples advice and they said not to use epsom but regular salt for dropsy? so what does "normal" salt do and whats epsom good for?

whatever you do, please do NOT add regular salt in there. That will only make the bloating worse by retaining the fluid. The Epsom salt helps expel it. Where did you read to put regular salt in?

well great... my parents arent going to let me get that off the internet. should i try to treat him with epsom salt if i find any? are there any alternatives or, uh, "home remedies"? or should i give a normal salt bath a try at least?

• Supporter

well great... my parents arent going to let me get that off the internet. should i try to treat him with epsom salt if i find any? are there any alternatives or, uh, "home remedies"? or should i give a normal salt bath a try at least?

I would definitely NOT use regular salt. I would use epsom salt

can i add more epsom if its not helping?

stay with the 1/2 tsp per ten gallons for now, it can take a few days to work. It isn't an instant fix for bloating unfortunately.

The vet may be able to give you some Meds, I'm not sure though. Try giving them a call and explaining and see what they say.

Edited by Mikey