Sign in to follow this  
hannah

Tank size...

My ranchu is blind and also not coping with the depth of his tank, so I want to keep him separate. He's about 3 years old and only grew to about 2.5" in a 60 gallon tank.

At the moment he's chilling in my 10 gallon tank where I grow out plants, and slowly destroying it. He's pretty happy, and I was wondering if he could stay there. I've had no water quality issues so far.

Is that a bad idea?  :hide:

Also, what would be the most gentle filtration for him? Sponge filters are my enemy!

I kept a goldie in a 10g for quite while to see if it helped her when she wasn't coping with the depth of the main tank. It worked well, just kept an extra eye on water parameters to make sure it was all good. So I think it would be fine, especially if he seems happier in the smaller tank and shallower depth. I used a sponge filter with mine but you could probably get a HOB and buffer the flow

My Rhonda is over a year old and is only 2" and 22 grams. She's a Ryukin and is growing a horrible super long ribbon tail and struggling to manage depth and a ten gallon is fine for her. She won't grow anymore. A ten gallon shallow storage tub is better than a regular tank, though.

A ten gallon underbed tote works great.  It has the swimming space of a large tank, and the fish has the comfort of 4-6" of water.  

IKEA has a great box.  While it looks white in the picture it's actually clear.  It holds fifteen gallons of water.  It has the surface area of a 40B or 55 gallon.

My Rhonda is over a year old and is only 2" and 22 grams. She's a Ryukin and is growing a horrible super long ribbon tail and struggling to manage depth and a ten gallon is fine for her. She won't grow anymore. A ten gallon shallow storage tub is better than a regular tank, though.

A Welsh name? That's pretty cool. That's great that a 10G is working out.

A ten gallon underbed tote works great.  It has the swimming space of a large tank, and the fish has the comfort of 4-6" of water.  

IKEA has a great box.  While it looks white in the picture it's actually clear.  It holds fifteen gallons of water.  It has the surface area of a 40B or 55 gallon.

I can't fit that tote anywhere width-wise unfortunately.  :(

If I got him a 30" 20 gallon, would it suffice? That way I can have a display tank and he can have more length to swim. He's pretty slow anyway.

That's not bad at all - just do what you can with the space you have. Surface area is very important for gas exchange, and that's not a bad sized tote.

I ordered a 50L tote after. It'll do until I can bring myself to spend £80+ on a 20 gallon tank!