• * Ammonia Level(Tap) .25 ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0 ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0 ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.8
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.8
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
      • * Water temperature? around 70
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 18 gallon tub, running for maybe two weeks
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? tetra 10, marineland 10 (200 gph combined)
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? daily 33%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? this morning, 33%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fish, 3" and 63 grams
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? repashy, once ot twice daily
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? just the only fish there so no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. N/A
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? wen ulcer. fish had severe blood streaking in fins when I got it, some still there, but greatly reduced
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? nope

DSCN2944_zpsazrhwse8.jpg

Appeared overnight. Literally. Thanks for any help. I don't want him to die.

DSCN2946_zps1slemqt8.jpg

It is worth noting that when I lightly scraped it to try and see what it felt like or was under it just now.... the red blotch easily came right off! The rest of the wen seems normal and definitely didn't come loose when scraped lightly like this thing. I didn't mean to scrape it off. What is this? Citrine seems oblivious to the mush action going on on top of his head.

• Admin

Didn't bleed at all Koko. Just cleanly came right off. I'll swab it. Anything else to do?

I would just do that for now, and see how it looks, if it changes then we can do something else :)

Thanks. Did another 33% WC and did manage to hold him still and swab the area nicely. I'll be keeping a close eye on it. Not well versed on the goings on of these "mush" things on their heads.

• Helper

Thanks. Did another 33% WC and did manage to hold him still and swab the area nicely. I'll be keeping a close eye on it. Not well versed on the goings on of these "mush" things on their heads.

Wens are weird and do all sorts of weird things. Really. Most of it is normal, the only thing I get exercised about it when it looks like it is deteriorating or rotting. White patches, spots, weird shapes and growth, etc, all pretty typical.

Wens are weird and do all sorts of weird things. Really. Most of it is normal, the only thing I get exercised about it when it looks like it is deteriorating or rotting. White patches, spots, weird shapes and growth, etc, all pretty typical.

Thanks. He's got quite a lot of the mush on his head. I'll be sure to be on the lookout for any changes.

• 2 weeks later...

Photobucket never works right anymore, I'll probably change over to another host soon... but I just took some pictures and his mush is perfectly fine. I've caught him mushing under the filter thingies so got some covers that'll be here soon. No mushy abnormalities in sight.

DSCN3119_zpseornq1qe.jpg

DSCN3114_zpstn00hy3w.jpg

• Helper

He looks good! Wens are just one of those things that behave a little weirdly and most of the weird is in fact normal. But it can be a little difficult to tell when something is and isn't cause for alarm even if you're experienced! It just depends on the fish and other behavioral factors.